1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Grounded Rule needs to change

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by welcometohavoc, Mar 7, 2021.

1. welcometohavoc Yellow Card Yellow Card

Firstly let me say that Yan's knee was 100% illegal under the current rules and Sterling had no reason to expect it. That being said, that knee from Yan should be legal 100%.

The grounded opponent rule was created to protect fighters from having their heads smashed against the canvas by knees/stomps ala Mark Coleman vs. Igor Vovchanchyn or Kevin Randleman vs. Kenichi Yamamoto, not to protect them from getting struck in a crouching position. The definition of grounded needs to be changed to refer only to fighters who are on their backs or in a turtle position. Its an outdated rule that does nothing for safety and just limits fighters tools.

Strategery, cosminmcm, Phill and 17 others like this.
  2. RerouteToRemain Silver Belt

100% agree. On the stomach or back should be considered grounded while hands or knees touching should be fair game. It's ridiculous that these guys can attempt takedowns get stuffed and then not get punished for it because they intentionally put a hand or knee down stalling to find a safe time to stand up.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. Tweak896 Black Belt

I meam Yan could've found other ways to win, that was just sloppy. No need for rule changes.

4. El Fernas Silver Belt

You are years behind, he had a knee down, not just touching it with one hand...that rule has changed a while back.

5. welcometohavoc Yellow Card Yellow Card

100% irrelevant. The only reason we're talking about this is because this was the most recent example, but the rule is just garbage in general. There is no reason for that knee to be illegal yet a guy like Brock Lesnar can elbow a guys head through the canvas when he's on his back

justalurker and Whoa Nelly like this.
  6. Jokeri Green Belt

Absolutely

7. welcometohavoc Yellow Card Yellow Card

I clearly laid out what I think a grounded opponent should be. A guy on his back or in the turtle position. You're just arguing semantics for the sake of arguing.

Mamou and Pressure Project like this.
  8. Chuck Brown Belt Platinum Member

Totally agree

9. Jinx_AA Brown Belt

Garbage rule

It was instinct not a malicious attempt to cheat

justalurker and mma03 like this.
  10. El Fernas Silver Belt

Pointing out that a rule on what means ground has been changed already, you just want almost everything on the ground to be legal like UFC 1, Aljo wasnt playing a rules game like most used to before the rules got changed, now you ask for a knee down to not be considered as grounded.

Mr.Maelstrom and RogerB08 like this.
  11. Nate banged my mom Banned Banned

Paper champ sterling

never forget

12. welcometohavoc Yellow Card Yellow Card

I said absolutely no such thing. I said the grounded rule should only refer to fighters on their back or in a turtle position. I have no idea how you can reach this conclusion unless you're just trying to be obtuse

13. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Actually, this article makes a very compelling argument that that’s exactly what Sterling was doing - playing a rules game. And that what he was doing was a perfect example of why the rule needs changing.

https://www.mmamania.com/2021/3/7/2...time-to-legalize-knees-to-a-grounded-opponent

curious if you agree or disagree after reading it.

Attached Files:

aerius likes this.
  14. Smoke Detector Battery Titanium Belt

The intentional hand on the ground is egregious. I would extend your definition of grounded to include shoulder, hip, butt/pelvis. All of those are clearly a downed.

RerouteToRemain likes this.
  15. Krixes The Undefeated Gaul Platinum Member

I agree, Aljo was playing that game all night. Fighters do it all the time, those knees should be legal. I was glad MM supports this take.

aerius likes this.
  16. TheChance Red Belt

ahhhhgh, not this shit again

17. MMAProfessional Golden Belt

I don't get why the UFC doesn't make everything illegal aside from the obvious stuff like groin shots and eye gauges.

18. Xoleth Brown Belt

TS is right
    It is a stupid rule

19. Huligani Number One Bullshit

I agree. Yan is guilty, Aljo did nothing wrong and it was appropriate that Yan was disqualified. But the rule is shit, it causes fighters to play this idiotic "I'm up! I'm down!" game which is NOT fighting. Then there's the fact that there are two variations of the rule based on where you're fighting, which makes it confusing. 12-6 elbows and knees to grounded opponents should be allowed, both would make for more exciting fights too.

20. moreorless87 Straba

Coleman's biggest knee KO was against a crouching opponent in Goes, thats actually the most dangerous position for taking knees and soccer kicks and something people normally avoided much more in Pride falling back to open guard more.

Really thats the main arguement for dropping the rule I would say, in Pride when fighter had adapted you actually had very few plum knees or soccer kicks on the ground, it was more about forcing fighters to fight in a certain way avoiding dangerous positions.