Great fighters who started in Judo?

I would have guessed Fedor started in Sambo
His Russian wiki says he started "Sambo and Judo" at 10. I'm guessing that the kids' class was a mix of both since Sports Sambo is so similar.

oh yeah Im a noob, and happy to learn from vetz like ya...

Oh btw,your post is ridiculous tbh... saying that Filho had an "above average career"

View attachment 429259

Try to learn about the context of his career.
You do sound like the typical noob that you call yourself. Though I will simply label you a casual. Gonna have to pay, like every other student, if you want to learn from me. Ridiculous is an adult using "tbh", "ya", "btw", and "vetz". Next time, don't allow yourself to be triggered off truth. Or do you not grasp what "above average" means? Continue on..

Dan Kelly, while not exactly a great fighter got an UFC-record of 6-4 in so called modern age. Guy has represented Australia in the Olympics.

Watched an old Karo Parisyan fight. The arm throw he did in that fight was pretty incredible.

Got me thinking about many fighters that started in Judo.

I feel most start in wrestling or BJJ.

Are there any great fighters that started out in Judo?

cuz ufc is an american product.

if ufc was in rusia = judo/sambo/wrestling

You do sound like the typical noob that you call yourself. Though I will simply label you a casual. Gonna have to pay, like every other student, if you want to learn from me. Ridiculous is an adult using "tbh", "ya", "btw", and "vetz". Next time, don't allow yourself to be triggered off truth. Or do you not grasp what "above average" means? Continue on..
lmao... are you a teacher or something?

Read this thread, check the answers that I provided and compare them to your stupid post, then figure out who´s the noob btw the 2 of us...

loloool.png

If u had any clue about Filho, you wouldnt say something like he had an "average career"...You would say that he underachieved because of his rohypnol addiction... He was one of the top dogs @ Carlson´s, a dominant player in his division in the yrs b4 Pride´s demise.

He had such an "average career", that rumours had it that he was schooling Vitor Gracie on the ground in sparring @ Carlson´s... Such an "average career" that he cornered Vitor himself in his fight vs SAKU GOAT, at the ripe age of 21, and was more vocal than Carlson & Al Stanky in the corner...

As I said, you dont know about the context because you were not following this shit back then, but he was en route to win the 2006 PRIDE Welterweight Grand Prix, had already schooled Mizaki but had to withdraw coz of injury, and Mizaki came back and won over Kang.

His run in Pride was dominant, and had he won the Tournament, he would have been much higher in the P4P lists at that time.
Go watch his fights, go watch how he beat someone like Amar Suloev, then come back here.

When you dont know shit, dont try to "noob" the others, just:

shhh.jpg

Last edited:
So nobody mentioned Alistair Overeem?
Started out in Judo...

Another great great fighter:
Hayato 'Mach' Sakurai
image.jpg

Another great great fighter:
Hayato 'Mach' Sakurai
View attachment 429443

2NIN.gif

Amar Suloev had legit good throws, cant confirm if he indeed started judo 1st...
Wiki says kickboxing/wrestling...

But i would say he was actually a Sambo guy....i might be wrong.

Started out in Judo...
This explains Reem´s smooth transition to MMA, at the beginning of his career in Rings & 2 Hot 2 Handle:
he would quiclky look for the clinch to get the TD and work for a sub more than trying to keep it standing.

Wiki says kickboxing/wrestling...

But i would say he was actually a Sambo guy....i might be wrong.
for sure sambo, but watching his fights, I always thought his judo throws were too good..

Wow. You’re calling him out on using some acronyms and then you go ahead and misuse “triggered”. I’m not surprised though, most tools resort to using played out internet memes when they got nothing else.

for sure sambo, but watching his fights, I always thought his judo throws were too good..
Yep, he had some sick throws...his transition from the throw to full mount, against Baroni, was a thing of beauty

And that illegal knee he hit Phil with....speaks for Baroni's chin...guys have been hit with lesser powerful knees and were 'unable' to continue...

Watched an old Karo Parisyan fight. The arm throw he did in that fight was pretty incredible.

Got me thinking about many fighters that started in Judo.

I feel most start in wrestling or BJJ.

Are there any great fighters that started out in Judo?
vlcsnap-2018-12-22-05h43m15s691.png

Cub Swanson also has amazing throws, if I'm not mistaken he's a black belt in judo, don't really know if he started with it or was something else

Ronda reached championship status. But GREAT fighter? I will leave that up to the members to decide.
You are right, you know.

The reality is, Ronda always was a marketing product and nothing more.

On the other hand, we have Jacaré Souza, a great fighter and started in Judô, if I am not wrong.

Lol at the Ronda hate in here. I wonder which fight you all saw first? Bethe?

Started out in Judo...
Really? I thought Valentine got him into striking first. But this is a nice nugget of info. Overeem is on of my top 3 fighters. (Jamaican pride!!!! Both Overeem brothers had a Jamaican father and Dutch mother)

Back