Greg Hardy using an inhaler

Your lungs have airways. In people with the asthma disease, those airways sometimes constrict due to inflammation caused by allergies, exertion, etc. In healthy people, those airways never inflame and constrict. Ever.

All an inhaler does is make your airways open back up. So, it doesn't provide any advantage over healthy people. There's no performance enhancement possible with it over normal people. So, it's not at all like the TRT debacle where people could have and did supplement to greater than natural performance levels.

It's like an antibiotic. An antibiotic will help your performance if you're sick and only make you like a normal person. If you're healthy, though, then taking lots of antibiotics won't help your performance at all.

There's no issue with inhalers.
Bullshit. A fighters lack of cardio, regardless of the reason, is a legitimate physical martial weakness that should be allowed to be exploited by their opponent in a fight.

There is literally no difference in being born with asthma and thus having an innate disadvantage in cardio as there is being born with a short reach and thus having an innate disadvantage in reach. We don't allow fighters with short reaches to wear extended gloves to make up for the difference and there is no excuse or justification for allowing fighters with bad cardio via asthma (or any other reason) to eliminate/reduce that weakness.

If you have cardio problems, you have to develop a strategy around defeating the opponent early in the fight. Just like a man with a bad chin has to develop a strategy around that, or a man with short reach. There is NO REASON that bad cardio or asthma is 'special' and deserving of special treatment to make up for this weakness. That is unfair and intolerable.

Bullshit. A fighters lack of cardio, regardless of the reason, is a legitimate physical martial weakness that should be allowed to be exploited by their opponent in a fight.

There is literally no difference in being born with asthma and thus having an innate disadvantage in cardio as there is being born with a short reach and thus having an innate disadvantage in reach. We don't allow fighters with short reaches to wear extended gloves to make up for the difference and there is no excuse or justification for allowing fighters with bad cardio via asthma (or any other reason) to eliminate/reduce that weakness.

If you have cardio problems, you have to develop a strategy around defeating the opponent early in the fight. Just like a man with a bad chin has to develop a strategy around that, or a man with short reach. There is NO REASON that bad cardio or asthma is 'special' and deserving of special treatment to make up for this weakness. That is unfair and intolerable.
Do you feel the same about contact lenses and antibiotics?

Do you feel the same about contact lenses and antibiotics?
Contact lenses, yes. If you're sick on fight day you try to reschedule or fight sick or resign for the fight. Just like if you injured your hand in sparring or something.

Why should some weaknesses be allowed to be mitigated and others aren't? That's nonsense and it hurts the integrity of the sport. If you have bad cardio work on a style that takes that into account, just like if you have a weak grip or no power in your hands or short reach etc. Why is a man born with asthma allowed to artificially mitigate his weakness but a man born with short reach isn't allowed to artificially mitigate his? Why is eyesite or breath less valid as a weakness vs. lack of speed or power? We don't give pillow fisted men brass knuckles to make up for their physical disadvantage, why do bad breathers get a tool to make up for theirs?

That's bullshit.

Since my asthma went away, I've never wheezed or felt any kind of airway restriction from any amount of exertion, no matter how ridiculous. My airways don't narrow from exercise anymore, they just don't. If my airways are narrowing (wheezing comes from airways narrowing) then something like a virus, bacteria, or smoke or something is fucking with my lungs. It means that my lungs are being injured somehow.. I don't think it's normal for healthy people to wheeze.
Not doubting your experience, just that asthma just does not go away
Its an auto immune disease, we can control it, prevent the attacks but it will never go away because its an allergic reaction
If i were you, i would still be careful
Also corticosteroids do help in reducing wheezing, even at higher altitudes it will help you breathe easier

Back