Greg Jackson: Success Breeds Criticism

He's right and no one can deny that his camp is highly successful. But, he can't deny that he is turning this sport more into a boxing type theme where points are more important than finishes.

What a convenient set of mental gymnastics to deflect criticism. It's not his success that fans criticize; it's the overly conservative approach that makes fights boring and predictable.

Imagine if you were the coach of a football team that had a good offense and an amazing defense that virtually no one could score upon. Your game plan was to have your offense move down the field and kick one field goal. Then on each subsequent possession take a knee 3-times, punt, and then let the defense handle the rest.

People would criticize you for taking the fun out of the sport, not for your success.

He isn't saying people are hating on his success. I think it's just when you become successful people are bound to hate you no matter what. It's just more common to hate on big things. No one is gonna hate a team who isn't popular and not well known at all.

Personally I think there have been a lot more positives than negatives from Jackson's MMA. And I think the negativity weighs more than the positive aspects. People don't even think about the guys like Ceronne KO Melvin. Or even when Melvin used to be at that camp with plenty of KOs against guys like Shane Roller. Then you got Sanchez, a beast of warrior who probably would have bested Ellenberger had it been 5 rounds. You got Nate Marquardt KOing Tyrone Woodley, John Dodson knocking out guys, Shane Carwin (he's been inactive for a while), Carlos Condit, Jon Jones and much more.

I don't agree with 'fighters fight the same from this specific camp' idea. It's just wrong.

GregJacksonUFC94WO_2455.jpeg

Read the whole article here:
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/trainer-greg-jackson-success-breeds-criticism

Thoughts?

Do you know who was successful? Wanderlei Silva and Chute Boxe, yet they're both loved by nearly all MMA fans. Why? Because they actually gave a shit about the fans.

''DO NOT ATTACK. Wait 30 seconds, then take him down. DO NOT PASS THE GUARD.''

Exactly because nobody in MMA has ever done damage from the guard. How many guys have we've seen get some serious GNP'd put on them from the guard? I can't think of one.

''DO NOT ATTACK. Wait 30 seconds, then take him down. DO NOT PASS THE GUARD.''

If I had one wish for this site, it would be that when people post this stupid quote, they post the entire quote and not just the part that fulfills their little fantasy of what they think Jackson was saying.

He was telling GSP not to pass guard so that he could posture up and soften Hardy up with ground and pound. If the people who posted this quote actually watched the fight, then they'd know this.

If I had one wish for this site, it would be that when people post this stupid quote, they post the entire quote and not just the part that fulfills their little fantasy of what they think Jackson was saying.

He was telling GSP not to pass guard so that he could posture up and soften Hardy up with ground and pound. If the people who posted this quote actually watched the fight, then they'd know this.

No, he was stalling. Get Jacksons dick out of your mouth

Gameplanning is the bane of the "just bleed" fans existence, because the best way to beat the brawlers that "just bleeds" love is to be smarter than them. Being smart = cheating in a fight, because out-thinking your opponent isn't what "fighting" is about. Fighting is about which talentless drunk can take more clean blows to the head.

I'm personally glad that the UFC is more about competition than "fighting."

greg jackson comes off like hes playing the role of a total creepy guy, and hes clearly manipulative, not sure how he uses that skill, but he def seems to have pscyhology down

with that said, hes def the focal point of a lot of resentment and hate, ithink a lot of it due to his success, which comes from fighting smart - haters will hate, and greg jackson will never be popular

meh, you're fighting an upward battle - ive learned on internet websites that people will confidently be wrong or short sighted, and the volumes of people who act that way is overwhelming - just let them be

Jackson pretty much nailed it.

there are always going to be people who don't like the fighters at his camp and/or don't like him.

that's just sports. the whole point is to cheer for and against

You said it Ed

Gameplanning is the bane of the "just bleed" fans existence, because the best way to beat the brawlers that "just bleeds" love is to be smarter than them. Being smart = cheating in a fight, because out-thinking your opponent isn't what "fighting" is about. Fighting is about which talentless drunk can take more clean blows to the head.

I'm personally glad that the UFC is more about competition than "fighting."

Well said.

I feel your pain.

That's one of those claims I was saying is demonstrably false.

On the plus side, the quote is a measure for IQ. Anyone posting it as evidence Jackson teaches stalling is clearly somewhere between vegetable and mineral, especially considering how many times it's been explained.

Looking at Jackson's roster, I still want to know what all the criticism is based off of. Most of his fighters have been proven finishers or aggressive, fan-friedly fighters: Jones, Swanson, Condit, Cerrone, Dodson, Garcia, Brandao, Khabilov, Kennedy, Stann, Noke, Browne, Perez, Arlovski, Donovan, Page, and Amagov.

this is just dumb.

there are TONS of highly successful fighters who don't get bashed. cain velasquez, anderson silva, jose aldo, nick diaz, etc. so it clearly has nothing to do with his success.

the reason why gsp gets hated on, is because of the way he fights. he wasn't being criticized for his fighting before the first serra fight. the criticism only started after he made the conscious decision to fight in a safer manner.

Jackson is such a joke.

Does he honestly believe that people criticize him for his 'success.' A blind man could see better than Jackson.

exactly.

i am amazed at the amount of people who are buying his crap.

If you hate on this guy and think he's bad for MMA, you are a moron. There's no argument and there's no two ways about it.

What he said is 100% true and this thread is proof

Back