Greg Jackson: Success Breeds Criticism

youngsteinel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
GregJacksonUFC94WO_2455.jpeg

"I think it's been popular (to bash Jackson-Winkeljohn) for the past five years, and I think that comes with success," he said. "I think if you have a lot of success, there are going to be people that don't like what you do.

"People don't have to agree with my decisions either, but they are not in my position. They don't have to deal with things I deal with. They can disagree with what I say, but I believe in our team."

Read the whole article here:
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/trainer-greg-jackson-success-breeds-criticism

Thoughts?

''DO NOT ATTACK. Wait 30 seconds, then take him down. DO NOT PASS THE GUARD.''

success is part of it....but the criticism was bred on more than that

"Go check on Lyoto. Get some fans."

Bad / cocky attitudes breed more criticism then success.

Many people who have far, far more success then anything Jones or anyone from Jacksons camp are loved universally because they are just "good people".

Jackson's damage control is stupid.

Many people who have far, far more success then anything Jones or anyone from Jacksons camp are loved universally because they are just "good people".

I think it is more there fighting style than attitudes.

Sounds like you have a personal problem with people you don't even know. I'd say you're worse off then they.

at the end of the day for the Guidas of his camp (and i like clay but lets just say he "embraces the grind") there are guys like condit, cub, cowboy who bring it like crazy in almost every appearance. Jackson has been associated with caution and fighting not to lose but at the end of the day his camp is full of a bunch of talented guys and not everyone fights in a way that matches that template.

guys who are naturally aggressive like cowboy and cub would not stick around with greg if he were just a wall and stall/stick and move guy.

meh, I think it has more to do with jones than anything.
Part of what he says is true though

at the end of the day for the Guidas of his camp (and i like clay but lets just say he "embraces the grind") there are guys like condit, cub, cowboy who bring it like crazy in almost every appearance. Jackson has been associated with caution and fighting not to lose but at the end of the day his camp is full of a bunch of talented guys and not everyone fights in a way that matches that template.

guys who are naturally aggressive like cowboy and cub would not stick around with greg if he were just a wall and stall/stick and move guy.

I think the criticism comes from fighters generally fighting with a game plan, which isn't always the most exciting for the fans. Even Condit's circling away and picking his strikes against Diaz irked a lot of people, despite Condit having so many finishes.

Majority of haters of Jackson and Jones funnily enough appeared after Dana cried Wolf at 151. Not saying you just nod and take on Danas opinion. Oh yes I am.

What a convenient set of mental gymnastics to deflect criticism. It's not his success that fans criticize; it's the overly conservative approach that makes fights boring and predictable.

Imagine if you were the coach of a football team that had a good offense and an amazing defense that virtually no one could score upon. Your game plan was to have your offense move down the field and kick one field goal. Then on each subsequent possession take a knee 3-times, punt, and then let the defense handle the rest.

People would criticize you for taking the fun out of the sport, not for your success.

Jackson pretty much nailed it.

there are always going to be people who don't like the fighters at his camp and/or don't like him.

that's just sports. the whole point is to cheer for and against

I think the criticism comes from fighters generally fighting with a game plan, which isn't always the most exciting for the fans. Even Condit's circling away and picking his strikes against Diaz irked a lot of people, despite Condit having so many finishes.

Not necessarily just having a game plan. But a point scoring, conservative game plan is what most fans hate.

Majority of haters of Jackson and Jones funnily enough appeared after Dana cried Wolf at 151. Not saying you just nod and take on Danas opinion. Oh yes I am.

Really? From what I remember, it started around when GSP couldn't/wouldn't finish Hardy.

Back