Great wrestlers who are/were surprisingly easy to takedown?

He had trouble with Kos too.

Not really.

Kos only got one take down in their first fight, and it was only because GSP more of less gave it to him. GSP drilled him early with a double, and eventually looked like he was going to change position for a sub, and Kos was able to hook one leg, and eventually get up and scora a take down while holding onto that leg for dear life. It seemed like GSP didn't really mind gambling for a position change because he was that confident he'd defend whatever Kos would try if Kos got his leg.

And their second fight was more or less a murder by GSP. He ragdolled the bejesus out of Kos several times and cracked his eyeball socket. It was even more lopsided than the initial bout.

Last edited:
This thread is about getting taken down though, not being kept down.

Great wrestling is not always about staying completely upright. Otherwise it wouldn't be wrestling.

Chaels defensive wrestling is nothing to write home about. I wouldn't say it's shit but it's far from great.
Yeah.. I feel like any one who faces Chael that is a stronger wrestler than him has an automatic sub or gnp win coming their way.

If it were a straight wrasslin match those TDs wouldnt land near as easy on those folks. Its a fist-fight.

But Yoel, he would give you a couple even in wrasslin. Its the Cuban way/tactic, they lull you in thinking you are winning, then no, they beat you in the end.

When you see him actually resist the takedown hes a marvel to behold.

Agreed about Shogun. His offensive wresting is actually really good. Defensively, he sucks.
Without his trips (chute boxe staple) he would have lost to lil nog and overeem the 2nd time. And a few other fights. Wanderlei used it to stay alive against hunt

As said in this thread, Yoel Romero despite his credentials gets taken down a lot. I'll actually attribute why this is to his good wrestling. He knows he can get right back up, so he throws caution in his TD defense to the wind in order to do his freaky shit.

Bermudez was taken down a shit ton by Fili, and I feel the reasoning was similar to Romero, but it screwed him in the end.

Ferguson I feel also falls into this category. He's very confident in his BJJ and scrambles, so he doesn't put as much focus into actively trying to defend take-downs, but instead in the stand-up.

It's usually the wrestlers who mainly use their wrestling as a deterrent so they may strike unabated while their opponent is hindered by the threat that they them-self pose.

This is why I think TD's where the opponent pops right back up without any sub attempts or GnP should not count for more than 1 significant strike. Dom's TD's against Dillashaw, Fili's TD's against Bermudez, etc.
The rare times people get chuck down mostly he immediatley pops up. Its like he doesnt ACCEPT being on the floor ahah

Not really.

Kos only got one take down in their first fight, and it was only because GSP more of less gave it to him. GSP drilled him early with a double, and eventually looked like he was going to change position for a sub, and Kos was able to hook one leg, and eventually get up and scora a take down while holding onto that leg for dear life. It seemed like GSP didn't really mind gambling for a position change because he was that confident he'd defend whatever Kos would try if Kos got his leg.

And their second fight was more or less a murder by GSP. He ragdolled the bejesus out of Kos several times and cracked his eyeball socket. It was even more lopsided than the initial bout.
I remember the pre fight interview with Koscheck laughing when GSP said he would take him down. So glad GSP kicked his ass.

Ya see a lot of that, but even more of the opposite. Great wrestlers who never go for takedowns but use their wrestling to keep it standing.

Yoel gets taken down but then just turns his back and pops right up.

I worry that Rockhold might be able to drag him down when he does that.

Rampage

a wrestler who constantly got wrestlefucked and complained about fighting wrestlers.

Gsp took down hughes right away in first fight. Nobody expected that,least of all hughes which is probably why he wasnt ready for it. Gsp had balls going for that.
Balls for days

Yeah.. I feel like any one who faces Chael that is a stronger wrestler than him has an automatic sub or gnp win coming their way.

Not necessarily a stronger wrestler credential wise, just mma wise. I'm sure it's way better on the mat but as we all know mma wrestling is a different story than strict ammy wrestling

Rampage

a wrestler who constantly got wrestlefucked and complained about fighting wrestlers.
Thats not fair. Hes had bad knees and hasnt used his wrestling much at all in over 10 yrs. Before that he was very difficult to grapple with. See randleman fight.

As said in this thread, Yoel Romero despite his credentials gets taken down a lot. I'll actually attribute why this is to his good wrestling. He knows he can get right back up, so he throws caution in his TD defense to the wind in order to do his freaky shit.

Bermudez was taken down a shit ton by Fili, and I feel the reasoning was similar to Romero, but it screwed him in the end.

Ferguson I feel also falls into this category. He's very confident in his BJJ and scrambles, so he doesn't put as much focus into actively trying to defend take-downs, but instead in the stand-up.

It's usually the wrestlers who mainly use their wrestling as a deterrent so they may strike unabated while their opponent is hindered by the threat that they them-self pose.

This is why I think TD's where the opponent pops right back up without any sub attempts or GnP should not count for more than 1 significant strike. Dom's TD's against Dillashaw, Fili's TD's against Bermudez, etc.

Good point at the end, however if that’s the only significant thing that happens in a fight, the guy who got a td should take it

Don’t tell me if one guy lands 10 sig strikes n the other 8 with a td, the guy with 10 should win the round?

Also seeing a non wrestler td a wrestler will be seeing as great accomplishment n will influence judges decision

Back