Greens+ In Europe = $79

Regarding PRAL, have you read Berardi's article on acid and base balance?

One not of caution, however. A higher protein diet can present a high potential renal acid load (PRAL). Therefore some call high protein diets

By the same reasoning, you could say eating broccoli and spinach is useless as well. The fact of the matter remains, greens+ is designed to emulate real vegetables. When taken as a supplement to a balanced diet, they are just as useful as the REAL veggies you eat.

If you can honestly tell me the same guy agrees that vegetables are useless in the diet, he has a point. If you/he wants to bring up the fiber you are missing out on, I'll go ahead and recommend fiber from non-vegetable sources, such as a fiber cereal or supplement.

By the same reasoning, you could say eating broccoli and spinach is useless as well.
i don't think that this is really the case here since we need veggies for fiber and essential nutrients for sure, whereas this guys is debating the idea of acid forming vs.base forming foods. like it's be mentioned, you'd certainly doubt that taking green+ is going to harm you however personally i have to think that alot of the nutrients will have been destroyed through decomposition and processing, and i wonder why not like take fresh veggies nd water a make a shake with them? .

i don't think that this is really the case here since we need veggies for fiber and essential nutrients for sure, whereas this guys is debating the idea of acid forming vs.base forming foods. like it's be mentioned, you'd certainly doubt that taking green+ is going to harm you however personally i have to think that alot of the nutrients will have been destroyed through decomposition and processing, and i wonder why not like take fresh veggies nd water a make a shake with them? .

I agree that real whole food veggies are superior. Greens+ is really akin to protein powder. Obviously it isn't a perfect replacement, but it is hard to argue that it is a waste. The benefits of greens+ other than fiber, as far as vegetables go, are all there.

I'd like to note that the difference between not taking greens supplements and taking them that I have noticed has been major changes as far as digestion. I can't explain it, but one good example is the absense of my lactose intollerance while on greens. If I miss one day a glass of milk has always and will still make me vomit.

I really don't think greens+ should be an excuse to not eat vegetables, but especially for people like me that don't get enough, the benefits are easy to see. People with quality Berardi-esque diets could probably do without and not notice a difference.

ok i can agree with that; the thing that threw me is the same thing that makes me sus-picious of chiropractors, which is that there are fishy claims associated with the product.

plus, i think with either protein powder or a greens supplement might be nice to have but used like a couple times a week when you need a quick replacement, kind of like taking a glass of me-tamuesil with a hamburger.

Thanks for the link, Chuck. It explains the basis of the alkaline diet, although I don't think the author knew he was explaining it.

"When you take in more protein than your body needs, your body cannot store it, so the excess amino acids are converted to organic acids that would acidify your blood. But your blood never becomes acidic because as soon as the proteins are converted to organic acids, calcium leaves your bones to neutralize the acid and prevent any change in pH. Because of this, many scientists think that taking in too much protein may weaken bones to cause osteoporosis."

The whole basis for the alkaline diet is bolded; it's a fact the human body craves homeostasis, and your blood pH rarely leaves the 7.35-7.45 range unless your sick or for only very short periods of time while training. Because it doesn't like leaving this nicely balanced state, it pulls buffers from within. So if you have greater stores of these buffers, or your body doesn't need to work as hard because you're taking in natural buffers, then maintaining homeostasis is less of an issue.

JSN said:
i've read through a few of bernardi's articles, but never been too impressed.

If Berardi doesn't impress you as a sports nutritionist, who does?

i'm fan of common sense nutrition- basically eat as little refined food as possible, and try to work with seasonal, local produce. that's it.

now bernardi may have a decent knowledge of food chem to know about the mechanisms for ph stability in one's bloodstream, but isn't he overstating his point a bit? if the major problem with an acid-producing diet is that it leeches clacium from the bones, then wouldn't you only need to consumer high calcium foods like broccoli and collard greens? thats just part of a basic good diet no matter what IMO.

but why pay a bunch of money for some dehydrated, foul-tasting shit as opposed to making something like gazpacho from hopefully fresh, or at worst frozen food that at least will have been less-processed about 50 times over?

and in fact, i've never seen anythng convincing in regards to pral. sounds like hocus pocus to me. your stomach ph is incredibly low has a pretty narrow level of homeostasis. how exactly are basic foods going to remian basic after they enter the stomach?

'at worst frozen food'

go home now

'at worst frozen food'

go home now
what are you on about, redcoat?

frozen veggies generally lose very little nutrition and are often quite flavorful as they can be viably frozen at peak ripeness and transported far off.

Tell me about it.

I would like a veg/fruit powder that runs to less then 8 pounds a month to make it an acceptable supplement. As of yet Greens+ and NOW phyto foods still cost like

^^^^

Yeah, I'm hoping their ongoing debate about getting a fruit/veg powder will finally be resolved and they will do one of comparable quality.

what are you on about, redcoat?

frozen veggies generally lose very little nutrition and are often quite flavorful as they can be viably frozen at peak ripeness and transported far off.

Yes I know that

But your wording implied that frozen veggies are a lesser alternative ('at worst...') then say fresh veg, whereas fresh veg often has a lower nutrient profile compared to frozen veggies for the above reasons.

yah it depend a little. like from what i understand you guys in the uk are in the same boat in terms of at a grocery store you cannot get quality produce. however, during the summer here we have some farmer's market type places where you can get actual good, ripened, produce, and that i will use anyday over frozen stuff.

yah it depend a little. like from what i understand you guys in the uk are in the same boat in terms of at a grocery store you cannot get quality produce. however, during the summer here we have some farmer's market type places where you can get actual good, ripened, produce, and that i will use anyday over frozen stuff.

Yeah this country sucks for it but often for things like peas uk or us regardless, more nutirents are kept when frrezing occurs within the first hour or so.

Back