Great offense, poor defense

Bret Rogers broke Fedor's nose with the first jab.

You are still wrong putting Fedor on that list. You have to look his hole career and not just one fight. Replace him with Shogun or Wanderlei, for example. They have been dropped a lot through their hole careers, Fedor never.

Umm nope, thats not true. Brett landed like some good GNP but almost stopped.....come on now.....

I thought we were talking stand up as well? Rogers landed one good jab late in Fedor's career but other than that nothing else of note.

Fedor vs Crocop is I'd say one of the best displays of standup defence ever in MMA, people have this strange idea that Crocop was somehow vulnerable to getting chased down when the reality is most of his success actually about countering guys who tried to do that(Wanderlei 2, Herring, Aleks etc). Pushing forward vs Mirko ment going right into the left straight and bodykick killzone and Fedor dodged or blocked loads of them.

Andrei Arlovski. The guy's fall was because he simply would walk backwards when a guy came straight at him.

Frank Mir and Alistair Overeem are two quintessential glass cannons of MMA. Mir either shatters a bone/ligament within his first 2 or 3 submission attempts or he gets KO'd/held down and pounded out. Overeem's career is more or less a standup version of the same story.

When I clicked on this thread I was expecting to see fighters listed that can dish it out but can't absorb much before withering.

Overeem, Brock immediately come to mind in that regard. Perhaps no two fighters can output as much damage if they aren't getting hit back, but neither guy takes it well when they get their bell rung.

If you're talking about just poor defense as it relates to technical ability, you'd have to go with the "fun to watch" guys that like to swing. Houston Alexander, Drew McFedries, etc. Not trying to dog on those guys, but I bet there are some people on this forum that could catch those guys in submissions.

I would say JDS and Fedor have pretty good defense. It's not a traditional defense technique, but they move pretty well for their size to avoid a lot of damage. Fedor has only been caught once (Fujita) in like 10+ years.

These guys are nasty when they are the ones attacking, but they seem to get hit a lot.

Fedor was the least hit top 10 fighter in his era. That includes Anderson, GSP, and Lyoto for reference.

But sure, he got cut against Rogers. His defense is awful. Just like the other three guys I referenced who have all actually been knocked out while facing towards an opponent.

Andrei Arlovski. The guy's fall was because he simply would walk backwards when a guy came straight at him.

Depends a lot on the situation I'd say, poor defence when backed up against the cage, good defence when pushing forward and countering.

Frank Mir and Alistair Overeem are two quintessential glass cannons of MMA. Mir either shatters a bone/ligament within his first 2 or 3 submission attempts or he gets KO'd/held down and pounded out. Overeem's career is more or less a standup version of the same story.

I wouldn't say either has very bad defence though so much as when they do get hit they take punishment poorly, neither is actually easy to KO but both don't fight well when rocked.

Happened once, while he was clowning. The guys on my list get hit all the time when they are trying not to.

He wasn't trying to avoid getting hit? you look over the rest of his career and Anderson took quite a lot of shots against opponents who actually engaged him.

Weidman catching him shoulder rolling really did expose what I'd thought for awhile, that when Anderson does that kind of thing its often a preplanned sequence rather than a reaction to specific shots. Longo obviously saw this as well and coached Weidman to break his left/right combo pattern in order to catch Anderson moving the wrong way.

He definitely didn't have a poor defence but I think you can make a good case that his offence was better.

Condit.

He can destroy guys on the feet but it seems like he rarely blocks anything and leaves his chin wide open. Before the injury in the Woodley fight I thought it was just a matter of time before he paid for leaving himself so open. You can't rely on having a good chin forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back