grill temp for steaks?

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

I'm grilling sirloin right now at about 450. What temperature range do you guys use for steaks?

For thicker steaks I set up the grill for 2 zone cooking. Blazing hot on one side and relatively cool on the other. I cook the steaks on the cool side until they are a bit under the temp I want them and then finish them on the hot side to get a good sear.

For thinner steaks I just cook them on direct heat, don't really know how hot it is, but I would assume somewhere north of 600.

Get the coals as hot as possible. Blast steaks with intense heat, and flip over and over every 30 or so seconds until the steak is med rare.

<35>

Marinate in ketchup then grill for 15 minutes at 1000°

for just me and the wife, 2 of the 3 burners on high, with the rear sear on...about 450-500. 2-3 minutes each side...still not exactly sure how to use the monster grill..more complicated than the old Webber charcoal..

For thicker steaks I set up the grill for 2 zone cooking. Blazing hot on one side and relatively cool on the other. I cook the steaks on the cool side until they are a bit under the temp I want them and then finish them on the hot side to get a good sear.

For thinner steaks I just cook them on direct heat, don't really know how hot it is, but I would assume somewhere north of 600.

Yeah this one. Unless you're using the cooker in the kitchen in which case you should ask your husband.

Pro Tip

Buy a Sous Vide machine and never worry about over or undercooking your steak again! Otherwise you just gotta develop the touch. Certain firmness for rare, medium rare, well done ect....

I do it just the opposite way. I am no expert, but I have always thought a good sear at the beginning was important, so high heat, get a good sear on both sides, then lower heat for a short time for further cooking for thicker steaks. Temperature? As hot as it will get, basically, but I have a cheap grill.

500 F - 2 - 3 mins a side

or buy a good thermometer and figure out what range you like your meat done.

I do the 2znes but start on the hot side to sear the steak, then move to the cool side if anyone wants the steak cooked morre than rare.

I was at the cottage last week and cooked a steak over an camp fire!! I worked out really really well.

Pro Tip

Buy a Sous Vide machine and never worry about over or undercooking your steak again! Otherwise you just gotta develop the touch. Certain firmness for rare, medium rare, well done ect....

I just ordered a sous vide wand. I can't wait to make the best steaks on earth. Sous Vide cooked with a cast iron sear sounds like the best way to cook steak.

As hot as I can get my cast iron. Depending on the thickness, I sear it for 1:30 to 3 minutes a side. Then drop the heat as low as I can go and baste in butter and thyme about a minute a side until I get the temp to around 135. Pull it and rest it for ~10 minutes and let it rise to 145. Then eat. Best steaks you'll ever have if you do it right.

Uh, you're supposed to sear meat first.

Back