great counter to Jones eyepokes that fighters aren't using

If u dont get 5 min at least take as long as u can. Stretch it out. Make that dr come in everytime. Theres and extra min or 2 right there.

yep, its smart.

I also think grabbing his fingers and breaking snapping the bones would be good. Two wrongs making a right, in this case.

Dc had a good idea..make a fuss about it. Made Herb give Prophet Jones a warning, as a result he had to stop the tactic.

Worked well. Imo walk into a finger early, play it up, ref warns Prophet Jones, no more pokes.

Actually ya, that's smart, too. First time his finger hits anywhere near your eye. Couldn't wait to hear the crying on here about people faking eye pokes... but it would be a product of necessity.

Really good idea.

A good ref will give a guy time by taking extra time to put each fighter in a corner, call the doctor in, warn the other fighter etc. but if at the end of all that the fighter still can't see the fight is stopped. Some refs are terrible at handling these things though. Ive seen fights stopped almost immediately.

I remember Big John talking about how fighters don't get time for eye pokes so he basically does everything he can to drag out the process. Fucking athletic commissions. The referees have to subvert them because they can't make basic and obvious changes to their rules.

I think this varies a bit by jurisdiction, though. I've seen some cases where fighters were given time, which surprised me. Either that or refs just weren't following the rules.

You're right, and I wonder why that is.

Do eyes not recover? Does blurred vision not clear?

I can't say for sure, but I strongly suspect you're off base looking for a good reason. My strong suspicion is that nobody thought to include it when the rule was originally created, and most ACs have just never been organized or proactive enough to fix it. Similar to my suspicion that upkicks were banned by accident under a blanked rule against kicks to the head of a grounded opponent (designed to target soccer kicks), and thus years-and-years later we're left without an essential component of the ground game because early mistakes just have this nasty habit of staying on the books for no good reason whatsoever.

I think the fighter fighting Jones should tell the referee that Jones is violating the rule by holding his fingers in your eyes

Jones' eyepokes are becoming the norm for his fights. At least Big John not only warned him, but even told him how to correct his hand positioning when he does keep his arm extended (by keeping his fingers/hand pointed upwards instead of straight out), and I don't recall that being said before (mind you, I could be wrong).

That being said, and it seems common enough to happen now... I think if Jones were to be warned prior to the fight of an immediate point deduction if an eyepoke occurred, it probably wouldn't.

How long do u get?

Depends on the ref. I've seen Big John give fighters some time to recover. I've seen other refs bring in the doctor immediately to test vision and decide if the fight should be stopped. There's nothing written saying a fighter gets any time though.

Retaliate with a swift kick to the dick.

65226d1324410242-rapid-global-climate-shift-its-socio-economic-effects-eye_poke_defense.jpg

Someone should actually do that to taunt him. I would.

Good try....How about punching his open fingers in attempt to break 1

I can't say for sure, but I strongly suspect you're off base looking for a good reason. My strong suspicion is that nobody thought to include it when the rule was originally created, and most ACs have just never been organized or proactive enough to fix it. Similar to my suspicion that upkicks were banned by accident under a blanked rule against kicks to the head of a grounded opponent (designed to target soccer kicks), and thus years-and-years later we're left without an essential component of the ground game because early mistakes just have this nasty habit of staying on the books for no good reason whatsoever.

I wish I was more familiar with who is responsible for updating the unified rules; I don't even know if it's a single commission. I doubt it.

Are there variants of the unified rules? That would be oxymoronic.

Good try....How about punching his open fingers in attempt to break 1

I've always wondered about right hooking his outstretched arm then follow up with a left hook while his hand is out of position to defend.

This right here. Jones does poke people in the eyes no doubt but the one against DC wouldn't have bothered my 4 year old kid. Lost some respect for DC with his comments about that 'poke'.

You lost respect for DC for doing something to help prevent more eye pokes from the most prolific and successful eye poker in the fight game...yeah ok buddy, that makes sense.

products%5CSAFETY%20PRODUCTS.A2.EYE%20PROTECTION.EYEPRO%5CCHEMICAL%20SPLASH%20GOGGLES.EYEPRO%20%20%20W%5CEYEPRO%20%20%20%20W_primary_WebPic1.JPG

Goggles Gustafsson is coming for that belch

I've always wondered about right hooking his outstretched arm then follow up with a left hook while his hand is out of position to defend.
Yeah, I've thought about the idea of straight up attacking the lead hand too. I mean literally punching his fingers and trying to break them, cause why not? Jones would do the exact same thing if he didn't always have the reach advantage, and has proven it...

You would need to get real close to land punches after clearing it, but it doesn't really seem like jones is that hard to hit on the inside.

Back