Greg Jackson and his "own" Jiu Jitsu?

The fact that Diego Sanchez put on a white belt when he started training with Saulo Ribeiro tells the whole story.

Kano started his own style, taking techniques from various existing schools. So did the Gracies. Sambo was started the same way. Nothing wrong with anyone else giving it a try, we'll know in awhile if it can stand the test of time.

The fact that Diego Sanchez put on a white belt when he started training with Saulo Ribeiro tells the whole story.

Yeah it tells us that he has a world of respect for Saulo... which everyone should.

wtf does that imply? Diego was primarly a ground fighter all his MMA career, beat Nick Diaz(brown belt at the time) and Karo

Did Diego look like a whitebelt when he rolled with Marcelo Garcia?

Diego finished his 10 first fights ffs, with Gaidojutsu and HS wrestling, he had legit skills

Where did he learn jiu jitsu. though? He must have gotten it from a BJJ guy somewhere.

must have? like there are no other guys with great ground games who has been traiend by non BJJers?

It means that a greg jackson black belt is a saulo ribeiro purple belt (after a while), not that hard to figure out guys.

It means that a greg jackson black belt is a saulo ribeiro purple belt (after a while), not that hard to figure out guys.

Diego got his brown back in june, basically after around 2 years with saulo.

Diego got his brown back in june, basically after around 2 years with saulo.

Holy fuck.

I think that the gaidojutsu could work, but like it's been said until we see a guy who was trained only in that system and not coming in with other training (GSP, Nate, Evans) we're not going to truly be able to judge how effective it is.

If it's basically sub wrestling then hey, power to him. If he has a few students who go there to learn it and they develop some skills I support it, but until we see a homegrown GJ guy using nothing but his system run through people, it can't really be called a monstrously effective style to stand on, but no doubt that it can supplement people's game.

From what I have seen he teaches MMA style grappling only.

I dont know how well it works (on its own) in a non MMA type event but his guys seem to do very very well.

Seriously, many guys have a background and crosstrain but it doesnt mean they are all going to have the success Jacksons guys enjoy.

We keep talking about Diego, he wasa good HS wrestler but how many HS wrestlers take BJJ now and have not been as good in MMA?

I understand that he has now gotten officially ranked in BJJ but even before that he was no slouch.

Where did he learn jiu jitsu. though? He must have gotten it from a BJJ guy somewhere.

Originally, Gaidojutsu is judo locks with wrestling. He made it more complete by adding kickboxing, bjj etc later on after seeing ufc.

guys like GSP are going to jackson because he is one of the best coaches to come up wiht gameplans. Untill the rashad/machida fight at least.

I could list a number of martial arts ive trained in, all of which hold up to the karate police when put under the microscope. However Ive got no belts nor would I claim to be any kind of expert in anything but my own experiences in fighting. Ive pretty much dreamed of fighting professionally, teaching professionally from a very young age. Its something Id like to pursue, but may or may not ever get around to it.

More power to Greg Jackson for doing what Ive always wanted to do. However, I still havent forgotten about his sherade after grease gate which left me less than impressed with him. His appearance on 'Inside MMA' immediately after just didnt sit right with me. Im no hater, just throwing my two cents out there.

I'm interested in what his training background is. It would, in my opinion, take a very agile mind even to borrow techniques from other disciplines to assemble some sort of system. What I'm trying to say is that some training, or at least some physical experience of grappling or fighting techniques seems, in my mind, prerequisite to putting together a new way of approaching things.

Kano was trained in Jiu-jitsu before he experimented with new techniques.

Rolls Gracie was heavily schooled in his family's grappling style before he revolutionized BJJ.

I absolutely have the utmost respect for Greg Jackson; he is a top-notch professional and seems like a cool guy. I have a hard time believing that he came up with a system with no formal training, though.

its not his jiu jitsu, i think its funny that hes trying to take credit by changing the name like its his or something. terrible.... i mean keith jardine is a black belt in it for gods sake haha

Back