Ground and Pround Question

s1fys

abc
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey, have been training pure JJ and boxing for awhile, and i was just wondering:

Is it effective to land elbows to the body while in the guard?

It is not very common from fights i've watched as fighters often target the head, but isnt it safer to land elbow strikes to the body, and quite damaging?

im really new so go easy on me :\

Hey, have been training pure JJ and boxing for awhile, and i was just wondering:

It is not very common from fights i've watched as fighters often target the head, but isnt it safer to land elbow strikes to the body, and quite damaging?

Depends on your position, you'll see them more from side then guard. They can hurt, but you don't get as much power behind strikes on the ground as you do standing. In guard they are risky due to submissions, from mount you'll be too high up to land to the body.

I'd imagine that throwing a downward elbow to the body from in the guard would put that arm in perfect position for an armbar that and the torque of the body if you opponent was able to hook the arm or leave you very vaunerable for a sweep???

Though when training street I always thought a downward elbow to the nuts from the guard would be a good one.....

I'd imagine that throwing a downward elbow to the body from in the guard would put that arm in perfect position for an armbar that and the torque of the body if you opponent was able to hook the arm or leave you very vaunerable for a sweep???

Though when training street I always thought a downward elbow to the nuts from the guard would be a good one.....

My teacher made a joke that the way a guy who trained Kali passes guard is that he stabs someone under the leg with his knife over and over until he moves.

...made me laugh.

Mainly you don't see it becuase it is banned. The best elbow strike to teh body from guard is a 12-6 which is currently banned under unified rules.

If I were you, I'd use my JJ to pass instead of just laying in guard like some wrestlers have been doing lately. But you're thinkin'. I like that.

You betcha, that's how Rampage softened up Chuck in their first fight.

If I were you, I'd use my JJ to pass instead of just laying in guard like some wrestlers have been doing lately. But you're thinkin'. I like that.
If you can get it done like Tito used to, there's nothing wrong with hanging out in the guard.

Well, I mean, the longer you're in guard, the more oppurtunities you give your opponent to submit you. Plus, you can't do a whole lot of damage anyways unless you stack him against the cage. Elbows also don't do much besides cut you, anyhow, unless you happen to Johnny Bones.

not elbow down, forearm on the sternum can knock the wind out of someone, or at least make them lower their hands

Back