Green Book (2018) - Viggo Mortensen & Mahershala Ali

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This looks stellar AF albeit Oscar-bait and I teared up a bit watching the trailer.

It is directed by Peter Farrelly, same dude who directed Dumb and Dumber with his bro.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This looks stellar AF albeit Oscar-bait and I teared up a bit watching the trailer.

It is directed by Peter Farrelly, same dude who directed Dumb and Dumber with his bro.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Aragorn is OK, but Mahershala is an amazing rising actor.

Great work in House Of Cards, and the only good thing in the whole series of Luke "N***a n***a n***a" Cage.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Viggo's career trajectory is going the way of Daniel Day Lewis. Few movies but worth watching-Oscar bait films.

Aragorn is OK, but Mahershala is an amazing rising actor.

Great work in House Of Cards, and the only good thing in the whole series of Luke "N***a n***a n***a" Cage.
Amazing rising actor? He's 44 and already has an Oscar trophy. He has achieved more than the 90% of his peers. But yeah, I get what you're saying.

Amazing rising actor? He's 44 and already has an Oscar trophy. He has achieved more than the 90% of his peers. But yeah, I get what you're saying.

You got my curiousity and attention.

OK, did my HW. Should I watch moonlight? Doesn't sound like my cup of tea film-wise, but if it's something epic....

OK, did my HW. Should I watch moonlight? Doesn't sound like my cup of tea film-wise, but if it's something epic....
I honestly haven't seen Moonlight so I can't recommend. I just skimmed the guy's filmography and saw him in a couple blockbusters.

That looks outstanding. Viggo looking a little haggard; wonder if he did that for the role.

Is Bobby the funny one? Still giving this a shot. It doesn't look bad.

Decent movie but not epic and a little overrated. If it doesnt sound like it's for you I'd skip it.

Was hoping more for a black and white cop comedy from that era.

This is essentially just another take on the magical negro trope, not new or groundbreaking and TBH I was cringing watching that trailer, for a film that's supposed to teach us about racism or whatever, Mortensen's character is a laughable caricature of an Italian American. Fugggedddabbbbouddd it, come on that shit made my skin crawl.

People are so obsessed with race politics in 2018 America though that they will eat this shit up and we'll all be told it's genius and we are racist for thinking otherwise. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it but we all know what the dogma on shit like this is by now.

‘Green Book’ wins audience award at Toronto Film Festival
https://apnews.com/cd8a891346c9481089b1c828e02a7657

NEW YORK (AP) — Peter Farrelly’s crowd-pleasing Deep South road trip movie “Green Book” won the Toronto International Film Festival’s audience award on Sunday, putting it on an envious path to the Oscars.

Toronto’s People’s Choice Award is one of the most closely watched of the fall festival circuit because it often corresponds with awards-season success. In the past decade, every Toronto People’s Choice winner has scored a best-picture nomination at the Academy Awards.

Few pundits pegged “Green Book” as an awards favorite ahead of its world premiere in Toronto. It is, after all, directed by one-half of the sibling duo best known for broad comedies like “There’s Something About Mary” and “Dumb and Dumber.”

But the audience response was rapturous to “Green Book,” which stars Mahershala Ali as a classical pianist on a concert tour of the Deep South in the 1960s. Viggo Mortensen plays the Italian-American bouncer hired to drive him while relying on “The Green Book,” the guide for African-American-friendly hotels and restaurants.

Back