Greatest Baseball Player of All Time?

It just frustrates me so much to have seen some of the greatest regular season performances and amazing post-season ones for the Mariners to just shit the bed like the next series after.
Yeah, that core of Jr., Unit, Edgar, Buhner and young ARod should have done more in all honesty.

That 2001 team just ran into the last year of a dynasty team built for the playoffs and who added weapons with absolutely no thought of cost. Granted that's kind of what happened to the late 90's teams, but no idea how they didn't mount a more serious challenge while they had that core.

Mike GOAT and SoGay GOATani will be in the discussion when it’s all said and done.

I can make an argument for Robinson in the top 25, especially if you credit him with being a great player before the age of 28, which he was. Statistically he's one of the most underrated defensive 2nd basemen ever. Even though he started to slow after only a few years in the majors, he still got to more balls than anyone at 2nd or 1st (after the move). He was instinctual in setting himself up, kind of like Cal Ripken (who couldn't actually range far, but somehow knew where people were going to hit the ball). He completely changed the game, reintroducing base stealing as a real thing that can impact games (his SB numbers look lulzy these days, but the Major Leagues were doing almost zero running by the time he showed up). His lifetime OBP of .409 is impressive in any era. And he did it all with a giant bullseye on his back, while finishing in the MVP voting all but 2 years late in his NL career and winning one.
all you said is true, but i still cant put him in the top 25, especially considering he only played 10 years. of course there are a lot of factors that caused him to achieve less than he might have, but all you can do is judge him on what he did. Hall of Famer yes, but Nolan Ryan hall of fame level, not babe ruth and ted williams hall of fame level

I don't think the one year off cost Musial 500. The two years before that year of service he hit 12 and 13 HR. The two years following, he hit 16 and 19. Only reason to think he would have hit 25+ is that a lot of the pitchers were in military service that year. I don't think 500 matters much for Musial's greatness though. No one argues he was the best slugger of the 40's/50's, they argue he was the best hitter (personally, I'll take Williams in that argument, but whatever). I do think his total body of work is greater than Mantle's, but Mantle's domination of the 50's and early 60's is just incredible. Musial is more consistent, but Mantle's peaks are higher. I think it's one of the best arguments in baseball, personally.
you are probably right on the homers thing. i looked wrong and was thinking he was hitting more in that stretch. another 200 hits though were likely and that would have been more important to his legacy anyway. Musial is my favorite all time player along with lou whitaker (should be in the hof) and i am biased, but i do give him the edge over williams, mantle, etc. but there is a fine line that separates them all. his consistency was absurd, much like that of aaron. had mantle taken care of himself, he might have eclipsed them all though

all you said is true, but i still cant put him in the top 25, especially considering he only played 10 years. of course there are a lot of factors that caused him to achieve less than he might have, but all you can do is judge him on what he did. Hall of Famer yes, but Nolan Ryan hall of fame level, not babe ruth and ted williams hall of fame level
Well, I have a lesser opinion of Ryan than most so I have Robinson far higher than him, but agree Robinson isn't near Williams/Mays/Ruth. I find it impossible to hold the limited Major League service time against him though. He was a top player in the Negro leagues and was a clear Major League caliber player in '46 when they were forced to start the 'great experiment' in the minors. Mind you, those Negro leagues produced some of the best players in history in their death throes after integration. Mays, Banks, Aaron, Campanella, alone is an amazing list and there were plenty more. Robinson was an All-Star/MVP caliber player for a few years before getting to break the color line.

Last edited:
you are probably right on the homers thing. i looked wrong and was thinking he was hitting more in that stretch. another 200 hits though were likely and that would have been more important to his legacy anyway. Musial is my favorite all time player along with lou whitaker (should be in the hof) and i am biased, but i do give him the edge over williams, mantle, etc. but there is a fine line that separates them all. his consistency was absurd, much like that of aaron. had mantle taken care of himself, he might have eclipsed them all though
I'd have Whitaker in the HOF too. Kind of weird he got passed over. Old Timers will fix it I'm sure.

Don't know how to give Musial the edge over Williams as a hitter though. Williams loses 4+ seasons to war, all in his prime, and still has more power, higher average, way higher OBP, higher SLG. He did have a better hitter's park, but he was a lefty in a righty's park. Musial has an extra MVP, but that's only because Williams got the shaft because he was a dick, his team constantly got spanked in the standings and sportswriters latched on to any reason to give Dimaggio MVP over him. Plus one of Musial's MVPs comes during the war. This is why Mantle/Musial start my second tier and Williams is in the first imo.

I'm glad someone makes the argument for Musial though. He's so forgotten compared to his greatness, it's ridiculous. I can only imagine what it would have done for his legacy to play in the Northeast. As it stands, it's like pulling teeth to convince some people he was better than Dimaggio, which is absurd. There isn't much of a comparison there. Dimaggio was a better fielder than Musial and especially Williams, but that's the beginning and end of his advantages that don't come from playing for the Yankees.

Well, I have a lesser opinion of Ryan than most so I have Robinson far higher than him, but agree Robinson isn't near Williams/Mays/Ruth. I find it impossible to hold the limited Major League service time against him though. He was a top player in the Negro leagues and was a clear Major League caliber player in '46 when they were forced to start the 'great experiment' in the minors. Mind you, those Negro leagues produced some of the best players in history in their death throes after integration. Mays, Banks, Aaron, Campanella, alone is an amazing list and there were plenty more. Robinson was an All-Star/MVP caliber player for a few years before getting to break the color line.
you cant hold it against him, but you also cant give him credit for what he didnt do in the majors. however, as you said, he certainly had the capability of playing in the league long before he got there. it really does suck all those negro league players didnt get a chance to show their stuff in the majors at all or for much of their prime. how good was satchell paige? certainly great, but but how great? cool papa bell, josh gibson, etc. would have been interesting to see. of course they are still legends but its impossible to compare given the different conditions, poor record keeping, etc.

I'd have Whitaker in the HOF too. Kind of weird he got passed over. Old Timers will fix it I'm sure.

Don't know how to give Musial the edge over Williams as a hitter though. Williams loses 4+ seasons to war, all in his prime, and still has more power, higher average, way higher OBP, higher SLG. He did have a better hitter's park, but he was a lefty in a righty's park. Musial has an extra MVP, but that's only because Williams got the shaft because he was a dick, his team constantly got spanked in the standings and sportswriters latched on to any reason to give Dimaggio MVP over him. Plus one of Musial's MVPs comes during the war. This is why Mantle/Musial start my second tier and Williams is in the first imo.

I'm glad someone makes the argument for Musial though. He's so forgotten compared to his greatness, it's ridiculous. I can only imagine what it would have done for his legacy to play in the Northeast. As it stands, it's like pulling teeth to convince some people he was better than Dimaggio, which is absurd. There isn't much of a comparison there. Dimaggio was a better fielder than Musial and especially Williams, but that's the beginning and end of his advantages that don't come from playing for the Yankees.
It was especially absurd that whitaker was only on the ballot one year. but i think all of the modern era tigers kind of get the shaft when it comes to the voters. he and trammell really should have gone in together. as times changed, lou's numbers seemed less impressive compared to modern second basemen, but in his day he was as good as anyone at the position. it is pretty easy to say that if sandberg got in so easily, whitaker should be in too. his numbers are pretty comparable.

yankees always get extra bonus points for wearing pinstripes. Dimaggio was obviously great, but he was so loved it elevated him in peoples eyes much higher that he likely deserved. I wouldnt really argue that williams wasn't greater than musial as many make a claim he was best ever. However, he had a higher war, more total bases, more doubles and triples and his highest ko in a season was just 46 which is absurd. Williams had the advantage of being on the east coast and was much more in the public eye than the quiet, humble musial.

i guess i might lean williams as the better hitter, and musial as the better player. but it is really splitting hairs

you cant hold it against him, but you also cant give him credit for what he didnt do in the majors. however, as you said, he certainly had the capability of playing in the league long before he got there. it really does suck all those negro league players didnt get a chance to show their stuff in the majors at all or for much of their prime. how good was satchell paige? certainly great, but but how great? cool papa bell, josh gibson, etc. would have been interesting to see. of course they are still legends but its impossible to compare given the different conditions, poor record keeping, etc.
I stumbled across a Bill James article a few months ago where he was putting together a HOF of 5 players to best represent the history of baseball. He was making up the criteria for it (one being that he wanted to cover as many years as possible in the 5 players), it's hardly his most 'scientific' article, but it was really cool. His final 5:

Honus Wagner
Babe Ruth
Satchel Paige
Willie Mays
Barry Bonds

Paige, he pointed out, was called the 'best pitcher I ever saw' by the likes of Williams, Dimaggio, Feller, Dean and others. On top of that, if you just look at his first couple seasons in the Majors, he put up two of the best seasons (even coming mostly out of the bullpen at ages 45 and 46) ever by a pitcher over age 42. And this was after ridiculous wear and tear, injuries and the loss of his fastball. In terms of value, they were better than Clemens (at ages 43-44) or Wilhelm and Neikro (45-46), without relying on a knuckleball. They were significantly better than what other famous old pitchers like Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Cy Young, Gaylord Perry and Jim Kaat were doing at that age. I have no problem putting Satchel in the top 5 pitchers all-time, without a real statistical record, and I can't make a truly passionate argument against people who put him #1. I don't put him there (because it's basically impossible to analyze properly), but what's the argument against him other than 'he didn't get a chance to prove it for sure'?

I stumbled across a Bill James article a few months ago where he was putting together a HOF of 5 players to best represent the history of baseball. He was making up the criteria for it (one being that he wanted to cover as many years as possible in the 5 players), it's hardly his most 'scientific' article, but it was really cool. His final 5:

Honus Wagner
Babe Ruth
Satchel Paige
Willie Mays
Barry Bonds

Paige, he pointed out, was called the 'best pitcher I ever saw' by the likes of Williams, Dimaggio, Feller, Dean and others. On top of that, if you just look at his first couple seasons in the Majors, he put up two of the best seasons (even coming mostly out of the bullpen at ages 45 and 46) ever by a pitcher over age 42. And this was after ridiculous wear and tear, injuries and the loss of his fastball. In terms of value, they were better than Clemens (at ages 43-44) or Wilhelm and Neikro (45-46), without relying on a knuckleball. They were significantly better than what other famous old pitchers like Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Cy Young, Gaylord Perry and Jim Kaat were doing at that age. I have no problem putting Satchel in the top 5 pitchers all-time, without a real statistical record, and I can't make a truly passionate argument against people who put him #1. I don't put him there (because it's basically impossible to analyze properly), but what's the argument against him other than 'he didn't get a chance to prove it for sure'?
i dont think you can compare his major league stats to those of a slightly younger clemens at the end of his career. the numbers were fine, but nothing special except for the age he did it at. but you are right, he could have been the greatest of all time. and i am sure he was worn out playing in the negro leagues and barnstorming all over. there really is no way to determine and even if those players said that, it doesnt make it so (or not so). you would need more than the limited sample size those guys likely saw to give a fair assessment. Feller actually saw him quite a bit on their barnstorming tour, but got the better of it more times than not. of course it is hard to determine if they were facing equal level hitters. its likely the batters faced by Paige were overall better than those faced by Feller, however.

It was especially absurd that whitaker was only on the ballot one year. but i think all of the modern era tigers kind of get the shaft when it comes to the voters. he and trammell really should have gone in together. as times changed, lou's numbers seemed less impressive compared to modern second basemen, but in his day he was as good as anyone at the position. it is pretty easy to say that if sandberg got in so easily, whitaker should be in too. his numbers are pretty comparable.

yankees always get extra bonus points for wearing pinstripes. Dimaggio was obviously great, but he was so loved it elevated him in peoples eyes much higher that he likely deserved. I wouldnt really argue that williams wasn't greater than musial as many make a claim he was best ever. However, he had a higher war, more total bases, more doubles and triples and his highest ko in a season was just 46 which is absurd. Williams had the advantage of being on the east coast and was much more in the public eye than the quiet, humble musial.

i guess i might lean williams as the better hitter, and musial as the better player. but it is really splitting hairs
Yup, 80's were the last era of the Punch and Judy hitters in the middle infield and he wasn't that. Whitaker belongs in.

Joe Morgan is, in my opinion, the best 2nd baseman ever (fuck Hornsby and Collins, lol). Granted Morgan started his career in a severe pitchers era, but Whitaker's numbers hold up against his fairly decently, except for the peaks. Plus he's part of an iconic DP combo, won a WS, no good explanation for his rejection.

Dimaggio was one of those few players who truly became bigger than the game. I hope people understand that when I call him 'overrated' I only mean that because he was the 3rd best player of his era and is a top 15 player all-time, but not top tier like many older Yankee fans like to put him.

i dont think you can compare his major league stats to those of a slightly younger clemens at the end of his career. the numbers were fine, but nothing special except for the age he did it at. but you are right, he could have been the greatest of all time. and i am sure he was worn out playing in the negro leagues and barnstorming all over. there really is no way to determine and even if those players said that, it doesnt make it so (or not so). you would need more than the limited sample size those guys likely saw to give a fair assessment. Feller actually saw him quite a bit on their barnstorming tour, but got the better of it more times than not. of course it is hard to determine if they were facing equal level hitters. its likely the batters faced by Paige were overall better than those faced by Feller, however.
Well the point of the exercise James was engaging in was projecting backwards. Like how we looked at Trout and compare him to the other guys who got off to monster starts. In this case, James was simply pointing out, if you do this backwards, you have a guy with the best pitching performances at that age ever. The other guys who had great years at that age were all HOFers or close to it, and yet Paige's performance at that age are better. It obviously proves nothing, was just a cool use of what little data does actually exist. His argument for Paige on that list of 5 (besides trying to convey how great Satchel really was by account of everyone who ever saw him) was also about him marking the times well, being a colorful character and fitting that gap of years well.

Best anecdote from the article was him retelling a story about how, in the minors, Dimaggio got an infield single off Paige's glove. "The Yankees scout sent an enthusiastic telegraph to the Bronx saying: 'DiMaggio everything we’d hoped he’d be. Hit Satch one for four.'"

Yup, 80's were the last era of the Punch and Judy hitters in the middle infield and he wasn't that. Whitaker belongs in.

Joe Morgan is, in my opinion, the best 2nd baseman ever (fuck Hornsby and Collins, lol). Granted Morgan started his career in a severe pitchers era, but Whitaker's numbers hold up against his fairly decently, except for the peaks. Plus he's part of an iconic DP combo, won a WS, no good explanation for his rejection.

Dimaggio was one of those few players who truly became bigger than the game. I hope people understand that when I call him 'overrated' I only mean that because he was the 3rd best player of his era and is a top 15 player all-time, but not top tier like many older Yankee fans like to put him.
i grew up in detroit and it seemed like whenever i was watching, whitaker was killing it. had he only played when i watched he might be the GOAT. And yes, he a trammell are iconic there and he won gold gloves, stole bases, had good power, ROY, etc. certainly more deserving than the likes of mazeroski, foxx and ironically, johnny evers who got in ONLY because he was part of a famous dp combo.

i dont think i can put morgan over hornsby. less homers, almost 100 point lower avg., less hits, etc. but again, comparing eras is so hard to do. i think gehringer is a little underrated too, but maybe my tiger bias is showing.

completely agree on dimaggio. he had everything you wanted in a player, but he is overrated in the sense that people want to elevate him more than his already lofty status. it doesnt mean he wasnt incredible. marrying marilyn monroe just made him a star among stars

i grew up in detroit and it seemed like whenever i was watching, whitaker was killing it. had he only played when i watched he might be the GOAT. And yes, he a trammell are iconic there and he won gold gloves, stole bases, had good power, ROY, etc. certainly more deserving than the likes of mazeroski, foxx and ironically, johnny evers who got in ONLY because he was part of a famous dp combo.

i dont think i can put morgan over hornsby. less homers, almost 100 point lower avg., less hits, etc. but again, comparing eras is so hard to do. i think gehringer is a little underrated too, but maybe my tiger bias is showing.

completely agree on dimaggio. he had everything you wanted in a player, but he is overrated in the sense that people want to elevate him more than his already lofty status. it doesnt mean he wasnt incredible. marrying marilyn monroe just made him a star among stars
The Hornsby/Morgan debate is so difficult. Raw numbers, there is no comparison. Morgan's case is all about every 'adjustment' going in his favor. Morgan was a phenomenal defensive 2B, Hornsby was a lousy one. Morgan played in a pitcher's park in an extreme pitcher's era, where Hornsby plays in the best offensive era ever (at least the years he put up the monster numbers). Morgan was a great base stealer/runner, Hornsby (even in the deadball era, when running was expected) was a slug on the base path. Morgan has longevity on him as well. I'm fine with people who put Hornsby and Collins at the top of the list, I just choose Morgan because I choose Morgan. Lol.

Gehringer was great, but I don't think he cracks that top 3. I'd have him among Alomar, Biggio, Lajoie, Carew, Cano, Sandberg, Pedroia and Kent (no order to this, just the names I can think of off the top of my head, probably missed someone). Not sure where Robinson goes, given he only played 2nd a few years in the majors and the same issues as before with him not getting to play in the majors until 28, but he's in there too. Oh Whitaker probably the next name after all those at 2B, imo.

Last edited:
The Hornsby/Morgan debate is so difficult. Raw numbers, there is no comparison. Morgan's case is all about every 'adjustment' going in his favor. Morgan was a phenomenal defensive 2B, Hornsby was a lousy one. Morgan played in a pitcher's park in an extreme pitcher's era, where Hornsby plays in the best offensive era ever (at least the years he put up the monster numbers). Morgan was a great base stealer/runner, Hornsby (even in the deadball era, when running was expected) was a slug on the base path. Morgan has longevity on him as well. I'm fine with people who put Hornsby and Collins at the top of the list, I just choose Morgan because I choose Morgan. Lol.

Gehringer was great, but I don't think he cracks that top 3. I'd have him among Alomar, Biggio, Lajoie, Carew, Cano, Sandberg, Pedroia and Kent. Not sure where Robinson goes, given he only played 2nd a few years in the majors and the same issues as before with him not getting to play in the majors until 28, but he's in there too. Oh Whitaker probably the next name after all those at 2B, imo.
hornsby wasnt too bad on the basepaths in the deadball area. certainly no Morgan, but he was usually in the teens in sb's. morgan definitely played in a shitty hitters park, no doubt. but even in the era he played in, hornsby's numbers were ridiculous. his HR numbers were about 40% of the teams home run total in many years, so you cant just say it was all that era.

i think gehringer is probably right around #5. you just never, ever hear his name mentioned by anyone other than real history nerds. carew is another one hard to rank as a 2b as he played less than 10 years there. i think pedroia doesnt belong on the list at all. he had a few really good years, but it looks like those are well behind him.

It’s Barry Bonds , 500/500 before the alleged steroids with 8 gold gloves seals it for me.
I hate it when he gets discredited for “roids”during his HR record season. Umps were giving him such plate presence the only place you could get a strike was down and in right inside Barry’s power alley, guys like Pujols could’ve smacked a lot of HRs too if all the got was belt high fastballs

hornsby wasnt too bad on the basepaths in the deadball area. certainly no Morgan, but he was usually in the teens in sb's. morgan definitely played in a shitty hitters park, no doubt. but even in the era he played in, hornsby's numbers were ridiculous. his HR numbers were about 40% of the teams home run total in many years, so you cant just say it was all that era.

i think gehringer is probably right around #5. you just never, ever hear his name mentioned by anyone other than real history nerds. carew is another one hard to rank as a 2b as he played less than 10 years there. i think pedroia doesnt belong on the list at all. he had a few really good years, but it looks like those are well behind him.
Hornsby stole a few bases, because it was the style of play at the time (amazing how quickly SB's died between the dead ball era and Robinson showing up). They didn't keep caught stealing numbers (or at least the records to go back and count them) until the live ball era, but you'll see, his percentages are atrocious. I think it's highly unlikely that wasn't true before they kept track. Otherwise, you're absolutely correct that I can't just say 'era'. Hornsby was a godly hitter. But Morgan's OBP, given his era is absolutely competitive, even if it falls a little short of Hornsby's hitting. Hornsby clearly has power though. Defense and base running is where he makes up that gap imo. Plus Morgan was a team leader of a great dynasty and Hornsby was an ass, but I don't actually count that (just think it bears mentioning at some point in this discussion).

Yeah, Gehringer is a good one.

Agreed on Carew, but a lot of people rank him there and I think he did play his most innings at 2nd as opposed to 1st or LF or DH. Most of his best years (except his MVP year) are at 2nd. He's a lot further down the All-Time 1st basemen's argument, which is probably why people like to rank him at 2nd.

Pedroia had a few really good years and two outstanding ones. And in 2016, he hit .316/.376/.449 with over 100 runs scored and 200 hits, so I think it's early to say his good years are well behind him. I'd put him near the end (possibly the end) of that list, but 2nd basemen that can hit historically are hard to find. He's an MVP who arguably had a better season later on than his MVP season, 4 Gold Gloves, a Silver Slugger, multiple time All-Star. I hate the Red Sox, but I think he's in there.

Canos a better 2b than Pedroia.

Chuck Knoblauch
Steve Sax
Rick Ankiel
John Rocker

Back