Green Bay Packers 2021 Offseason

This. At some point you have to stop making excuses for Aaron. A good example of a difference between the two was the play at the end of the half, and the fourth and goal field goal. Tom was pulled off the field and made a case for going back out. I didn’t like the call at the time, but worked out perfect.

Aaron was called off the field and he could have said no, let’s go for it. Let’s do this. He didn’t and the plan didn’t work out. If Aaron really wanted to, he could have used a veto there.

Did Aaron tell the D to run prevent with 8 seconds? Did he fumble that led to a TD? Did he make the call to not go for a tying TD?

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodg...essage-to-packers-brass-that-organizational-m

Some rumors that Patriots might be interested in acquiring Rodgers. Watch him win SB with a phenomenal coach and organization that give a shit about their QB.

Some rumors that Patriots might be interested in acquiring Rodgers. Watch him win SB with a phenomenal coach and organization that give a shit about their QB.

No way Rodgers is being traded. At least not in 2021. Gute and LaFluer still need to see if Love is even the guy.

Aaron just walked off when the play was called
The annoying thing about not running there is, that even if he wouldn't have been able to go all the way, I believe they definitely would have played out the 4th down from the two yard line or maybe even closer. And even if that attempt had failed, the Bucs would start their drive in that extremely shitty position and it would have been way easier to stop them.

Even Dungy is talking shit. Will Pettine survive, fellow GB fans?

Mike Pettine Under Fire After Bucs Touchdown Before Halftime

From time to time I check out the FF boards and they have compiled a list with possible/realistic candidates there. That list is not impressive at all...wouldn't rule out Pettine staying.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/source-aaron-rodgers-wants-a-new-contract/

giphy.gif

Gute probably.

The annoying thing about not running there is, that even if he wouldn't have been able to go all the way, I believe they definitely would have played out the 4th down from the two yard line or maybe even closer. And even if that attempt had failed, the Bucs would start their drive in that extremely shitty position and it would have been way easier to stop them.

From time to time I check out the FF boards and they have compiled a list with possible/realistic candidates there. That list is not impressive at all...wouldn't rule out Pettine staying.
Aaron has some wheels. I think he couldn’t have at least got to the two. Not sure what he saw to throw that. It was tight coverage. Oh well, there is still next year.

The rumor right now from Florio is that Rodgers wants a new deal which... I find hard to believe. Rodgers has been around long enough to know it's unlikely he could get a new deal. Hell, he's guaranteed to make like 31 mil next season at least I think.

IF Rodgers gets a new deal I hope he takes something super team friendly that forces them to use the money to get guys in Free Agency.

I know it won't happen

The rumor right now from Florio is that Rodgers wants a new deal which... I find hard to believe. Rodgers has been around long enough to know it's unlikely he could get a new deal. Hell, he's guaranteed to make like 31 mil next season at least I think.

IF Rodgers gets a new deal I hope he takes something super team friendly that forces them to use the money to get guys in Free Agency.

I know it won't happen

There isn't really anything he can do. The only way to lower his cost to the team would be to convert it to a bonus on a 5 year deal.
In terms of salary cap impact, a trade is essentially the same as releasing a player. If a player is traded at the deadline, all future prorated money will accelerate into the next season. For some teams, that takes certain players off the table if their signing bonuses and other prorated bonuses are large. In general, if a player's dead money charge in a given year will prevent him from being released the following year, it will also prevent him from being traded during the given season.

This article is a good read as to why the huge contracts that include signing bonuses make trading a player so difficult. The signing bonus has already been paid but teams are allowed to spread it out over the years of the contract. When a player leaves the team through trade, retirement or being cut, they have to account for that money on their books. If they wait until after the league year starts, they can split it over the next 2 seasons but it has to be accounted for. It can't be transferred to another team in a trade.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/why-nfl-trades-are-rare/1fwllykgo2amj1dka7oj352ah6

Here is where the Packers are in relation to the salary cap. Note that the red number in the cap space denotes that they are over the cap by ($28,639,726).
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

There isn't really anything he can do. The only way to lower his cost to the team would be to convert it to a bonus on a 5 year deal.

This article is a good read as to why the huge contracts that include signing bonuses make trading a player so difficult. The signing bonus has already been paid but teams are allowed to spread it out over the years of the contract. When a player leaves the team through trade, retirement or being cut, they have to account for that money on their books. If they wait until after the league year starts, they can split it over the next 2 seasons but it has to be accounted for. It can't be transferred to another team in a trade.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/why-nfl-trades-are-rare/1fwllykgo2amj1dka7oj352ah6

Here is where the Packers are in relation to the salary cap. Note that the red number in the cap space denotes that they are over the cap by ($28,639,726).
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/
It's going to be interesting to see how they try to address this.

Likely is that no or a small restructure = they want to move on rather early; big restructure or even a new deal = they keep him longer and do something else with Love. Of course they could have a bigger restructure and still not keep him or no restructure and actually keep him, just not all that likely.

Maybe there is next year for you but I'm old, I might not see the end of another season!
Think he wanted to mock us with the next year stuff :(

I think I've talked about this before, but yeah, the Packers' cap situation is very dire and restructuring Aaron's contract by converting short-term salary to long-term guarantees is absolutely necessary.

Using OveTheCap, the Packers are currently $28,639,726 OVER the cap.

So, with the following cuts...
Preston Smith
Christian Kirksey
Billy Turner
Josh Jackson
Jace Sterberger

...we're $9,143,879 OVER the cap

So, with the following additional cuts...
Dean Lowry
Oren Burks
Devin Funchess
Ka'Dar Hollman

...we're stlll $2,826,992 over the cap

At this point, there really isn't any more fat to cut. Completely restructuring Aaron's contract would open up nearly $10 million in space, but that won't happen. At most, about $7 million will be opened up from restructuring.

That leaves about $4-5 million in 2021 cap room for: Aaron Jones, Corey Linsley, Lane Taylor, and everyone else.

Aaron isn't going anywhere! I just watched him on Pat's show.

@Trotsky do they still expect it to be at 175 million?

Back