Groovy FOTN in the making

Skipped around the video a bit but you are right, his face even looks a bit like Anderson too lol. He's 32 which is around when Anderson made his UFC run. How weird would it be if his debut ends up being like Anderson's.

I think it would be smart for Lando to use his grappling in this one. Seems like the path of least resistance. I noticed he has some TKO losses too, I'm wondering if they're from GnP after getting outgrappled or if he got dropped standing.
I only saw the 2 fights... this one & Cicero Coutinho... & in both, there wasn't a whole lot of stand up "exchanges." More timid feeling out... & Marcos is definitely a counter puncher. Both of Marcos' opponents who beat him... did their work on the ground.

Per making a run - His ground game & TDD is WAY too weak to make any kind of run. A good wrestler would absolutely maul him. The only chance he has at winning is on the feet & so this is a good chance to take on someone who will likely stand with him.

However, like you said... after watching his ground game, it would be super smart for groovy to ground him & finish him off just to be sure & get that W. We'll see how it plays out. I'd like to see them standing & throwing. Marcos got some groove & flow on the feet so I think we'll see some really poetic type of movement if they duke it out.

Last edited:
I'm conflicted on this fight. I don't want to see Lando lose because even though he's exciting I feel like a loss could potentially see him getting cut in the UFC.

But also, the guy he's fighting is nicknamed 'Dhalsim' and appears to be Anderson's training partner/friend and it'd be cool to see another guy fighting like Anderson doing well.

Maybe it'll be another FOTN draw lol
he´s from Spider´s new team, "Killer Bees"

Groovy pre-fight interview 02/07/19

· Start – tough but educational & humbling UFC journey… getting through depression to feeling really good now
· 2:53 – His record doesn’t tell the whole story… you gotta watch the fights.
· 3:45 – I’ll fight anyone.
· 4:18 – will probably always get into these dog fights, but he tries to keep it smart
· 5:15 – Prelims are fine… I’m helping to sell fight pass
· 6:15 – Sees this being a very dominant fight for him & breaking Marcos’ will.

Props to Groovy and the Legion
Put the beat down on Dave Chappelle Junior something serious
Hespect

TIME TO CELEBRATE GROOVY STYLE
YSWqypR.png

There's nothing to celebrate, Lando's opponent was a complete bum who belongs in Cage Warriors, not UFC.
<{1-8}>
If there´s nothin´to celebrate, consequently there´s nothin´ to comment, so wtf...are...ya....doin´....here...?

Anderson is definitely is idol. His standup "style" reminds me much of Anderson's (though he's not anywhere near the same level). Watch this Dude's interview. His facial expressions are almost spooky how much he's taking after Anderson. I wouldn't even question it if you told me that was his son.

His striking´s better now, but still a problematic TDD & guard.

Lando stepped up to co-main and delivered. Glad he got the W and the finish.

Not even close to FOTN lol, mainly because an Anderson Silva lookalike with no BJJ experience, sporting a 6-4 record was the guy who he was fighting.

Not even close to FOTN lol, mainly because an Anderson Silva lookalike with no BJJ experience, sporting a 6-4 record was the guy who he was fighting.
  • Highlight reel take down
  • Vicious GnP from inside the guard (Randy Couture style)
  • Very precisely placed submission as soon as it presented itself.
What's not to love? he finished him too diligently to get FOTN. Still a great performance though.

I tell ya, you just can't win with the resistance. Give them fight of the night with a razor close decision & they bitch about not getting a win. Get a clear cut & calculated win with a great strategy & they bitch because it was too efficient to get FOTN...

<{vega}>

On first glance I didn't appreciate the things Marcos was doing on the ground, but I've seen the fight about 5 or 6 times now & Marcos definitely showed a decent amount of training. He was effectively holding half guard while shrimping to make space... & then he bucked & moved into full guard. Even threw a couple of sub attempts. You could never do that with (as you said) "no BJJ experience."

Don't get me wrong... he's still in the early stages... but lets not completely discredit his effort. He's probably an early blue belt... or knocking on the door of blue belt I would say. I haven't heard, but just based on what I saw in this fight & 2 others of his I've seen, that's what I'm guessing. He does have the fundamentals though to launch into all the cool things a blue belt learns.

Last edited:
How the hell did he not get a SOTN bonus?

How the hell did he not get a SOTN bonus?
Was a masterful performance of GnP with a very precise submission in round 1.

De le Rosa's fight was similar in that she was on top & working GnP. Her final submission scramble (in round 2) was an arm bar that transitioned to just the triangle & then some GnP... but then back to the arm. it was a longer sequence for her whereas Groovy just very efficiently grabbed it & got it just like that. I don't know why Groovy didn't get it instead of her.

Given that both fights were pretty similar, & Groovy was more efficient, you'd think he would get it.

Devonte pretty much sparred for 4 minutes... but he did land a sweet KO...

I found Groovy's fight more entertaining than both of them, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Back