Green Bay Packers 2023

Rodgers isn't playing more than 2 years max. He has said before that his goal was to play until 40 and that he doesn't want to be like Brady; playing until his mid 40's.

If he wins another MVP and loses in the AFC title game next season, especially if he plays well in said title game, I'm betting he will call it career.

Rodgers isn't playing more than 2 years max. He has said before that his goal was to play until 40 and that he doesn't want to be like Brady; playing until his mid 40's.

If he wins another MVP and loses in the AFC title game next season, especially if he plays well in said title game, I'm betting he will call it career.
I agree with the two years. No more than that. But that scenario ensures year two happens imo. It ends when he drops off, which will be in the latter half of year two. Having success next season will just push him further.

I agree with the two years. No more than that. But that scenario ensures year two happens imo. It ends when he drops off, which will be in the latter half of year two. Having success next season will just push him further.

I think Rodgers really wants an Elway/Manning SB ride off into the sunset. I wish it could have happened in GB, but I really hope he gets that chance in NY.

I think Rodgers really wants an Elway/Manning SB ride off into the sunset. I wish it could have happened in GB, but I really hope he gets that chance in NY.
Yeah i totally agree. From a pure talent perspective I think he's got a better shot with this Jets team than anything GB's been able to put forth in a while. I really think people overlooked how loaded that team is, and how much the awful qb play was a drag on everything else.

I guess we can thank Rodgers that Lazard didn't sign with the Bears as well. <45>

Sucks that it seems like Gute/Murphy and Rodgers couldn't handle this like grown ups and just talk honestly about their intentions, I won't blame either side too much, though. Rodgers seems to be an absolute pain in the ass to deal with, who knows what would have happened if they straight up told him that they want to move on. He's also the last person on earth to have the right to complain about passive-aggressive actions. On the other hand, everything since the Love pick was a mess and their chance to get a great compensation was gone the minute they signed that retarded deal with Rodgers. More than enough people wanted to move on after yet another failure as big favorite, at home against Jimmy G. The team was DONE.

As for journalists vs. Rodgers...it certainly seems like he found a great tool to spew his propaganda with the McAfee show. There is no way in hell he didn't realise that the Packers wanted to move on, I also don't believe for a second that he really wanted to retire. Schefter might be a douchebag, but his reporting on Rodgers was somehow spot on the past few years. Rodgers goes to his buddies and cries that it's not a money issue, that he doesn't want to be the highest paid player bla bla bla, then everyone hated on Schefter... guys wake me up when someone else signs for 50 fucking million per year.

Personally, as stated in the NFL thread, I would like to know what the compensation will be already. Every party thinks that the other one has no leverage lol. Both have their arguments. I'd love to have #13 this year at the very least, but no one has any idea where the talks actually are. If the Jets really just want to give up thirds and conditional seconds or whatever, the Packers have every right to wait it out, let him come back or retire. I get the feeling that it won't be done anytime soon. Jets have also every right to claim that the Packers want to get rid and they are the only bidders (so were the Raiders with Adams, tho...both teams still found a nice solution), they can move to the other great options on the market or let Zachary Wilson decide their job future.

I do think he was gaslighting the Packers a bit but I think he was honest about wanting to retire and not considering playing somewhere else until the Jets came knocking. I think he was only talking about playing elsewhere to leverage the Packers and seems like he enjoyed essentially being king of a rural midwestern town. That's why he signed the 60 million dollar contract which in his mind would have concluded with him retiring a Packer.

I think Aaarons main goal was to intimidate the Packers into not releasing his friends. That's really the feel I got from that press confrence 2 years ago where he was listing all his teammates the Packers released he didn't want released. It was essentially "don't release any of my people or else" and I suspect this is why he partnered with the Pat McAfee show originally so he had a platform to publically air his grievances(thus the "or else"). If he wanted to leave he would have done the Russ thing.

He wanted to be treated the way Eli was in New York where the brass loved him unconditionally even if he sucked and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to let him go.

Spotrac has a little more on Rodgers contract.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

If the Packers release Rodgers prior to June, they will save his $31,623,568 scheduled salary cap hit but the $99,778,568 dead money would hit the cap so it would cost $68,155,000 more against the cap than if Rodgers was still on the roster.

If the Packers trade Rodgers to the Jets and the Jets take over his contract, the Packers are left with $40,313,568 dead cap so $8,690 528 more against the cap than if he is still on the roster.

If the Packers would release Rodgers after June 1st it would be $75,298,568 in dead cap money against the 2023 cap which would mean $43,675,00 more against the cap than if they keep him. The other $24,480,000 is applied to the 2024 cap. In my mind, it would be better to keep him on the roster than to lose almost $44 million in cap space

If the Packers trade Rodgers after June 1st, they still have $40,313,568 dead cap hit but it can be taken as $15,833,568 in 2023 and $24,480,000 in 2024 so they would have an extra $15,790,000 to cover the cap this season. So a trade designated as June 2nd would clear the most cap space.

I assume retirement would leave dead cap money pretty much the same as if he was cut but I can't find anything definite.

Yesterdays information just confirms that his McAfee PR tour consisted mostly of lies and that it was mostly egoistical and completely about money.

Yesterdays information just confirms that his McAfee PR tour consisted mostly of lies and that it was mostly egoistical and completely about money.

Yeah, I'm imagining Gute and Rodgers season ending sit down consisted of him being told if he came back he'd have to at a reduced rate and that Love would be the starter in 2024.

Yeah, I'm imagining Gute and Rodgers season ending sit down consisted of him being told if he came back he'd have to at a reduced rate and that Love would be the starter in 2024.
I kinda doubt that they were that open right away, Rodgers after all said that he got notice that they were shopping him sometime later (during his retreat?). But of course, I'm pretty sure that his whole story wasn't very accurate to say the least.

I'm glad that it seems like the deal is really just a few details away from being completed. I'm not sure but I also feel like this years draft kind of sucks lol. Maybe better to have a possible first next year.

Need to be careful because it seems like there's gonna be a lot of hit pieces coming as he leaves. Lot of media people don't like him, and as we've seen from all the Greg Jennings-ish shit that's come out over the years, a good amount of them are bullshit.

I can't blame Gutekunst for moving on. The Packers needed to know if Aaron was playing. If he retired and the team takes a nearly $100 million dead cap hit which ends up being close to $70 million when Aaron's salary is removed, has everything to do with what the team can do in free agency and who they have to cut to stay under the cap. A trade works out best for the cap.

The stories coming out make me wonder if Rodgers agent, David Dunn, didn't forward messages or if he couldn't contact Rodgers either.

So what are everyones thoughts about the draft? Feels to me like it's a rather weak draft and the Rodgers deal still not being done also kind of takes the motivation/excitement away (for me at least).

I'm at the point where i want the trade to the Jets to fall through, just so that organization needs to roll out Zach Wilson again and deal with that embarrassment.

Send him elsewhere or just tell him to stay home and eat the money. Bahk put it perfectly.

Back