Greatest Rise to the Challenge performances

GSP_37

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Talking about a key match up where one guy rose to the challenge and sealed the deal where there were no doubts who won.

Jon Jones vs Shogun Rua for the LHW title

TJ Dillashaw vs Renan Barao 1 for the 135 title against long unbeaten champ from top notch camp

Gabe Gongaza vs Crocop where I think winner got shitle tot

Rose vs JJ 1 for the title

RDA vs Pettis. Pretty much everyone was saying easy fight for Pettis and Rafa just jumped on him and never let up.

Not sure Jones should be here as the betting favorite in that fight. I guess you could say he rose to the challenge in how dramatically and one-sidedly he won though.

c781b103de6673a0a52375043bbd8be6.gif

giphy.gif

Not sure Jones should be here as the betting favorite in that fight. I guess you could say he rose to the challenge in how dramatically and one-sidedly he won though.
Wasn't it short notice and impromptu chasing robber up a hill right before the match? Impressive.

Bobby Knucklez in the rematch with Romero.

Wasn't it short notice and impromptu chasing robber up a hill right before the match? Impressive.
Well the thief didn't seem to put up much of a fight, Jon just kind of chased him down and arm-barred him or something.

Super impressive performance though, no disputing that. I just thought this thread was referring to victories where the underdog rose to the challenge (as was the case with your other examples). If its just generally great performances then sure.

Champions have a tendency to beat the shit out of their opponents whether they the challenger or champ beforehand, that's why they're the champ... There are so many.

Recently Holloway absolutely murdered Ortega - I was all over that hype train, but that win was so decisive I'm sure it would happen like that every time.

Nunes vs Ronda, after Holly had raised the question, Nunes made sure nobody ever asked " Will she be champ again?"

Randy Couture made sure we would never see another boxing celebrity in the UFC when he choked out James Toney.

Cardio decisively rekt Dada5000 and Kimbo...

The list goes on and on and on and on... The list goes on and on.

Holly Holm looked unbeatable there. Honda couldn't do anything to her at all. It's like Holly especially raised her game for that one considering her matches against lesser opponents were often dull.

Well the thief didn't seem to put up much of a fight, Jon just kind of chased him down and arm-barred him or something.

Super impressive performance though, no disputing that. I just thought this thread was referring to victories where the underdog rose to the challenge (as was the case with your other examples). If its just generally great performances then sure.
Not necessarily underdog, but one guy clearly showing he's far superior to other guy with something big at stake. Not necessarily one-sided ass whoopings either.

Ngannou vs reem, after that KO people jumped on the hype train real quick.

I know most will disagree with me, as Holm vs. Rousey was pretty one-sided and Holm got the finish, but in my opinion Nunes' came into the Rousey fight with bad intentions and was vicious for as long as the fight lasted.

Dillashaw vs Barao is the best example I can think of. Barao was looking unbeatable at the time and Dillashaw killed him and made it looked easy.

Holly Holm looked unbeatable there. Honda couldn't do anything to her at all. It's like Holly especially raised her game for that one considering her matches against lesser opponents were often dull.
Holly Holm and Nate diaz should be considered MMA royalty for effectively making their rivals eat more crow then any other fighters in MMA history

Back