Grip training (when to to it?)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Itka, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Itka

Itka White Belt

Hello Sherdog!

I'm rather new to serious lifting, bought Starting Strength, read it and did my first work-out last friday and looking forward to my next on monday.
    Anyways, I haven't done the "big three" ever before and when I picked up the bar for my workset of deadlifts I realised that grip strength is going to be an issue for me, perhaps not the next week, but sooner or later it is since my grip is not very strong.

I know that I can use straps, but I'd rather get a stronger grip and save the straps for later. I also know that the deadlifts themselves will increase my strength, and I've read the FAQ so I know what exersises to do to increase my grip strength.

Now to my question:

When should I do my grip strength exercises? Do I do them the same day as my deadlifts(1,5 days a week)? Same day as all my lifting (3 times a week), every day?

Do I do them in directly after my workout or do I do them later the same evening?

Thanks in advance for any advice I can get, and excuse my English, it's not my first language. :)

2. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Buy some chalk it makes so much difference also just pull double over hand for all your sets until you can hold onto it anymore then switched to hook or mixed grip im sure your grip should be fine then.

3. Itka

Itka White Belt

Yeah, there is chalk at my gym, I'll have to ask if that is for everyone or if I should buy my own (I started working out at a powerlifter's gym). I'll try chalk on wednesday when it's time for deadlift again.

4. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Its a powerlifters gym and there is a chalk bowl your be aloud to use it thats why its there for! also how come you dont ask any of the powerlifters about grip strength im sure they have some good advice.

5. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

I do my grip/wrist training in between my sets and it works pretty well. I don't really have any structure to it though. I just leave my grippers and wrist roller around and use them while I'm waiting to do my next set.

Also, this is a more in-depth guide to grip training than in the FAQ if you're interested in reading it:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/you-all-have-pussy-hands-v2-0-a-686378/

6. Itka

Itka White Belt

Thanks for that link

7. Baconator69**

Baconator69** Banned Banned

You lucky bastard, If there was a chalk bowl at my gym I would seriously cover myself in it. I have to keep my shit in a tupperwear container on the down low.