1. The Sherdog Forums are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we are working on it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Great story about Whittaker's pulling out of upcoming fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ippikiookami, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ippikiookami

ippikiookami Blue Belt

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ufc-fighter-ditches-huge-fight-165629906.html

Australian mixed martial arts fighter Robert Whittaker just pulled out of a March 7 fight. He doesn’t have a broken bone or a torn ligament that requires surgery, but he is still going under the knife because, when it comes down to it, he’s a father before he’s a fighter.

Whittaker’s nearly one-year-old daughter Lilliana is sick, and she needs a bone marrow donation. So he made the decision to donate his own, which means surgery and missing his scheduled middleweight fight with Jared Cannonier in Las Vegas.

Whittaker made the announcement with an Instagram post that featured himself and his daughter walking hand-in-hand away from the camera.

Dana White, the president of UFC, confirmed the reports and offered words of support.

“When you talk about somebody whose priorities are in the right place, who is completely selfless and down to the core a good human being, that’s Robert Whittaker,” he told Submission Radio, an Australian MMA talk show.

“The reason Robert Whittaker is not fighting in this fight is one of the most unselfish things I’ve seen in my life. He’s a good man, he’s a good human being, and I have a lot of respect for him. Good luck to him in what he’s dealing with right now.”

The fight would have been Whittaker’s first fight since losing the middleweight crown at UFC 243 in October. Here’s hoping that post-surgery he can go on the comeback trail with a happy and healthy daughter at home.

2. SolidxSnake

SolidxSnake The Solid One

Good on him. Wonder who will be the first piece of shit to talk badly about him though? Always one or two.

3. Regal Boy

Regal Boy Green Belt

He will never be able to fight after this

EDIT: Just did some research, I am wrong, he will be able to fight after this.

Bob Sapp likes this.
  4. Leoimba

Leoimba White Belt

that google search was fast af

5. Sijara Romero

Sijara Romero Yellow Card Yellow Card

Wow, a marrow transplant is fucken serious... He is lucky that he isn't as unlucky as Ray Borg though.

6. Nathan LaMontagne

Nathan LaMontagne Amateur Fighter

How anyone could dislike the man is beyond me.

7. Thanat0s24

Thanat0s24 Purple Belt

I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but literally most fathers in the world would do this for their daughters, it would be more of a shock if he fought anyway without offering his marrow to his daughter

8. davidlemonparty

davidlemonparty Brown Belt

there were a tonne of them in the other threads on this topic.
    Shit stains. same dribblers who have a crack about Borg and his son with his brain issue, or Walt and his murdered daughter.

DelanoRunnymede and Strijfy like this.
  9. SolidxSnake

SolidxSnake The Solid One

Just a lot of shitty people who are "fans" of the sport, unfortunately.

10. g*r*b

g*r*b Super-Stretch Elastic Waistband

Yeah, bone marrow is by its nature renewable. And depending on the kind of transplant he might not even have to be cut open. When my husband got a bone marrow transplant from his sister, it was a stem cell procedure so they just drew her blood.

11. Dorkman

Dorkman Red Belt

I think the point is everyone was bashing him for "dropping from yet another fight" before getting the facts. So this was brought to light so that everyone could pump their breaks to realize life is bigger than the fight game.

12. Strijfy

Strijfy Green Belt

unfortunately none of them got dubs either

13. Negator402

Negator402 Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Who doesn't like Whittaker, I just dont get it.

14. fourseven

fourseven White Belt

This is not true. Lily is perfectly healthy. The withdrawal has nothing to do with bone marrow donation.

[​IMG]

JAL likes this.
  15. SpaceGinger

SpaceGinger Green Belt

Yeah I saw this on Reddit. Crazy how rumours can spread so quickly. Rob should just come out and set the record straight. I understand it's his own personal business but I guess it's part of being a celeb.

16. cheesus

cheesus Silver Belt

That could literally be anyone. I doubt someone like Whitaker would fabricate a story like his daughter requiring a bone marrow transplant.

17. Warfist

Warfist Black Belt

This place is filled with shit stains...has been since day 1. Nobody cares what they think.

I wish Robert the best of luck and hope everything works out. As a father myself, I'm sure most of us would be doing the same thing. But that doesnt take away the fact that he's still a great human.

Best wishes to the Whittaker family.

kingjim likes this.
  18. fourseven

fourseven White Belt

Rob hasn't fabricated anything. This was a rumour started on Instagram that ended up on Reddit.

JAL likes this.
  19. The Schmoop

The Schmoop Red Belt

Yeah that’s awesome that he did that but as a parent it seems like that decision is a no brainer if you’re a donor match.

Oooxente likes this.
  20. dammage

dammage White Belt

doubtful dana would it, maybe thats why he reacted so strongly about it.