Grip training???

tommboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Do I need to get anything else then grippers??? Or can I do different rep ranges and holds with them and be ok???

get some blockweights. they'll be a better investment for grip strength. Really I'd say that for most people grippers are probably the least important tool you can use.

You know... there's several good threads on grip training already in existence. if you really want to know how to get strong lower arms I suggest you go out and buy mastery of hand strength by John Brookfield.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186742 is one of said threads.

In any event I said what I said about block weights because they train the whole hand (thumb included, which is the weakest point in your grip). They're versatile, you can do cleans, curls, toss them from hand to hand (catching them overhand), snatches, or farmers walks. I think blockweights and levering are probably the best ways to develop your strength for most sports.

What's a blockweight? well you could consult the glossary.

Use your dumbbells as clubbells, kettlebells and indian clubs, just put the plates on one side of the db handle and you have your kettlebells, clubbells, and indian clubs. You can have the plates on the inside or the outside of your wrist. You can also use short straight bars and ez-curl type bar as clubbells and indian clubs as well, just put the plates on one side of the bar. Not to mention, one handed barbell lifts hit the foreams good.

urban, could the 'hub-style pinch gripper' from ironmind be considered as an adjustable block weight.

I just found last night doing Preacher curls really works the forearms nicely. Ans=d also Dumbell shrugs after you have worked bi's just to get an extra pump in the foreams.

Yeah, work that pump, man. :rolleyes:

Thick bar pawns IMO. I never tried block weights but you can do so much stuff with thick dumbells and barbells. And you can make uber cheap ones too.

Cant hurt to use the grippers though. Mike Piazza (baseball player - future hall of famer) is known for having the strongest grip and one of the quickest bat speeds. When he came to the Mets, he took a grip test and his grip was so strong that he broke the machine. He used to just do 1000 contractions with a gripper in one hand and then switch, repeat, etc.

peanut butter said:
urban, could the 'hub-style pinch gripper' from ironmind be considered as an adjustable block weight.
no. not in the least.

Tap112 said:
Cant hurt to use the grippers though. Mike Piazza (baseball player - future hall of famer) is known for having the strongest grip and one of the quickest bat speeds. When he came to the Mets, he took a grip test and his grip was so strong that he broke the machine. He used to just do 1000 contractions with a gripper in one hand and then switch, repeat, etc.
I'd tell him to get a tougher gripper... but then again, it's working for him, so who am I to say stop? But it doesn't seem like you would need that kind of endurance in your forearms to swing a bat maybe 7 times max.

Urban said:
I'd tell him to get a tougher gripper... but then again, it's working for him, so who am I to say stop? But it doesn't seem like you would need that kind of endurance in your forearms to swing a bat maybe 7 times max.
Yeah, and squeezing the gripper 1000 times in each hand sounds like a great way do develop carpal tunel in your wrists and arthritis in your hands. I would also tell him to cut back on the reps for his furture health. Just my opinion though. :eek:

Blockweight:
blockweight.jpg

Hub lift
hub1.jpg

Asside from not being able to do snatches, cleans, presses, or tosses with the hub lift, it's still the wrong shape and size and wrong grip used.

Don't bother buying a hub, just drill a hole through a hockey puck, add one hook, done.

Is that your hand in the first pic Urban?

Back