Greatest wins in boxing history?

ya, no shit. Huge win.

Max might get the shit end of the stick more than anyone in boxing history, at least with the casuals i know.

Remembered as an arrogant Nazi who got whooped.

Wasnt a Nazi, or at least, not really. Joe and him got on great. Oh ya, and most people dont know he also beat Joe Muthafuckin Louis in his prime, or at least real close.

edit - saved two jewish kids by hiding them in his house, and refused to fire his jewish trainer, openly defying Hitler. Fuck. This guy’s name got done dirty.

He helped support Louis's widow, as well. While he may have gotten the shit end of the stick at the time, it does seem like Schmeling's reputation has been fully rehabilitated in the mind of the public nowadays. Also, he somehow lived to age 99 after taking several terrible beatings in his career.

Hopkins vs Trinidad

Ray Mercer vs Tommy Morrison

I would have liked this post if you included the top and excluded the bottom.

Sadly the sordid and sad tale of Tommy Morrison’s demise makes it hard for him to be talked about in a discussion of greats. I’ve never knew him personally poor guy.

As for Trinidad vs Hopkins. Trinidad weighed more on fight night and had been in the P4P top 3 for 5 or 6 years beforehand,

Bradley over Manny - I didn't think Bradley was anywhere near that level. Yes Manny wasn't at his peak and the decision can be debatable.
Kind of insane he had to fight him 3 times to prove he beat him the first time lol

Way too many to list, but some that I can think of:
Ali vs Liston
Frazier vs Ali
Ali vs Foreman
Duran vs Leonard 1
Leonard vs Hagler
Douglas vs Tyson
RJJ vs Hopkins
RJJ vs Toney
Fury vs Wlad
Pacquiao has a couple

Was Pacquiao considered that much better than Morales at the time? I kinda fell Morales was the biggest fighter of the two at that time, pretty much was its last stand before a 4 fight losing streak (incluiding 2 vs Pac).
Pacquiao destroyed Barrera .....Barrera had just beat Morales......Pacquiao was a fairly big favourite imo

Win doesn’t look as good in hindsight

Tszyu vs Judah

Pacquiao destroyed Barrera .....Barrera had just beat Morales......Pacquiao was a fairly big favourite imo

If you use mma(boxing) math I guess. I mean that was Pacmans only A level win and all of Barrera-Morales were pretty much coin tosses. Pacman also had that draw with JMM were he was dominated for most of the later rounds after a hugeeee first round wich may have left the impression he was green or inexperienced.

In hindsight many people think JMM is the better of the 3 mexican boxer but at the time he was still unproven, so that should have affected Pacmans perception going in to the Morales fight.

Last edited:
If you use mma(boxing) math I guess. I mean that was Pacmans only A level win and all of Barrera-Morales were pretty much coin tosses. Pacman also had that draw with JMM were he was dominated for most of the later rounds after a hugeeee first round wich may have shown he was green or inexperienced.

In hindsight many people think JMM is the better of the 3 mexican boxer but at the time he was still unproven, so that should have affected Pacmans perception going in to the Morales fight.
I was a big JMM fan at the time .... so my opinion may have been different than some ....I get your point though ....i Should rewatch PAC - Marquez 1 sometime ... I remember scoring it slightly for pac at the time ... but it’s been a while ...., morales beating PAC doesn’t really need to be considered a upset to meet ts criteria though .., I feel some are missing that

James Toney vs Michael Nunn
Riddick Bowe vs Evander Holyfield I
Erik Morales vs Manny Pacquiao I

5'8 middleweight harry greb beating a 25 yr old, 6 foot plus all time great heavyweight Gene Tunney

The only loss of tunney's career

Calling Tunney an alltime HW is a bit of a stretch. He didnt achieve much of anything at the weight. He was much better classified as a light heavy. He was a really good HW tho. And FWIW most of the ringside had Greb winning the rematch too which is insane. I think Grebs win over Walker was arguably more impressive. Not as much weight given but Mickey is a clearly greater fighter than Tunney and was at his peak while Greb was falling off and partially blind. There is a reason he is unanimously top 5 and a GOAT level boxer. Really hope we get footage of him soon its criminal the amount we have

Duran started his career as a 118lbs bantam a decade before SRL debuted. His first 20+ fights were at 130lbs or less and a handful at 120lbs or less. Even Benitez whos one of the GOAT teen boxers was never under junior welter even at 15yo age.

SRL is widely considered top 20 P4P alltime by everyone, and top 2 (3 at absolute worst) ever in a historic WW division and Duran went up and beat him up at SRL's peak weight while he was undefeated and in prime. Durans peak weight was obviously LW but SRL was noticeably bigger, faster (at least handspeed), more athletic, longer, taller and younger. And it still didnt matter and SRL is a guy who has always leaned on his physical gifts too for his game to work effectively and pick up his best wins/performances. That win by Duran was also in the midst (like several months apart) of SRL stopping two undefeated ATGs in 38-0 Benitez and 32-0 Tommy Hearns. He was already touted as a future ATG after that Benitez win and his ring generalship and fighting style was already very honed it certainly didnt peak much higher if at all

What makes it crazier was how soundly Duran did it and genuinely hurting him multiple times including that left hook that was prolly the most hurt SRL was in his prime. I had that scored 11-4 or 10-4-1 to Duran (10-5 at best) last i watched too. It wasnt a walk in the park but it was close to being wide IMO. Honestly he made it look easier than in fights with EDJ whos a borderline ATG LW and a GOAT level Rican

It is very very hard to beat that win. And we actually have footage of it and its hard for me to say ive ever seen a better boxer under a breadth of film/footage that was better than late 70s to 1980 Duran

Last edited:
Canelo wasn't close to his prime though.

Tyson was slipping, but that's obviously in retrospect.

Agree on the others.

Douglas vs Tyson is one of the biggest upsets EVER. You can say this or you can say that, but literally any sparring partner that had sparred both was floored that Douglas could pull that off.

Canelo already had 8 years of pro xp, or close to it so he wasn't that innocent. Floyd's win keeps looking better. Also, people overstate how much Canelo learned from that loss. He still has a lot of the same habits.

Thanks for your feedback, I just don't FULLY agree eith you about those two.

Wins that havent been mentioned yet

Henry Armstrong VS Barney Ross
Salvador Sanchez VS Wilfredo Gomez
Wilfredo Gomez VS Carlos Zarate
Fighting Haradas VS Eder Jofre

Prolly the 2 GOAT teen performances

Lionel Rose VS Fighting Harada in Japan as a teen (granted 19)

Wilfred Benitez VS Antonio Cervantes as a teen - Cervantes is an alltimer at his weight and that was his only loss from 72-80 till the Pryor KO. He was running his division and this unranked teenager beats him

Last edited:
Foreman vs Moorer deserves a mention.

Big wins in the Ross / Canzoneri / McLarnin wars. Only the beatdown McLarnin gave to an over-the-hill Canzoneri in their rematch isn’t a great win, I guess.

Can't think of a greater win than Schmeling's dominating win over Joe Louis in front of 60 000 fans at the height of political tensions. Plus Joe Louis was seen as invincible after whipping Baer and Carnera easily in the previous year.

He helped support Louis's widow, as well. While he may have gotten the shit end of the stick at the time, it does seem like Schmeling's reputation has been fully rehabilitated in the mind of the public nowadays. Also, he somehow lived to age 99 after taking several terrible beatings in his career.

Nobody will talk shit about Max Schmeling in Germany.
He is a national hero here. Best german boxer ever.

sor rungvisai's wins over chocolatito probably have to count too

Calling Tunney an alltime HW is a bit of a stretch. He didnt achieve much of anything at the weight. He was much better classified as a light heavy. He was a really good HW tho. And FWIW most of the ringside had Greb winning the rematch too which is insane. I think Grebs win over Walker was arguably more impressive. Not as much weight given but Mickey is a clearly greater fighter than Tunney and was at his peak while Greb was falling off and partially blind. There is a reason he is unanimously top 5 and a GOAT level boxer. Really hope we get footage of him soon its criminal the amount we have
I've seen people saying Greb shouldn't be ranked in an ATG list because of the lack of footage but I don't know how someone with such a long successful career could be excluded.

Back