Greatest mma fight of all time?

Fedor vs CroCop, because of the build up, two wrecking machines at their absolute best fighting for the most badass fighter in the world title ( HW ) , in the context of the PRIDE 2005 GP...
Also the fight delivered.. On the opposite to most anticipated fights who fail to..

Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama.
Horrible MMA but unbelievable, almost cartoon like fight.:icon_chee

Hughes/Trigg 2
Henderson/Shogun 1
Forrest/Bonnar 1
Nog/ Shogun
Edgar/Maynard 3

Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama.
Horrible MMA but unbelievable, almost cartoon like fight.:icon_chee

Certainly the most hilarious one by a distance! Always gets me laughing out loud.

Crocop vs Fedor was the biggest, but I don't think it was as compelling, or that it was the clear #1 vs the clear #2 at the time. Not Fdor's fault, but he didn't really have anyone when he was at his best, at least after he dispatched Nog, who has flaws equal and opposite to Crocop. It wouldn't have been interesting to me to see Fedor fight Arlovski/Sylvia/Mir or Barnett in those days, either. I mean, I'd have been interested, but it wasn't ever going to be two Gods fighting in my eyes, in Fedor's reign

I liked Lesnar/Velasquez in terms of 'who's the toughest guy on the planet', and it finally ended the Lesnar myth. It also broke him as a fighter, fortunately and unfortunately (hate the man, love the game he brought)

Rampage/Silva 2 was likely the greatest LHW fight of all time at the time, and it lived up to expectations, and then some. They both seemed capable of being HW champs, too.

The lighter weight classes don't hold the same appeal for me, and there hasn't been something as epic as those, in my mind.

But the very greatest fight - in terms of drama, meaning and the abilities of the fighters was Gus v Jones. Jones looks able to be HW champ, and is the greatest LHW. Gus beat him up all over the place, stuffed takedowns, etc. Jones responded with incredible heart and determination, to which Gus showed the same in surviving once hurt. The 5th round was two dead men walking.

It remains to be seen just how great Gusto will become, or if he is just Vernon Forrest to JJ's Shane Mosley - but, if he can beat Johnson and Jones, and defend once, then a third match with Jones would be vs the two greatest LHW's of all time. After which, I would hope they'd try their hands at HW.

Me personally, I love Machida-Shogun I. It was so technical, both guys fought masterfully, it was stylistically an excellent match up between a karate master and muay thai master.

I was so happy when Shogun won the rematch but I little let down that it ended so early.

Nailed it

Aldo vs Mendes II. UFC

Wand vs Rampage II. Pride

Ya, Aldo-Mendes 2 is probably the best smaller weight fight.

I'd give a shout out to the Velasques-JDS trilogy, but its been so one-sided, regardless of who won... and JDS looks shittier all the time.

I'll be interested in seeing how Velasquez Werdum plays out. Werdum doesn't get the respect he deserves, but he's had a weird career - he's never been that OBVIOUS super-talent.... but he's diligently worked to improve his game, and keeps getting solid wins. I actually see him as Nogueira without the beatings IF he had improved his standup and pace tremendously.

No one will see it my way going in, but if Werdum gives Cain an epic go, win or lose, I'd consider it two of the very best ever going at it.

You could pick on of the Edgar Maynard fights and not be wrong. Silva Sonnen 1. Shogun Henderson. Jones Gus. Lesnar Mir 2

My personal favorite one is probably Wand vs Brian Stann. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, and felt like I won the lottery after Wand got the KO win.

If Hendo/Shogun 1 had ended after the 3rd round it would be hands down the best fight ever, but I think Fedor/Cro cop was the best

Back