Greatest Rise to the Challenge performances

Forrest vs Rampage was another one where a lunch pail guy rose up to take it from the champ.

Miesha Tate vs Holm for the belt.
Got the ever living shit pummelled out of her. Somehow clawed back the fight to choke her out.
I need to rewatch this. I don't remember Miesha having the shit beaten out of her. More like Holly was winning rounds/points.

Bj penn vs lyoto machida at 205 pounds or maybe it was heavy weight .. That was cool to see
This is a bit of a stretch. More like "rose to the higher weight division".
0aVRhbE.gif

Was thinking at the time Charlie Brenneman had a short notice fight against Rick Story (2011) and was expected to get pumped. He in turn dominated every second of that fight then faded into irrelevance.

Good one. That was a shocker, for sure.

GSP vs Bisping/Hughes 2 , Cruz vs TJ , Colby vs Maia/RDA. , Holloway vs Ortega , The Chris vs Anderoid 1 , 2 , @The Domin8or forcing @20falarVerdades to tap to strikes was amazing too i think @GrayArea was in attendance that night too crying after seeing Dozer get KOd by @dawzz.
Colby vs RDA was so amazing i'll never forget all of the colby nerds haters here drowning in their basements from their own nerd/virgin tears after Colby won the undisputed title that night the energy in Chaos Nation capital was crazy i think @King in the North was hospitalized that night from being drowned in his tears after Colby won.
@dawzz ducked @Dozer . harder than GSP did with Silva

Is normal, everybody is scared of the Goats

<{silvanormal}>

I need to rewatch this. I don't remember Miesha having the shit beaten out of her. More like Holly was winning rounds/points.
The reason I say that is because I remember my wife catching glimpses of the fight and saying "are you ok.... do you like watching women get beat up or something....."

I'd file that one under "questionable judges decision" or "Rampage's opponent via Rampage's inactivity".
I think that’s a little unfair on Forrest.
I had him winning
And he used his best asset, his pace, to outwork Page. Leg kick obviously played a part in Jackson being hesitant to throw iirc

Either way I felt he rose to the occasion, fought his best fight and won the belt from a guy that was probably the better fighter.

Cain vs JDS is obvious here.

Id say Bigfoot Overeem also.
Not so sure about Bigfoot Overeem. Reem was winning pretty handily before he (as he always does being one of the most arrogant guys the sport has ever seen) got too cocky and paid for it. Had there been an immediate rematch I imagine Reem would have still been the favorite.

Someone post mcgregor Aldo
Woodley Lawler as well
Lol, McGregor and Aldo both landed 1 punch each, Conors just landed a split second sooner and an inch lower and left people with a lot of questions. Not sure that meets the criteria but I'm surprised and impressed it took this long to come up.

tj beating the p4p champ
Hendricks vs gsp,hendricks had more top time,which no one has ever done in 5 rounder vs gsp and landed the more effective shots.his tkd was amazing.

Hendo, a guy who fought at MW for a large portion of his career, moving up to HW.. barely making the minimum weight then koing the HW GOAT in Fedor
After getting dropped and GnPed and another guy that had there been an immediate rematch would have likely still been the underdog.

Doesn't meet the criteria in the OP.

Another one I knew would be here and am surprised and impressed ittook this long to be mentioned.

Not sure Jones should be here as the betting favorite in that fight. I guess you could say he rose to the challenge in how dramatically and one-sidedly he won though.
you shouldve been here, thats back when Shogun fans were the absolute worst posters on this site

Champion 2011 got em so mad

Robert Whittaker v jacare
Whittaker v Romero 1

Though he did not win, a MW rose up to the challenge on short notice to fight LHW Champ Jon Jones. And to this day, is still the fighter who came the closest to defeating Jones.

JJ1.gif
giphy.gif
Except apart from that flukey moment, TRT Vitor got worked for 99.9% of that fight and finished

Back