Gripfighting

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Lemniscate, May 26, 2014.

1. Lemniscate

Lemniscate White Belt

Can someone please explain gripfighting to me please? It seems pretty useless to fight for grips because when you get your grips, you can't defend the other person getting their grips. I just don't understand.

2. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

Incorrect- just watch Judo. Better grips dominate positions. Also your thinking of starting in a standard 50/50 grip position. It doesn't work that way once you face a seasoned opp.

I also grip fight when I'm on bottom and top. I always want my grip to control my opp, so I'm in better position to attempt a sub or sweep. As for top - the grips add to my pressure.

3. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

You are so wrong that i cant even think of an appropiate response.

4. The Apostle

The Apostle Green Belt

Your grips are supposed to control the connections therefore dictate the action. They're reacting.

5. FatherSauce

FatherSauce Blue Belt

I assume you are very new. I'm pretty new myself and have only begun understanding grip fighting, but I can say this. It is super important. You can't get where you want to be or stop your opponent from advancing without some kind of grip control.

6. had0uken

had0uken White Belt

Fundamentals 101! Grip Fighting is the most important aspect of any form of grappling. It's called grappling for a reason. When you have grips, you're most likely on the offensive side and are in dominant control. You can't pass, perform a submission or do anything without the proper grip control.

7. DaRuckus337

DaRuckus337 Black Belt

It's the single most important aspect of ANY grappling sport. Against a comparably skilled and sized opponent, you lose the grip battles, you lose the match.

8. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Are you trolling? Because I can't tell. Grips are so important it's not even controversial like double guard pulls and 50/50 guard. Or even sport vs street JJ.

9. Thai Otoshi

Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

Yes you can.

If they're too busy getting thrown, or pushed and pulled around, or if you use your arms to block their hands from advancing, you have effectively defended against your opponent's grips while still holding onto yours.

Also, to test your reservations about gripfighting, just allow your partners to get their grips your next randori session. Watch what happens.

10. almann1979

almann1979 Orange Belt

I don't think he is trolling. As a fellow newbie it confuses me that to attack, for example the scissor sweep, I need to let go of my opponents sleeves. When I am grabbing my opponents sleeves I don't know what else to do really, so why do it?

I know its super important, because everybody tells me so, I guess that it doesn't get explained as often as other bjj techniques.

11. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 Green Belt

I know that to more experienced practitioners this seems like a really stupid question, but I understand where TS is coming from. There are lots of situations where instructors teach students to do X (get grips, push, pull, put your foot here, put your knee here, and so on) but they don't actually show them WHY the grip is important to the technique.

In my experience, this tends to be more true in jiu-jitsu than in judo, because judo teaches use of hikite and tsurite to establish kuzushi, and without those things throwing people is practically impossible.

TS, grips are really, REALLY important in all forms of grappling, with or without the gi. I understand what you mean when you say that by getting your own grips, you're tying up your hands so you can't stop your opponent from gripping, but truly dominant grips will have your opponent so worried about your attack that they have no choice but to fight your grips instead of imposing their own game.

The next time you train, do a little critical thinking about what your grips actually DO when you're executing a particular move.

Are you using the sleeve and collar grip to pull their weight on to you as you move so that they can't base to stop the scissor or butterfly sweep? Or maybe you're standing and your collar grip is being used to break your opponent's balance backward so that the reaping movement of a throw like osoto gari is essentially weightless?

If you're receiving quality instruction, the grips you're being shown should function as essential components of each technique.

12. Thai Otoshi

Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

TS never did specify which art(s) he practices...

13. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I assume you are talking from standing.

What if I tell you that I could grab your sleeve and prevent you from grabing me.

Then I can rag doll you around the mats until I decided to set up my favorite throw as soon as I can get off balance and can get my second grip to set up my "insert favorite throw name".

That is grip fighting is for.

14. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

How ?

This is actually really interesting. I think I will start another thread related to this question.

Unless you are behind your opponent in which only you can grab him and he cannot grab you, in both no gi and gi, then I cant see how you can prevent me from grabbing you somewhere.

15. Thai Otoshi

Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

I think he means he can prevent you from getting your ideal grip, and not just ANY grip.

16. MadSquabbles500

Of course,

But then what kind of dominant grip are you getting on me?

If you grab me by the elbow, I can still probably grab you by the elbow with the same arm. Or is it about keeping your arm outside or inside, top or bottom?

17. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

well, I was reffering to GI as I explained that you can control the sleeve to control your opponent and prevent him from grabbing you.

I grab your right sleeve with my left hand. I prefer controlling the outside of the sleeve and push your wrist down.

I will stiffen my left arm and will not let break that original grip, I will walk back and put my right hand to block and prevent you attempting to grab my lapel or sleeve with your left hand.

I most probably walk back half circle as well and shake you around to make you lose balance but most importantly I want to force your feets to be in a specific stance that is favorable to my favorite throw and then I will set my second grip to order to attempt my throw.

18. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

19. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

20. MadSquabbles500

But then, cant he grab your sleeve and just give you taste of your own medicine for lack of better term?