Television GREEN LANTERN TV Series (Being Redeveloped, Now Focusing on John Stewart, post #50)

Update: November 19, 2020

GREEN LANTERN Series Will Focus on Guy Gardner, Alan Scott and Original Character Bree Jarta

sxfVtPL.jpg

As more details on the upcoming HBO Max Green Lantern series from Seth Grahame-Smith and Marc Guggenheim continue to find their way online, we now have a better idea of the three ring-slinging heroes who'll receive the lion's share of the spotlight.

Previous reports have indicated that the show will feature several members of the GL Corps, including Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, and Kilowog, but these descriptions (via the Illuminerdi) suggest that the focus will be placed primarily on Guy Gardner, Alan Scott, and an original character we only recently learned would be introduced in the series, Bree Jarta.

Guy Gardner: White Male, 30’s. A hulking mass of masculinity, as rendered in the comics. Guy is a personification of the hyper-patriotism found in the 1980’s that birthed Hulk Hogan and Rambo. However, Guy is still likable. He might act foolish, but he is not a fool. Guy loves his daughter and wife with all of his hard-partying, fast driving, hot tempered heart. But like many alpha males, there is a deep undercurrent of pain driving it all.

Bree Jarta: Black, Female, 30’s. Few Lanterns take their commitment to the Corps and its purpose more seriously than Bree. Bree is half-human and it’s the half she’s worked hard to forget. Bree has an alien mother and a human father. However, she was raised on a more enlightened planet with an advanced society. Bree outworked her peers and earner her Ring only to find herself partnered with Guy Gardner.

Alan Scott: White Male, 28 years old. From the outside, Alan is the model of early 1940’s. The image of a G-Man. Alan is handsome, clean-shaven and well dressed without a hair out of place. He has spent his young life trying to personify truth, justice, and the American Way. He is already a household name in L.A. and is seen as hero thanks to positive press coverage. However, for all of Alan’s honesty, there is one huge lie that follows him. He is a gay man. A fact that, in his era, could cost him his job, or even his life.

There are some interesting details here for sure, including the reveal that Gardner and Jarta will be partnered-up. This suggests that the show may retain elements of the "buddy cop" tone earlier incarnations of the project were said to have. The Alan Scott breakdown might also confirm a recent rumor that the series will span multiple time periods.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/gree...rdner-bree-jarta-alan-scott-a180225#gs.lcpuyy

Update: October 29, 2019

GREEN LANTERN Live-Action TV Series in the Works from Greg Berlanti

hGPTleD.jpg

Greg Berlanti continues to add to his record-breaking TV series tally.

The prolific producer behind The CW's rapidly expanding Arrow-verse has set two DC Comics-inspired series at HBO Max, including a new take on Green Lantern and anthology Strange Adventures.

"Both of these original DC properties we’ll be creating for HBO Max will be unlike anything seen on television,” said Berlanti, who now has 21 live-action scripted originals across seven outlets. "An anthology series of cautionary tales set in a world where superpowers exist, and, in what promises to be our biggest DC show ever made, we will be going to space with a Green Lantern television series, but I can’t reveal any more about that just yet."

This is Berlanti's second swing at the world of Green Lantern. He previously penned the screenplay (alongside Michael Green, frequent collaborator Marc Guggenheim and Michael Goldenberg) for the 2011 DC-produced Ryan Reynolds feature. That movie was met with negative reviews and was considered a flop. (It grossed $219 million vs. a budget of $200 million.)

Strange Adventure, meanwhile, is an anthology that explores characters across the sprawling DC Comics world. The hourlong drama will explore closed-ended morality tales about the intersecting lives of mortals and superhumans. It is based on DC characters and, like all Berlanti-produced shows, produced by Warner Bros. TV and Greg Berlanti Productions. GBP topper Sarah Schechter will exec produce alongside John Stephens (Gotham, the original Gossip Girl). Charlie Huston (Gotham) will produce, while Selwyn Seyfu Hinds (The Twilight Zone) will serve as a consulting producer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...reg-berlanti-dc-dramas-set-at-hbo-max-1250950

Alan Scott and Guy Gardiner. Ole Kyle Rayner gets passed over again

HBO Max is really bad guys. Don’t get too excited.

Guy Gardner - I though that guy was the butt of jokes each time he showed up on Batman:The Brave and the Bold (loved that show).

Alan Scott - I'm interested. Since being gay was a cause to lose your security clearance during the Cold War, it would be pretty cool that Alan could be rejected by an elite alphabet organization within the US government, but then be recruited in the most elite organization in the galaxy.

Guy Gardner - I though that guy was the butt of jokes each time he showed up on Batman:The Brave and the Bold (loved that show).

Alan Scott - I'm interested. Since being gay was a cause to lose your security clearance during the Cold War, it would be pretty cool that Alan could be rejected by an elite alphabet organization within the US government, but then be recruited in the most elite organization in the galaxy.

While that is neat, Alan Scott has never been anything more than an honourary member of the GL corps. Even though his powers are basically identical and they have the exact same values.

I love GL comics but there’s holes

More scutter.

I have high hopes and relatively low expectations for this. I like Green Lantern lore and am a fan of Jessica Cruz.

Update: April 30, 2021

American Horror Story's Finn Wittrock to Star as Guy Gardner in GREEN LANTERN Series for HBO Max

1ovUsSr.jpg

Finn Wittrock is joining the DC universe. The American Horror Story and Ratched actor has be cast in a key starring role in HBO Max's upcoming Green Lantern series.

Wittrock will play Guy Gardner, one of the many Green Lantern characters that will be featured in the big-budget drama from exec producer Greg Berlanti and Warner Bros. TV. In recent decades the character has been portrayed in the comics as a parody of a militant, macho American hero. The HBO Max character is described as "a hulking mass of masculinity, and, as rendered in the comics, an embodiment of 1980s hyper-patriotism. And yet, Guy is somehow likable."

Here's the official show description: "Green Lantern reinvents the classic DC property through a story spanning decades and galaxies, beginning on Earth in 1941 with the very first Green Lantern, secretly gay FBI agent Alan Scott, and 1984, with cocky alpha male Guy Gardner and half-alien Bree Jarta. They'll be joined by a multitude of other Lanterns — from comic book favorites to never-before-seen heroes."

Sources say Berlanti's camp had a conversation with Ryan Murphy as Wittrock is attached as the male lead on season two of the latter creator's Ratched drama for Netflix. Murphy is said to have agreed to let Wittrock prioritize Green Lantern as a return date for production on season two of Ratched has not yet been determined. Green Lantern is expected to begin filming this year.

Casting for Alan Scott is also expected to be announced shortly as a deal with an actor is on the cusp of closing. HBO Max's Green Lantern, per sources, will be the most expensive show that Arrow-verse architect Berlanti has produced in his career.

Berlanti, Seth Grahame-Smith (The Lego Batman Movie) and Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, 2011's Green Lantern feature film) are credited as writers on the series, with the Grahame-Smith set as showrunner on Green Lantern. DC's Geoff Johns, Berlanti Productions partner Sarah Schechter and head of TV David Madden also exec produce alongside David Katzenberg and co-EPs Elizabeth Hunter and Sara Saedi.

The drama is one of multiple DC Comics titles in the works for WarnerMedia-backed HBO Max. There's also a Suicide Squad spinoff focused on Peacemaker (John Cena) also being developed, as well as a series about the Gotham City police department which also has ties to Matt Reeves' forthcoming The Batman. J.J. Abrams is also working on multiple other DC Comics titles, including Justice League Dark.

Wittrock recently wrapped filming season 10 of Murphy's FX anthology American Horror Story. He will next be seen opposite Amanda Seyfried in Sony feature A Mouthful of Air and Ben Affleck vehicle Deep Water. His credits include Judy, If Beale Street Could Talk, The Big Short and in Murphy's American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace and The Normal Heart.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/finn-wittrock-to-star-in-green-lantern-on-hbo-max

I don't know about this actor but I'm pretty excited what Hbo can do with the green lantern corps. Just wondering who will be the main villain

Green Lantern is one of the few DC characters I like so I hope this gets done.

Oh wow just what the world needs

Green lantern

Our problems are over

Back