Grip training???

peanut butter said:
isnt the hub training your whole hand like the block?

Yeah, but you can't snatch or press a hub attached to a loading pin.

I never got the point of investing money or time in a pinchblock when you can just walk outside and find a nice heavy, round rock and do the same thing...and there are tons of other things lying around the house that could be used as well...

for the purposes of training your grip wouldnt a hub with a loading pin be better, because you can add more weight

peanut butter said:
for the purposes of training your grip wouldnt a hub with a loading pin be better, because you can add more weight

There are ways of adding weight to a blockweight if you want..

Okay, first: Yes, I am a fucking newbie. Now that I've admitted it, no one else has to bring it up.

Second: why would I want to train grip and press / snatch at the same time? If I want to work grip, I'll work grip, if I want to press, I'll press, and by God, if I want to do cleans, I'll clean.

Is there some benefit to cleaning weights I can't wrap my whole hand around the way I can a bar? If I'm doing shoulder presses (or whatever), I'm not really working grip much, am I?

peanut butter said:
A heavier blockweight is also wider and has more sloped sides and his therefore harder to hold onto for several reasons. and sonny is right, there are ways to add weight to a blockweight, but IMO, it's unecessary until you can lift the blob (head of a 100 lb db)

cfiore6006 said:
Okay, first: Yes, I am a fucking newbie. Now that I've admitted it, no one else has to bring it up.

Second: why would I want to train grip and press / snatch at the same time? If I want to work grip, I'll work grip, if I want to press, I'll press, and by God, if I want to do cleans, I'll clean.

Is there some benefit to cleaning weights I can't wrap my whole hand around the way I can a bar? If I'm doing shoulder presses (or whatever), I'm not really working grip much, am I?

The momentum from snatching and cleaning the blockweight makes it harder to hold onto.

cfiore6006 said:
why would I want to train grip and press / snatch at the same time? If I want to work grip, I'll work grip, if I want to press, I'll press, and by God, if I want to do cleans, I'll clean.

well, yeah there is an added benefit. I have sometimes fantasized about a gym with an assortment of thick barbells and dumbells ranging from 1" all the way up to 3". People in this gym would ask themselves the following question on any exercise they had to grip the weight to perform, "can I hold onto the weight easily?" and if the answer is yes, they need a thicker bar. This would apply to rows, deadlifts, pullups, curls, oly movements, etc.

Now, asside from simply making grip another factor in existing exercises, the demand for stabilizing and reacting to moving an object that is difficult to hold onto on your lower arms is very useful. I mean, in a thickbar clean the catch is very different to accomodate the wider bar, and the stress on the wrists differs as well. The same can be said about blockweight oly movments, you have to stabilize that blockweight in your hand. this takes additional thumb, finger and wrist strength all working together to form a vicelike grip. Consider KB presses with the bell up and the handle down (pavel has a name for these I just can't recall it right now). This takes a lot of effort to keep the bell from coming down and crashing into your forearm.

Lastly, pulling an object from the floor with the power to move it overhead or to clean position in one swift movment is more demanding on the grip. You have to suddenly wrench down your grip on it and then keep that grip solid through quite a complex movment. there's a lot to be said for being able to do that, which gives these feats a merit of their own. consider how much more difficult it is to clean the inch DB rather than just deadlift it.

hey guys what do you think about the block weight attachment on ironmind.com I think Im gonna get that

the pinch block? you STILL can't to tosses, curls, or olympic lifts with it. get it out of your head: anything using a loading pin sucks as a block weight. Furthermore, ironmind's pinch block is REALLY REALLY smooth, and if you have the slightest bit of oil on your hands you'll miss a lift. shit another 10 lbs on that sucker and I coulda beat edgin at the last grip comp I went to. and chalk doesn't help.

here's how you make an ajustable block weight: go out and buy a DB (hex or preferably an old round york one (good luck finding one)), now drill a holl in on side of the edge (one of the six sides of the hex), now tap a thread in it, put a washer bigger than 1" on a bolt and use that to pin a plate in place flush against the block so it won't move.

Why would I want to do olympic lifts???????? or any of that other stuff?

tommboy said:
Why would I want to do olympic lifts???????? or any of that other stuff?
to prove you're not paying attention I'll quote myself in a post I just made earlier in the thread.

Urban said:
well, yeah there is an added benefit. I have sometimes fantasized about a gym with an assortment of thick barbells and dumbells ranging from 1" all the way up to 3". People in this gym would ask themselves the following question on any exercise they had to grip the weight to perform, "can I hold onto the weight easily?" and if the answer is yes, they need a thicker bar. This would apply to rows, deadlifts, pullups, curls, oly movements, etc.

Now, asside from simply making grip another factor in existing exercises, the demand for stabilizing and reacting to moving an object that is difficult to hold onto on your lower arms is very useful. I mean, in a thickbar clean the catch is very different to accomodate the wider bar, and the stress on the wrists differs as well. The same can be said about blockweight oly movments, you have to stabilize that blockweight in your hand. this takes additional thumb, finger and wrist strength all working together to form a vicelike grip. Consider KB presses with the bell up and the handle down (pavel has a name for these I just can't recall it right now). This takes a lot of effort to keep the bell from coming down and crashing into your forearm.

Lastly, pulling an object from the floor with the power to move it overhead or to clean position in one swift movment is more demanding on the grip. You have to suddenly wrench down your grip on it and then keep that grip solid through quite a complex movment. there's a lot to be said for being able to do that, which gives these feats a merit of their own. consider how much more difficult it is to clean the inch DB rather than just deadlift it.

Got it? Did you read that the first time I posted it? are you blind, dumb or just non-specific with your questions?

Urban said:
Got it. This makes sense to me. Pavel calls it a "Bottoms Up Press", by the way.

*Thread hijack* Has anyone tried kettlebells? They seem tempting, and old school.

RickoOodles said:
*Thread hijack* Has anyone tried kettlebells? They seem tempting, and old school.

Im guessing the collective wisdom of this board will say that it is a solid tool for conditioning and some strength, -but- they are to darn expensive.

I agree, there are a lot of other tools you can start out with that will have similar benefits that kettlebells have. Sandbags for instance is a good place to start with, sledgehamers are another.

to be honest I don't have much experience with real KB's, but I have played around with two home made models:
Kettlebell.jpg

Kettlebell1.jpg

of which the second one was WAY cheaper to make, but not very adjustable. they're kinda fun actually, but I can't justify the cost of a real one unless you already have a full home gym and a lots of money to burn.

Can any of you tear a deck of cards? I'm trying to work my way up to doing it. Tearing folded news paper and just strengthening my pinch and wrist strength. Few more weeks of this and I'm going to start trying actual decks of cards.

my best tear was 45 cards. I tore 52 once, but it was an old deck, so it doesn't really count. the tearing prowess of some people trips me out. Brookfield can do three decks and there's somebody over at diesel crew who can do two.

I have the video of the guy on diesel crew tearing 2 decks with the cards still in the box. I think it's actually Smitty that did it. He posts here now, doesn't he?

I'd like to see a video of 3 decks though.

Back