Gregor Vs Carlos Was A Very High Level Fight, Shows Off Depth At LW

Both showed that you don't need to just punch each other in the face to make the fight entertaining...that was one of the best scrap i've seen...
Man, that was beautiful. Gregor was CLEARLY on his way out (from face punches ironically, lol) and then BAM, he crushes it in round 2 and gets the finish. Awesome scrap.

I wasn’t watching the event live, but caught it on my espn + app yesterday. What a high level fight. Crazy to think neither of these guys were even in the top 10. It really shows how deep the division is as a whole. They were all over the place. Crazy high pace. Both guys in danger in a few different situations. The striking and submission games between positions were fluid, fast and fun.

Crazy that these two guys have a combined record of 15-5 in the UFC. It’s nuts, I feel like if you had told me this was a championship fight I wouldn’t have called you a liar.
Probably the best BJJ VS wrestling fight I've seen in a long time -- Gregor's folkstyle wrestling is fantastic -- back in college, he was a monster at riding his opponents. Now in MMA, he seems to have improved his takedown ability as well.

I'm really hoping Gregor buckles down and gets active at LW. He realizes he's getting up there in years and that is never a good thing in the skilled divisions so I expect if he's injury free he'll be fighting twice more this year. A fight with Islam would be great, as would Hooker, Dariush, and/or RDA. A lot of options for him at 155, to be sure.

I hope we see Gregor soon again and he doesn't sit out and just fish for a year after the estimated $200K+ he made on Saturday (with that $100K bonus)

Im seeing that also. For the first 2mins of R1 he was moving and bouncing and striking like a fast FW. After he took a couple he really, really slowed down. I was shocked.
He probably took 4-5 flush punches on the chin in that first round. A top tier striker would put him out with that.
Maybe , hopefully, it was an fluke. Because I love watching Gregor fight and hope to see more of it against better opponents
Normally when he gets the takedown, he stays on top. Ferreira's ground game is just so good that he was able to turn it around everytime until he gassed. This was a great match up!

Honestly I think LW is gonna be a bloodbath for awhile. I think we’ll see the belt change lots of hands. There’s no one guy I picture clearing the division. I think the “easy” pick would be someone like Dustin or Justin. There’s also the “what if” factor of khabib coming back. If someone starts putting together a streak of 2+ defenses and Khabib never beat them...does he come back? Who knows.

I think chandler will struggle in the long run but his explosiveness and athleticism are great.
I like Chandler but he can be beat by most of the top 10 in my opinion. HIs fight against Hooker made him look way better than he is. All Hooker did was run backwards.

Normally when he gets the takedown, he stays on top. Ferreira's ground game is just so good that he was able to turn it around everytime until he gassed. This was a great match up!
I think Ferreira beats him with a full camp. Carlos took the fight on short notice (a few weeks) so was not able to work his cardio and he came into the fight overweight by 5lbs.

I like Chandler but he can be beat by most of the top 10 in my opinion. HIs fight against Hooker made him look way better than he is. All Hooker did was run backwards.
It’s tough to say right? You see a guy come in against someone who took Dustin Poirer to 5 rounds in an absolute war...right, and he gets knocked out in the first 2 minutes and looked absurdly uncomfortable.

I saw so little that it’s difficult for me to say if it Chandler forcing Hooker to be uncomfortable, or if hooker had a very “off” night.

I don’t see that working on guys like Justin, Dustin, etc..Even if you land, good luck getting a flash ko against those monsters. But there’s also that part of me that can’t forget how competitive hooker was with Poirer and I can’t help but wonder if chandler IS THAT GOOD. I mean, I don’t want to over react or read too much into 1 fight. But if he can do that to these top LW’s then the whole games changed. I think we’ll learn a lot about chandler in the Oliviera fight.

We don't really know what's going on with CDF though, guy is struggling in and outside the cage...he's got a ton of potential but somehow he lacks support outside the cage, if you have to travel 8hrs to train, that ain't good.
This. I mean doing that once in awhile to train at a specific place that isn't local to where you live is one thing, but to have that be your main training location and spending 9 hours of driving each day multiple times a week is not very productive. He should move closer or at least stay at a location closer to the gym for a few days while he trains there. He probably would spend the same amount of money on gas anyway. At least he's not wasting 9 hours everyday just driving. If he was getting paid to drive that's one thing, but if he isn't, it isn't really the best way to use your time.

It’s tough to say right? You see a guy come in against someone who took Dustin Poirer to 5 rounds in an absolute war...right, and he gets knocked out in the first 2 minutes and looked absurdly uncomfortable.

I saw so little that it’s difficult for me to say if it Chandler forcing Hooker to be uncomfortable, or if hooker had a very “off” night.

I don’t see that working on guys like Justin, Dustin, etc..Even if you land, good luck getting a flash ko against those monsters. But there’s also that part of me that can’t forget how competitive hooker was with Poirer and I can’t help but wonder if chandler IS THAT GOOD. I mean, I don’t want to over react or read too much into 1 fight. But if he can do that to these top LW’s then the whole games changed. I think we’ll learn a lot about chandler in the Oliviera fight.
I'm not judging Chandler by just that one fight. I have watched his other fights with Ben Henderson (2x) and Patricio and Will Brooks. Against Will he lost twice but that was a good few years ago. Don't get me wrong Chandler is the real deal, def top 5. But how would he do agains the other killers in top 5 or 10?

I'm not judging Chandler by just that one fight. I have watched his other fights with Ben Henderson (2x) and Patricio and Will Brooks. Against Will he lost twice but that was a good few years ago. Don't get me wrong Chandler is the real deal, def top 5. But how would he do agains the other killers in top 5 or 10?
I have no idea that’s the issue. There’s a world where you can chalk up will brooks as a growth opportunity. There’s also a world where you could argue Patricio is the best 155er on the planet now that Khabibs gone. That’s the thing that makes this so interesting for me. I don’t think it’ll happen, but what if it does? What it chandler is too fast and strong for oliviera and ko’s him in round 1?

I think he’ll struggle, and guys like Justin will put him away. But I just don’t know.

I have no idea that’s the issue. There’s a world where you can chalk up will brooks as a growth opportunity. There’s also a world where you could argue Patricio is the best 155er on the planet now that Khabibs gone. That’s the thing that makes this so interesting for me. I don’t think it’ll happen, but what if it does? What it chandler is too fast and strong for oliviera and ko’s him in round 1?

I think he’ll struggle, and guys like Justin will put him away. But I just don’t know.
I think he's an exciting fighter and excellent cardio (going by his fights with Benson Henderson). He was unlucky got caught by Patricio in under a minute. If he beats Oliviera (probably the most improved fighter in the whole of MMA) then he's definitely up there.

I think he's an exciting fighter and excellent cardio (going by his fights with Benson Henderson). He was unlucky got caught by Patricio in under a minute. If he beats Oliviera (probably the most improved fighter in the whole of MMA) then he's definitely up there.
Yeah...what I’d like to see is how he handles the grappling and the range on the feet if he can’t just ko the guy. Charles has such a crazy ability to grab subs out of nowhere. Hard to imagine chandler wanting to risk takedowns but if he does well learn a lot

Back