Greenwald is going to publish 2 million Americans names that the NSA have spied on

Well, the issue is invasion of privacy by the government on private citizens, having the tables turned here has a certain vengeful appeal. What's more, the American government has continually obfuscated and provided incomplete explanations about the extent of this program. The more people who feel violated, the more traction a movement to repeal can gain. So, the point here is probably less directly about protected personal privacy by direct action and more about protecting it through informing the public about how involved their lives are in all of this.

If, however, the list is primarily "Muslim-sounding" names, this could backfire, even citizens who can be depicted as foreign for superficial reasons won't create the same level of sympathy as seeing Ted Morehouse and Linda Flaherty named explicitly.

I wouldn't bet on the list containing mostly muslim names. Think of the TSA in the airports. They target everyone, even to the point of ridiculousness. Returning vets in wheel chairs, children, 90 year old grannies, etc. Thet don't care, in fact, it may be the muslims moving through the airport that get singled out the least.

So the list of 2 million names, could be a whole lot of average American citizens. It should cause outrage but I have a feeling its like most of the other reveals. It ends being a situation where a bunch of knuckleheads giggle like air heads and think its funny the government spied on them.

does anyone actually take you seriously with your style of posting?

you come off as someone so full of himself it borderlines with retarded

hiya Fanu,

i don't know, Fanu...its hard to say. i thought Seano made a good point, and i was agreeing with him.

don't know what i've written that's merited such discourtesy from you, though.

- IGIT

I just assume that, because I post on a site full of nutjobs who sometimes threaten open violence against the government, post ridiculous cts, and is infiltrated by propaganda mouthpieces, they've tracked my activities on here.

I hope they put usernames in the list. Like John "ncordless" Doe or something so we can easily identify all the Sherdoggers.

I very much doubt this is thie case, the current administration has a huge crush on Muslim Americans, I think anyone in any agency spying or investigating a a muslim american without a warrant would be immediately shown the door.

I suspect its an almost random list, from a tech standpoint its just easier to data-grab everything and go through it later. The NSA has operated like that since its inception. Listen to everything.

It MIGHT be a list of pro-lifers, christians, Tea Partiers, veterans and people who watch FOX news, they seem to the ones considered terrorists these days, far more than muslims who openly preach jihad (Mr Fort Hood) or bomb marathons (after being warned by the Russians).

We should know soon.

I don't think it will have that many Arab Americans either, as a percentage. There will probably be a pretty big al- section, but there just aren't enough Arab Americans to have them show up in too great a number. Just noting one area where the effect of the reveal could differ greatly from what I expect will happen.

I'm pretty sure my name will be on that list

Back