Greatest mma fight of all time?

I couldn't pick one of the top of my head without some rewatches (like Cro Cop/Fedor, some Sakuraba fights, etc) but I'll throw the Iceman vs the Axe Murderer out there.

Whenever this question is asked my brain can't help but remember just how crazy of a round Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg 2 was. That fight pops up in my brain along with Fedor vs Cro Cop.

I'm going to add KZ vs Poirer to my list. Kind of crazy I left it off considering I was at that fight. It was kind of funny because the fight was great and after the 3rd round a lot of the crowd started leaving not realizing it was a 5 round fight.

Hunt-Silva was fucking nuts..

ended in a draw, though I had Hunt as slight edge.

One of those fights where the outcome didn't even really matter. It was just spactacular to watch. Slow start, but damn it gets good!

Some other good ones that were more one-sided,

Jones-Shogun. One of the best fights where a dominant champion first claims the belt. Other one that comes to mind as similar is Silva-Franklin.

Bj Penn-Deigo Sanchez. Just an utter bloody beat down where BJ outclassed Diego in every aspect of the game at his pace, any way he wanted to. JUST BLEED fans dream fight.

Aldo-Faber. Unreal fight. Showed the world just how tough Aldo is.

And for best overall card, WEC 51 was the single, greatest most entertaining MMA event I've ever seen. Perfect from start to finish.. Highly recommended to re-watch if you're bored!

Edgar/Maynard II is probably my favorite. Don't know if it's also the greatest but I'll be damned if it doesn't qualify. Imo a fight has to quantify everything that's good about MMA and I can't really think of a better example. There was an insane first round, and even crazier second round, grappling, striking, two extremely talented fighters and showcased the heart of a man that would not accept defeat no matter what happened to him.

My answer is always the same, persuaded perhaps by emotion: Edgar/Maynard III.

Crocop vs Fedor was the biggest, but I don't think it was as compelling, or that it was the clear #1 vs the clear #2 at the time. Not Fdor's fault, but he didn't really have anyone when he was at his best, at least after he dispatched Nog, who has flaws equal and opposite to Crocop. It wouldn't have been interesting to me to see Fedor fight Arlovski/Sylvia/Mir or Barnett in those days, either. I mean, I'd have been interested, but it wasn't ever going to be two Gods fighting in my eyes, in Fedor's reign

I liked Lesnar/Velasquez in terms of 'who's the toughest guy on the planet', and it finally ended the Lesnar myth. It also broke him as a fighter, fortunately and unfortunately (hate the man, love the game he brought)

Rampage/Silva 2 was likely the greatest LHW fight of all time at the time, and it lived up to expectations, and then some. They both seemed capable of being HW champs, too.

The lighter weight classes don't hold the same appeal for me, and there hasn't been something as epic as those, in my mind.

But the very greatest fight - in terms of drama, meaning and the abilities of the fighters was Gus v Jones. Jones looks able to be HW champ, and is the greatest LHW. Gus beat him up all over the place, stuffed takedowns, etc. Jones responded with incredible heart and determination, to which Gus showed the same in surviving once hurt. The 5th round was two dead men walking.

It remains to be seen just how great Gusto will become, or if he is just Vernon Forrest to JJ's Shane Mosley - but, if he can beat Johnson and Jones, and defend once, then a third match with Jones would be vs the two greatest LHW's of all time. After which, I would hope they'd try their hands at HW.

Fedor is the clear number 1 of all time

I dont know about the best but some of my favorites.

Shogun Vs Henderson 1

Shogun Vs Noguira

Nick Diaz Vs Taknori Gomi

Melendez Vs Pettis 1

Rampage/Wand is underrated, people remember it as a one sided fight. Rampage does pretty well and puts up a good fight until Wand wrecks his shit.

Two big, powerful, charismatic, great fighters, probably fully of PEDs.

Back