Greg Jackson: Success Breeds Criticism

What a convenient set of mental gymnastics to deflect criticism. It's not his success that fans criticize; it's the overly conservative approach that makes fights boring and predictable.

Imagine if you were the coach of a football team that had a good offense and an amazing defense that virtually no one could score upon. Your game plan was to have your offense move down the field and kick one field goal. Then on each subsequent possession take a knee 3-times, punt, and then let the defense handle the rest.

People would criticize you for taking the fun out of the sport, not for your success.

I agree with your first statement to a certain extent, but your example is different. If a football coach could successfully stop the other team and score at will, especially with a running offense and short passing attack, they would. And it would be called boring.

Jackson is such a joke.

Does he honestly believe that people criticize him for his 'success.' A blind man could see better than Jackson.

"If the crowd starts booing, that's a good thing; we have the right gameplan".
-Mike Winklejohn.

I agree with your first statement to a certain extent, but your example is different. If a football coach could successfully stop the other team and score at will, especially with a running offense and short passing attack, they would. And it would be called boring.

I guess what I was trying to illustrate was to score your points early, put yourself in a position where the opponent can't possibly score, and just ride the rest out conservatively. I know the two sports are apples and oranges. It's like if you played a team that was made completely of Dwight Howard clones and you fouled them on every possession.

:icon_chee

I guess what I was trying to illustrate was to score your points early, put yourself in a position where the opponent can't possibly score, and just ride the rest out conservatively. I know the two sports are apples and oranges. It's like if you played a team that was made completely of Dwight Howard clones and you fouled them on every possession.

:icon_chee

Yeah I got you, just didn't get your example.

Jackson is such a joke.

Does he honestly believe that people criticize him for his 'success.' A blind man could see better than Jackson.

Seriously? Jones is champ...Cerrone is a contender, Cub Swanson is on fire....Condit is close, sounds like a joke to me....but it's not Jackson....

if all trainers gameplanned like jackson:

point fighting and play-it-safe

there would NO MMA

nuff said

Why are you still allowed to post? Jones finishes, Cerrone finishes, Condit normally finishes, Garcia is a nut (didn't say he is good) Swanson finishes....stop with the useless know it all BS

The fact that people got so butthurt over this totally reinforces what Jackson is saying.

Its a coach instructing his student to check on the condition of his defeated opponent for the sake gaining popularity. It has no place in martial arts, and its terrible if this is the type of shit he teaches his fighters.

Is there no honor anymore?

In the words of an NFL coach to the media- "You don't even know what you don't know, and you never will"

haters gonna hate.

the most successful camp is also the most hated.

pretty standard everywhere in every sport

I will just hear what I want which is "I realize I have been sucking the fun out of the sport for many years now, and I am sorry. My resolution for 2013 is to give back to the fans that I have taken so, so much from."

I can understand some of the critics out there but some of this seems like genuine hate. The guy has a stable of champions. Your saying GSP fights look like he fights to just score points? Not too long ago, Dana almost cut Anderson Silva for basically playing around with Maia. It's White's job to challenge these guys. You never saw Dos Santos playing around with his opponents. Everyone he fought was a challenge. In Sonnen they found someone that would take the fight FINALLY to Silva. Same thing with Condit. People talk about Diaz vs Condit as Condit running away. They game planned how Diaz would fight and instead of Diaz adjusting and taking it to Condit he just complained. Sonnen trapped Anderson into fighting and Condit made GSP engage him straight up.

Good fighters can get matches against champions. Great fighters psychologically adapt and form to their opponents strenghts and weaknesses. I'm a Pats fan. During a season where they almost went undfeated, they were scoring on teams like 50 pts to nothing. It was a sport caster who said basically that "If you don't like them scoring and think it's messed up, do something about it, that's why you have a defense." Same thing in mma. If you don't like the way Jackson's fighters fight them start beating them. I gurantee it will change if they start to lose. Otherwise, don't watch it because his guys kick ass.

Get over it Nancy. It's a prize fight. This isn't Karate Kid. These are men fist fighting for money and endorsements.

You overheard a candid moment when a coach was helping his young fighter learn to act more professional. He was doing his job. Yet his dry sense of humor and delivery ruffled your panties something fierce. It wasn't meant for you.

Jackson was spot-on. Success breeds criticism. Although I would add irrational criticism.

Just bleed, right?

Its amazing how many fans lack integrity, and its one of the reasons this sport doesnt get the respect it deserves.

haters gonna hate.

the most successful camp is also the most hated.

pretty standard everywhere in every sport

Chute Box and Team Quest and MFS and Hammerhouse were not hated by fans when they were on top. Jackson's team is disliked by a lot of fans for his interpretation of Mma, which although wins under the current rules and scoring system, lacks in entertainment value. Add to that him admonishing Jones not to fight Sonnen at lhw on short notice, and he ventured into the ridiculous.

Back