Gregor Gillespie TKO Diego Ferreira GIFS

Gregor is a warrior. Some guys would not have taken that fight with his opponent missing weight by so much. Heck my eyeball tells me that Gregor isn't even big enough to be LW. I think he should consider FW. His fight with Kevin Lee made him look like he was a BW. Granted Kevin Lee is one of the biggest LW.
Keep Gregor at 155. Outside of the Lee KO he's taken very little damage for a fighter and he's not killing his kidney either. He seems like one of the few guys who will be relatively normal health wise when his career is over. And I realize it's only 10 pounds, but I believe Gregor has always been used to being the smaller guy for his weight class. Whether it's in MMA or his wrestling career

I'm really curious of the long term effects of cutting weight to the severity that a lot of these guys go through. I mean didn't Darren Till lose eyesight for a while at 170 because he was cutting so much? Shit is insane to me. Taking head trauma and wear and tear should already be enough lol

I think its notable though, something has got to change.

To be nearly 5lbs over weight in the 155lbs division is a joke. Honestly it shouldn't even be sanctioned. The system currently favors weight cheaters. It is a HUGE advantage and would have been a disgrace if Gregor lost tonight.

Purse forfeiture to your opponent needs to be a sliding scale and this will solve the problem overnight:

30% purse - 1lbs
40% purse - 2lbs
50% purse - 3lbs

If its >4lbs, there should not be a fight. If you win while fighting overweight, you should be excluded by contract from your next fight being a title shot.

I respect Gregor for taking it, he's been on the shelf so long he probably felt he had no choice, but things need to change.
I like the idea of a sliding scale where the more a fighter misses weight by, the more they are punished.

That might help put pressure on the fighter that misses weight to be the one that makes the decision to withdraw from the fight. Currently the pressure is on the fighter that actually makes weight to make the decision on whether or not to accept the fight.

And fighters that miss weight and go on to win, shouldn’t be able to move up the rankings in a division they didn’t make weight in, and should be forced to accept a fight with someone ranked lower than them in their next fight. To further slow their climb up the rankings.

Gregor is such a treat to watch. It sucks that he is more invested in fishing than climbing the rankings.
He has always been a strange cat. Is half the reason the Diakomihalis brothers are the animals they are. But he is well known for stating that a girlfriend just doesn’t make sense for him in his life. Which is to distract from fishing and MMA. In that order. A great dude though. Wish he fought more often. Always a treat for the fans to see his matches. Rumor had it in the wrestling community that if he beat Lee he was going to call out Khabib as his first call out ever. Whoops

This. Completely agree.
Even if a fighter knows they'll miss weight they'll still come in just to get the show/win money even with the 30% cut.

I would drop a like but, I ran out.
I remember a few years ago when missing weight started becoming common. There was a stat that went something like this: 7/8 fighters that missed weight, ended up winning that fight and rising in the rankings. If you couldn’t fight if you missed, you’d see way less overages, a la college/international wrestling

Gregor is such a treat to watch. It sucks that he is more invested in fishing than climbing the rankings.
He did a 16 week camp for this fight.

it is important to have balance in life. Especially for someone who is so extremely dedicated and obsessive over his career.

Im sure he is a better fighter because he allows himself to unwind from time to time.

Reactions: kuf
Fishing is the best basis for MMA. Gregor is used to pulling some heavy ass fish so he probably didn't care that CDF missed weight.

Great win for Gillespie especially since it seems he was close to giving up after round 1.

Gregor has shown how limited he is, he is the fight they should have made for Tony’s comeback, Gregor just doesn’t have the stand up to trouble any of the top 155ers.

He did a 16 week camp for this fight.

it is important to have balance in life. Especially for someone who is so extremely dedicated and obsessive over his career.

Im sure he is a better fighter because he allows himself to unwind from time to time.

I'm sure you are correct and he has his method figured out. To phrase it better, it sucks for me as a viewer that he doesn't fight more often :D

I'm sure you are correct and he has his method figured out. To phrase it better, it sucks for me as a viewer that he doesn't fight more often :D
All good amigo.

I would also like to see him fight more, get opportunities to climb the ranks and test his skills. He is a likable relatable and transparent, honest dude with exceptional work ethic.

Great win by Gregor but I thought he didn't look like his dominant self on the ground. He's usually a beast on top, and once he gets his hooks in, he's not coming off. This time not so much.
Uhh yeah... because CDF is elite on the ground. And Gillespie still managed to wear him down. The fact that Gillespie beat CDF like this is 10x more impressive than all of the lesser fighters Gillespie has completely walked through.

I just feel bad for Gregor cause lake fish just don't taste as good as ocean fish. And one day Conor is going to have a guy on his yacht who knows what he is doing and he is going to get to pull up huge Tuna and shit.

Nothing like a grappling war

How can you not like Gregor?

In some ways, Gregor’s performance was one of the most impressive I’ve seen in a long time.

The persistent tenacity in the TD attempts was kind of shocking. The fact that it ended up working the way it did was so satisfying to watch.

UnawareSentimentalAvocet-size_restricted.gif
BleakSkeletalFennecfox-size_restricted.gif
ThornyDelightfulAfricanjacana-size_restricted.gif
He is such an animal -- this is a fight where you'd hear people call them wimps if they stayed standing instead of taking it to the ground haha Great performance and a solid effort by Ferreira as well

Back