great counter to Jones eyepokes that fighters aren't using

I've been pretty rustled about the way Jones uses his hands in the past, but he seemed pretty restrained with that in the DC fight. I haven't rewatched it, though. Anybody agree with that?

I wish I was more familiar with who is responsible for updating the unified rules; I don't even know if it's a single commission. I doubt it.

Are there variants of the unified rules? That would be oxymoronic.

The unified rules come from the ABC (Association of Boxing Commissions) which has representation from a variety of commissions and an annual meeting where changes to the unified rules are discussed and, sometimes, adopted. It's up to individual athletic commissions with their full decision making bodies, rather than just the reps sent to the ABC, as to whether they want to then adopt the recommended changes in their jurisdiction. If they don't, they're considered to not be following the unified rules, and that actually happens quite often. Here's a helpful article on some recommended changes from 2008:

http://www.mmaconvert.com/2008/07/04/abc-revises-unified-rules-of-mixed-martial-arts-significant-weight-class-changes/

• Clarification on strikes to back of the head. The “Mohawk” definition—”crown of the head down the centerline of the skill into the spine, with a 1 inch variance to each side”—will now constitute an illegal strike.
  • The “12-to-6 o’clock” elbow strike is now legal. All elbow strikes are legal except to prohibited areas such as the spine.
  • A fighter cannot cover an opponent’s mouth or nose with the intention to disrupt breathing. (Think Dan Henderson in the first round against Anderson Silva)
  • Significant weight class changes as follows

Promotions and state athletic commissions are not required to adopt the changes, but if they don’t, including the weight class changes, they will not be following the unified rules, which is something the UFC takes pride in. Before the UFC makes any decisions, they will likely wait to see what the NSAC does. NSAC executive director Keith Kizer spoke to MMAJunkie.com about the changes and doesn’t expect the commission to adopt the changes in the immediate future.

As you can see, there were both good changes (the 12-to-6 elbow strike) and bad changes (the insane new weight classes), but neither was adopted, and six years later we're still having stupid debates on Sherdog about whether what 12-to-6 really means.

Those may be the de jure unified rules, but the de facto unified rules tend to be whatever Nevada adopts, as most other commissions will follow their lead (though New Jersey and California have a little spine). Inevitably, there's some variation, since the decisions are ultimately made by individual commissions.

Unfortunately, the NSAC is very inefficient and completely allergic to admitting fault, so little progress tends to be made. However, I don't want to throw all the blame on them, since every other commission is freely able to make obvious rule changes like this any time they want. As I said, it looks to me like maybe some did, so there's at least a little room for optimism.

Take the whole 5 minutes to rest. Jones usually has better gas tank. If DC took the whole 5 min in the 3rd, it might of been a game changer.

It depends on the situation

65226d1324410242-rapid-global-climate-shift-its-socio-economic-effects-eye_poke_defense.jpg

LMFAO

When I first read the thread title I started laughing cause this is what I thought you were going to post TS

Classic

Back