Greatest Kickboxer of All Time

Adnan Adil

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Who do you consider for the greatest kickboxer in the history of the sport?
I personally believe this is Semmy Schilt. The guys was unique, he was some guy without equivalent. For instance in K1 there were other giants- Hong-Man Choi, Mothana Silva, Jan Nortje and others, too, but none of them was so agile like Schilt. No other giant was with such a good technique- he had good boxing, various kicks, some of them not in the arsenal even of smaller guys, he was master of the knees (some even say that K1 restricted the clinching because of him). Schilt's endurance was great. He was able to keep his opponents at bay with his stragith punches and to kick them from distance, while they were desperately trying to reach him. Many times his opponents were more tired than him. His chin was good, he has never been knocked out cold and also his pain tolerance was good, too- he might eat some bad body shots or leg kicks and this wasn't big deal for him. He definitely had a heart of a warrior. He wasn't prone to cuts. He had very good power in his strikes.
I think that his humble behavior in and out of the ring was his weakest part. He wasn't fan favorite and probably that is why he wasn't favorite of the judges, too... and in some cases of the referees even- in their first fight with Aerts he was decorated with two yellow cards for clinching, while Peter was locking his hands behind Semmy's back.
I think that Semmy Schilt could be declared for best striker, not just kickboxer, because he had very good background with styles which incorporate grappling, too and also he was in MMA before enetering with full force in K1. We can only imagine, if he was pure kickboxer what would have been his record. :)

Ernesto Hoost and Peter Aerts

I was split on it but this changed my mind

No doubts, Big Sem is the goat

No comment about this... :)

Ernesto Hoost and Peter Aerts

Hoost and Aerts definitely are one of the best, too, but honestly I don't think that they did good against him in their meetings. They are in K1 from their twenties, Schilt entered much later, but still tied Ernesto's record with 4 titles and Peter's record for 3 consecutive titles.

Tired thread topic but here's my consistent answer. Most dominant is Schilt, GOAT is Aerts.

Alistair Overeem

Alistair is good, but we didn't see him against prime K1 fighters from high caliber except Badr Hari. For Schilt he is easy, because he is a devastating slugger, he is not fast moving. He is just marching forward and tries to take as less damages as he can before delivering some brutal haymakers or getting the clinch and destroying his opponent with knees.

Tired thread topic but here's my consistent answer. Most dominant is Schilt, GOAT is Aerts.

Peter Aerts was one of the best for sure. Every time I have watched him was a pleasure, but honestly I am not sure that he is better than Schilt.

P4P he is great fore sure, but in open weight fight...

Nai Kanomthom

The same as above. :)

Last edited:
But let me add that Andy Souwer and Georgiao Petrosyan were doing pretty good against him.

This is true. I sensed some bad-blood in the Petrosyan fight. They both had fallen on the floor and when Buakaw was getting up , Petrosayn kicked him off of him.

What' was that about?, he seemed like a bad sport

Peter Aerts was one of the besdt for sure. Every time I have watched him was a pleasure, but honestly I am not sure that he is better than Schilt.
Maybe not better, although he did beat him three times (3-2), but arguably greater. For me GOAT shouldn't just be a matter of record. Aerts was in K-1 throughout its entire existence. Fought in the first WGP and the last (real) WGP where he beat Semmy and made it to the finals. Then you got a library of highlight reel headkick KO's and legendary fights, and I think you can also factor in his look and personality. When you think K-1 WGP Aerts should be the first image to pop in your head. He was there in every era.

Semmy as #1 isn't a bad take though, I get it. I just think people have narrow views on what GOAT should mean.

blogger-image--1522585052.jpg

one of these badboys

This is true. I sensed some bad-blood in the Petrosyan fight. They both had fallen on the floor and when Buakaw was getting up , Petrosayn kicked him off of him.

What' was that about?, he seemed like a bad sport

Yep, I think Buakaw is taking the things too personal.

Maybe not better, although he did beat him three times (3-2), but arguably greater. For me GOAT shouldn't just be a matter of record. Aerts was in K-1 throughout its entire existence. Fought in the first WGP and the last (real) WGP where he beat Semmy and made it to the finals. Then you got a library of highlight reel headkick KO's and legendary fights, and I think you can also factor in his look and personality. When you think K-1 WGP Aerts should be the first image to pop in your head. He was there in every era.

Semmy as #1 isn't a bad take though, I get it. I just think people have narrow views on what GOAT should mean.

Semmy was making every of his wins to seem so easy. He definitely was one of the major fighters in his entire career in K1. I think he was a favorite in all of his fights after his first title. His problem were the judges. Just imagine if he had their support.

blogger-image--1522585052.jpg

one of these badboys

Watch out, we have a baddasses here! :)

You can always use the search bar instead of recycling the same topic that has been posted here countless times. If you don't want to use the search bar, you can go on Google and type in site:forums.sherdog.com and then follow it up with your query. I prefer the latter for searching.

Back