Great wrestlers who are/were surprisingly easy to takedown?

Looking at this objectively, I'd say Fitch's most impressive wrestling performances were against Burkman (decorated HS wrestler in a relatively week wrestling state), Brock Larson (decorated HS wrestler in a top 3 wrestling state), Mike pierce (2x NCAA DI All American), and though Thiago Alves wasn't a decorated wrestler, at the time of the 2nd Fitch fight he was completely dominated by Fitch in the wrestling dept. I find this extremely impressive bc this version of Thiago was training with some very good wrestlers and he was a huge, strong, WW whos entire style was suited to defeat wrestlers. I also think the Chris Wilson win was very impressive from a wrestling perspective. Im not sure of Wilson's wrestling credentials but he was a longtime Team Quest guy and Team Quest was know for producing top wrestlers.

Fitch also beat Shields.

The fight that really sticks out to me is the fight with Faijao Calvalcante. You had a guy who made the Olympic team getting pushed around by a roided up BJJ artist with no wrestling background.
True but Mo did take him down 2 or 3 times. But I agree, Feijao did do well in the clinch but that shouldn't be a surprise. Faijao was a huge LHW, BJJ black belt, judo blackbelt, and Muay thai expert. Aside from the grappling and wrestling skills he gained from his Bjj and judo, many of these muay Thai guys are beasts in the clinch. And also just FYI Mo was never an Olympian. He was legit world class, and definitely Olympic level, but never made the Olympic team.

Gus taking down DC was a surprise to most but the dude has developed some really strong wrestling. A lot of these guys who aren't considered wrestlers or that have no significant competitive wrestling background pre-MMA have interesting stories wrestling-wise.

By the time Gustafsson had fought Jones and DC he had spent close to a decade training with some of the very best Greco roman guys in the world (Jimmy Lidberg, Mark Madsen, etc) and rounded that out with training with guys like Phil Davis.

GSP spent a similar amount of time training with Canada's best wrestlers. Some of these guys were Olympic medalists and/or world champs (Guiva Sissouri, David Zilberman, etc). GSP also spent a whole lot of time training with the University of Northern Colorado wrestling team.

Even Robert Whitaker. He comes out of nowhere and hangs with Yoel Romero in the wrestling game. Whitaker has made it his business to become a great wrestler. Australia has traditionally had week wrestling. But there are a few really good wrestlers there from Uzbekistan, Albania, Iran and they are all plugged into the MMA community. Whitaker has trained with all of them and even became the Australian national freestyle champ.

Great response !

Lot of Indian wrestlers in Australia too which I found a bit surprising

Great response !

Lot of Indian wrestlers in Australia too which I found a bit surprising
Yeah I noticed that too when I was looking for the results of recent national championships. Actually, correct me if Im wrong but I think Ali Abdo (and his brother Bilal), probably the best homegrown Aussie wrestler of all time might be of Indian descent.

DC has actually been easier to takedown than I would’ve thought. Gus and Rumble both got him down. And of course Jones did too.

All guys with long/tall frames. I'm 6 feet, but when you grapple/wrestle against a guy who is taller than you and knows how to use that leverage to his advantage...If you don't get inside you're working twice as hard to takedown or defend the takedown.

If you can't get your hips under his or can grab around both that guy's legs...You're going to have a bad fucking time.

Yeah I noticed that too when I was looking for the results of recent national championships. Actually, correct me if Im wrong but I think Ali Abdo (and his brother Bilal), probably the best homegrown Aussie wrestler of all time might be of Indian descent.

I thought they were Iranian but could be wrong. I know there is United Wrestling Club based in Melbourne which primarily consists of wrestlers of Indian or Pakistan descent. Sam Parker is another big coach probably the longest in Australia.

Thats not fair. Hes had bad knees and hasnt used his wrestling much at all in over 10 yrs. Before that he was very difficult to grapple with. See randleman fight.

Fair? It is factual. He is a great wrestler who is easy to takedown. The most glaring example in the entire thread. You are making excuses like you're his personal ballsack fluffer.

The fight that really sticks out to me is the fight with Faijao Calvalcante. You had a guy who made the Olympic team getting pushed around by a roided up BJJ artist with no wrestling background.
king mo was basically fighting with a non functioning knee LOL - that's why he lost. feijao was a beast back then too but mo's health was a big factor in that fight

Fair? It is factual. He is a great wrestler who is easy to takedown. The most glaring example in the entire thread. You are making excuses like you're his personal ballsack fluffer.
He was a great wrestler who wasnt easy to takedown. He lost ability over time.

He was a great wrestler who wasnt easy to takedown. He lost ability over time.

You just contradicted yourself in two sentences. He WAS easy to takedown. That is why he got wrestlefucked by so many people and cried about fighting wrestlers so much

You just contradicted yourself in two sentences. He WAS easy to takedown. That is why he got wrestlefucked by so many people and cried about fighting wrestlers so much
Yeah when his grapplin ability eroded. Randleman couldnt take him down,and that guy took almoat everybody down.

Yeah when his grapplin ability eroded. Randleman couldnt take him down,and that guy took almoat everybody down.

Thread Title -

Great wrestlers who are/were surprisingly easy to takedown?

I just love when one dude is trying to wrestle so hard and fails on ever TD and then his opponent takes him down on the first try. (for example Bermudez vs Filli)

Abel Trujillo - four-time NAIA All-American

Khabib took him down 21 times....in one fight.

The most useless stat ever reported in MMA. Khabib did not take him down 21 times, not even close. Standing rear return is not a takedown, period.

The most useless stat ever reported in MMA. Khabib did not take him down 21 times, not even close. Standing rear return is not a takedown, period.
On the other hand, MMA is not the NCAA or UWW, there are not clear cut criteria for what constitutes a takedown. Taken off your feet=taken down for better or worse. I think the fight metric guys are legit fight fans too, not "noobs" by any means.

Back