Grip exercises in the gym

Gigaldor

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Whats the best exercises can i do in the gym to increase my grip strength?I have done plate pinching and sometimes barbell holds.Some other ideas?

barbell finger curls

Edit : I'm referring to the ones where you stand up and let the bar hang in an overhand grip, you let it fall as low as it can, so that it's hanging on by your finger tips, then you squeeze it back up into a full grip.

There are different types of grip strength. What's your goal regarding grip strength?

I want to have generally speaking a better grip(wrist strength,pinching,crushing,supporting)

Plate pinches, barbell holds, fat bar grips (I own a pair of Fat Gripz that you can put on any regular bar), thick rope pullups, leverage with a sledgehammer or other implements, get a loading pin and make your own pinch blocks, get some Captains of Crush grippers, etc.

Plate pinches, barbell holds, fat bar grips (I own a pair of Fat Gripz that you can put on any regular bar), thick rope pullups, leverage with a sledgehammer or other implements, get a loading pin and make your own pinch blocks, get some Captains of Crush grippers, etc.

I've thought about getting some, are they good?

i know how to train grip when i have all the equipment,but in the gym where i go we have usual stuff: DBs,BBs,plates.

I've thought about getting some, are they good?

Totally. I can double OH deadlift about 365 or so, and with these, I'm lucky to grab 185. You can use them for all your rowing, benching with DBs, etc. I love them.

i know how to train grip when i have all the equipment,but in the gym where i go we have usual stuff: DBs,BBs,plates.

Buy some stuff for yourself and take it to the gym. I own 3 CoCs, a heavy lever from Ironmind, a plate loading pin, expand your hand bands, and much more. They all fit very easily into my bag.

pull ups, deadlifts help a ton, buy a hand gripper.

Add plate pinches to your routine and do some double overhand deads. Like MASS, I can also hold 350+ for reps, and it enable me to pull 450+ with a hook grip. I have never had to go to a mixed grip so far. I do plate pinches everytime I do squats and deads.

what's wrong with the pinching and heavy barbell holds?

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/lever-shot-smashys-illustrated-guide-levering-813568/

you could try some fingertip and knuckle push ups too sometime.

Finger tip or knuckle pushups will not make any aspect of your grip stronger

@ the TS, if youre asking what grip exersizes can you do with typical gym equipment then

plate pinching
hub pinching
BB sleeve holds/shrugs
one hand DL
heavy DB farmers walks

Finger tip or knuckle pushups will not make any aspect of your grip stronger

@ the TS, if youre asking what grip exersizes can you do with typical gym equipment then

plate pinching
hub pinching
BB sleeve holds/shrugs
one hand DL
heavy DB farmers walks

He was asking about his wrists as well, and knuckle push ups helped me a ton. Fingertip pushups have helped my hands very much as well. I had some lingering issues in my left hand and it hasn't bothered me at all since I began doing them, so I was just throwing it out there. I should have clarified.

Last edited:
He was asking about his wrists as well, and knuckle push ups helped me a ton. Fingertip pushups have helped my hands very much as well. I had some lingering issues in my left hand and it hasn't bothered me at all since I began doing them, so I was just throwing it out there. I should have clarified.

I guess if you had wrist issues pushups on your knuckles would be a good option but I dont see that strengthening the wrists

You could grab oneof those pre loaded 10 or 20lb mini BBs and lever with that for wrist strength

All of these are good ideas.

I got grip4orce from elitefts.com and use them for everything but squating.

I found some interesting exercises to do at the gym:plate curls,plate wrist curls and reverse curls.I gonna give them a try also. :D

This is an excellent post on grip exercises the only other few I can think of is forearm rollups, fingertip pushups (weighted and or one arm), knuckle pushups (weighted and or one arm), Wrist curls.

Just my 2 cents.

Back