Greg Jackson: Success Breeds Criticism

does my grammer matter when talking about MMA on these forums...really, ...really?

i dont care who you hate or why you hate on them, thats your prerogative.

but in reality, jackson corners 2 of the top 3 p4p fighters in the world.

sounds pretty successful to me

and you'RE right i am dumb for explaining myself to you

No, you're dumb for not reading my posts that clearly state how much I love Jackson's camp. Read then respond, etc.

tbh , you'RE right

i wasnt originally talking to you

and i apoligise about directing the dumb towards you

however , dont give a shit about my grammer.

this is the internet , not class

does my grammer matter when talking about MMA on these forums...really, ...really?

i dont care who you hate or why you hate on them, thats your prerogative.

Grammar doesnt bother me, but if youre going to call someone a retard, you may want to try not to look like one yourself.

And for the record, I have no problem with Jackson instructing his fighters to fight smart. I dont like point fighting and using the clock to win, but its effective and Ill never argue with the results.

Hehe thanks, it's great when people recognise that he is definitely a finisher.

Could you imagine the hate he would get if he didnt finish in the position. He'd hate to see that coming. :icon_lol:

Oh, the irony...

It's not ironic at all. You're a fanboy who thinks he knows more about this sport than the men who make a living doing it. You've created the rulebook they need to play by. Think about it. You are the perfect example of Jackson is talking about.

tbh , you'RE right

i wasnt originally talking to you

and i apoligise about directing the dumb towards you

however , dont give a shit about my grammer.

this is the internet , not class

Its cool. I was just giving advice. Im not trying to be a grammar nazi.

No it's not? It's not even nearly the case in MMA. How long have you been watching the sport?

Historically the most dominant / best fighters are loved the most. JDS? Fedor? Silva? GSP? Iceman? Saku? Gracie? Etc, etc, etc. What about Ali, Tyson? Sugar Ray? These people are revered for the most part, and the only time they got real social backlash is when they did something that was ridiculous. Their performances never warranted hate, it was their actions outside of their performances.

Matt Hughes got some flak, and guess what? It was for his attitude and personality. It wasn't for his absolute domination of the WW division. To make some blanket statement that it's just "dominant champions who warrant hate" is not only statistically inaccurate, it's just plain ignorant and biased.

You guys have blinders on, huuuuuge blinders.

America absolutely LOATHED Ali, it wasnt until close to his retirement people started to embrace him.

You're given a diamond.

You study the diamond.

You decide the diamond is a piece of coal.

You throw the diamond in the fire.

You say: "Look, everyone! I've created fire!"

You say: "Coal! Go get some fans!"

Get over it Nancy. It's a prize fight. This isn't Karate Kid. These are men fist fighting for money and endorsements.

You overheard a candid moment when a coach was helping his young fighter learn to act more professional. He was doing his job. Yet his dry sense of humor and delivery ruffled your panties something fierce. It wasn't meant for you.

Jackson was spot-on. Success breeds criticism. Although I would add irrational criticism.

LMAO!!!

Absolutely.
Jackson was absolutely correct. For some reason, maybe the immaturity of the sport, there is a lot of hatred for dominance.

Last edited:
Grammar doesnt bother me, but if youre going to call someone a retard, you may want to try not to look like one yourself.

And for the record, I have no problem with Jackson instructing his fighters to fight smart. I dont like point fighting and using the clock to win, but its effective and Ill never argue with the results.

Could you imagine the hate he would get if he didnt finish in the position. He'd hate to see that coming. :icon_lol:

Yea the Sherdog trolls would be all over it but he had a good gameplan was able to maintain good pressure and his pace allowed him to get the finish. :p

It's not ironic at all. You're a fanboy who thinks he knows more about this sport than the men who make a living doing it. You've created the rulebook they need to play by. Think about it. You are the perfect example of Jackson is talking about.

Yet again, you are making unfounded criticisms. You dont know me, so stop making assumptions of what goes through my mind. I train, my friends train, and I corner them in fights. Im pretty experienced when it comes to how fighters prepare themselves mentally, physically, and spiritually for an upcoming fight. I also respect the sacrifices and work their opponents put in. You may not respect the morals and discipline in martial arts - which is fine - but I do. I hold nothing against Jones, but I would like to see an influential figure like a coach instruct the ways of bushido to young and impressionable fighters.

And read my previous post to Spliff. Im not who Jackson is talking about.

Yet again, you are making unfounded criticisms. You dont know me, so stop making assumptions of what goes through my mind. I train, my friends train, and I corner them in fights. Im pretty experienced when it comes to how fighters prepare themselves mentally, physically, and spiritually for an upcoming fight. I also respect the sacrifices and work their opponents put in. You may not respect the morals and discipline in martial arts - which is fine - but I do. I hold nothing against Jones, but I would like to see an influential figure like a coach instruct the ways of bushido to young and impressionable fighters.

And read my previous post to Spliff. Im not who Jackson is talking about.

sooooo you are a jackson fan then

everything you describe yourself as being to your fighters and martial arts is kinda how jackson carries himself and his fighters.

sooooo you are a jackson fan then

everything you describe yourself as being to your fighters and martial arts is kinda how jackson carries himself and his fighters.

Im not a fan of him personally after the "Go get some fans" comment for reasons Ive stated above, but Im not gonna hate on the man for creating and executing efficient gameplans. Greg Jackson using the clock and scoring system to his advantage is no different than an NFL team kneeling to run down the clock to win the game.

People can complain and hate on the man all they want, but his fighters win and thats all that matters in prize fighting.

two thumbs up for your answer.

well said.

Not as many "fans" around to criticize when those camps that you mentioned were on "top".

Like he stated, none of us are in his shoes, and none of us stand to lose what he or his fighters stand to lose if they make decisions that aren't practical for them.

Everyone that isn't in the MMA business that complains about Jackson and his "style" (which is a misnomer because he trains multiple fighters with different styles) is just a spoiled brat "fan" that has ridiculous expectations.

Resorting to name calling huh?:redface:

You are not making an original statement anyway, I understand what he has to lose, that isn't the point, but having expectations beyond extremely conservative strategies, and fight selections, is not bring spoiled, it is about having high expectations based on past experiences. And, Jackson is enjoying his current financial success because of the attitudes and the excitement of the fighting styles of the guys who build up the sport before he came to prominence. And it isn't just fans thst have criticized him Dana has been quite clear about his opinion of Greg.

Im not a fan of him personally after the "Go get some fans" comment for reasons Ive stated above, but Im not gonna hate on the man for creating and executing efficient gameplans. Greg Jackson using the clock and scoring system to his advantage is no different than an NFL team kneeling to run down the clock to win the game.

People can complain and hate on the man all they want, but his fighters win and thats all that matters in prize fighting.

There has been a decline in the popularity of MMA over the past few years within the US. There are obviously many reasons for that, but extremely conservative game planning by Jackson fighters in big fights, heralded by UFC Primetimes (GSP vs. Hardy, Rashad vs. Rampage, Condit vs. Diaz, GSP vs. Shields, Jones vs. Rashad) certainly didn't help things. If people routinely feel frustrated and bored as early as the second round in the biggest hyped up fights, then that is a problem for a sport that is competing for the Saturday night entertainment dollar of 18-34 year old men. Winning is important in all sports, but people don't give a sh@t about most sports, and MMA isn't a grandfathered in cultural institution like the NFL is.

Resorting to name calling huh?:redface:

If the waaambulance fits ...

You are not making an original statement anyway, I understand what he has to lose, that isn't the point, but having expectations beyond extremely conservative strategies, and fight selections, is not bring spoiled, it is about having high expectations based on past experiences.

Right and criticizing Jackson for his "style" is original...

"Fight selections"?

And, Jackson is enjoying his current financial success because of the attitudes and the excitement of the fighting styles of the guys who build up the sport before he came to prominence. And it isn't just fans thst have criticized him Dana has been quite clear about his opinion of Greg.

Oh STFU with that bullshit. Dana White throws a tantrum every time something doesn't go his (the UFC's business) way. Doesn't mean Greg Jackson is to blame for every thing.

There's a stigma attached to Greg now and "fans" will whine and never have a positive thing to say about him when there is something positive to say.

Back