Greatest PRIDE fight to never happen?

At the time Overeem was in pride he wasnt as good as he is now. He lost to Werdum,he was gunshy against guys who could take him down.

Sorry missed out the "un" from "likely", I see Overeem having very little chance vs someone with Fedor's power then and indeed even latter on as he became uber and Fedor declined I don't think it was a good style matchup for him.

Vovchanchyn would have wrecked Wandy.
He hits harder than anyone I've ever seen outside of maybe Carwin or Rumble.
Igor had dynamite in his fists! I wonder if the match makers saw this fight as too much of a risk being that one of the fighters would get seriously hurt or stock would drop? I honestly believe it would have been a legendary fight.

After posting in another thread about Wandy being the MW/LHW goat behind Anderson, it triggered a match up that never happened but would have truly been a war. My vote for best PRIDE fight to never happen is none other than Wanderlei Silva vs Igor Vovchanchyn. Would have been an absolute war with someone walking away with their head decapitated.

Who would have won this match in your opinion??

Igor vs. Wandy I gotta give this to Igor. Although really could go either way because Wandy has that brutality that was all but unstoppable in Pride.

The real best fight that never happened though was Sakuraba vs. Rickson.

Next is Fedor vs. Barnett.

Vovchanchyn would have wrecked Wandy.
He hits harder than anyone I've ever seen outside of maybe Carwin or Rumble.

Remember that Sakuraba was able to last 15 minutes with Igor. While sure the style made teh fight different and Igor vs. Wand would probably be more of a slug fest, just saying that it's not guaranteed Igor would KO Wandy.

Remember that Sakuraba was able to last 15 minutes with Igor. While sure the style made teh fight different and Igor vs. Wand would probably be more of a slug fest, just saying that it's not guaranteed Igor would KO Wandy.

His kryptonite was good grapplers (see also Igor vs Sperry). Wand is not one of those.
For people who'd like to see Igor destroy someone, or those of us who lack empathy, check out Inoue vs Igor.

"Inoue was unable to stand and only made it back to his corner with the help of his trainer. He collapsed on the floor in the corner, at which doctors began examining him. It was later learned that Inoue suffered brain swelling, a broken jaw, a burst eardrum and a concussion."

Inoue is a god among men for absorbing that much damage without dying.

His kryptonite was good grapplers (see also Igor vs Sperry). Wand is not one of those.
For people who'd like to see Igor destroy someone, or those of us who lack empathy, check out Inoue vs Igor.

"Inoue was unable to stand and only made it back to his corner with the help of his trainer. He collapsed on the floor in the corner, at which doctors began examining him. It was later learned that Inoue suffered brain swelling, a broken jaw, a burst eardrum and a concussion."

Inoue is a god among men for absorbing that much damage without dying.
I watched that fight literally thinking Enson was going to die. I've never seen a fighter closer to death than that.

I watched that fight literally thinking Enson was going to die. I've never seen a fighter closer to death than that.
Enson's thoughts on the fight made me a huge fan of his.

Aoki vs gomi in the last few prides, would have been super interesting and possible passing of the torch to the new best lw in the world

Honestly for me Igor was more of a brawler than Wanderlei dispite the latters rep, Silva might not have had tons of tools but during his prime years he was able to pick his openings more successfully IMHO and perhaps more importantly I think he was the better finisher. For Igor to finish he would probably need to KO Wanderlei but I can see Wanderlei rocking Igor and then TKOing him.

Back