Gripping inside the sleeves in BJJ

You can not grip with your fingers "inside" of your opponents sleeves or pants. You can grip with your fingers inside of YOUR OWN sleeves/pants though (i.e. ezekial)

it's illegal because you can't safely break the grips without injuring your opponents fingers. it's a fighter safety rule spawned from too many sprained/broken digits.

This is why a pistol grip or cuff grip is necessary. If you put your thumb into the sleeve and then turn it out, it creates a cuff that your fingers can go into, but it's really outside of the sleeve.

You can not grip with your fingers "inside" of your opponents sleeves or pants. You can grip with your fingers inside of YOUR OWN sleeves/pants though (i.e. ezekial)

Funny that right after I posted this, I saw someone do an Ezekiel choke and immediately said to myself that the rule must apply to only the opponent's sleeves/pants.

If you want to see why in person, ask someone to show you spider guard.

Make the grips inside the sleeves.. then have them pass your guard. Have 911 ready though :D

So basically, the rule is there for the safety of the person doing the gripping. I'll take your guys' word for it as I don't think I need/want to see the aftermath of what can go wrong.

Thanks for the responses.

Try it with a partner (carefully). The person trying to break that grip will easily trap and twist some fingers, so yes, it's for the safety of the gripper. :p Same rule in Judo.

I actually fractured a purple belts middle and 3rd finger because he grabbed inside my pants for a guard pass. The guy is strong so i used my free leg to help, and all of a sudden i herd a *CRACK* like a twig snapping.....Fractured both his fingers. His fingers got twisted inside my pant leg, and he couldn't physically let go when i tried to kick away his grip.

Thats why we have the rule.

Back