Great BMI but no strenght or endurance... (Q from a 40yr old newbie)

James37

White Belt
Reaction score
I noticed that while I'm in good so called shape (BMI wise) I have no strength or endurance during training. I can't punch hard or punch hard for long. My question is about improving endurance and strength but before you guys recommend anything (or tell me to RTFM:) here is a little background...

I'm 40 years old, 5.10 and 152 lbs. Very healthy but also very new. I just started (loving) boxing and kick boxing. I have no prior martial arts background and I don't remember when I was in a gym last time (maybe 20 years ago). My goal (with taking up boxing and kick boxing) is simply to be in better shape (mentally and physically) with some interest in self-defensive applications. Since I'm old(er) and this is just a (serious long term) hobby for me I'm trying to be very carefully about injuries which take longer to recover from (its a gift of getting older). Keeping all that in mind... what recommendations would you guys make for somebody like me who wants to be stronger and have more endurance?

Thanks for all suggestions in advance and... be gentle. :)

First, bmi is shit. It means nothing. In fact it probably means you need to eat a sandwich. Accordding to bmi, I'm borderline obese, and while I'm not exactly sportin a sixpack, I'm not captain beer belly either. It fails to account for a lot, and has no bearing on strength, endurance or any other facet of athletic performance.

As for the rest of your post, you and to get stronger, get better endurance and get better in boxing? Read the faqs, and box more.

For starters, read the FAQs. Then ask any specific questions you have afterwards. Also good is this thread: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/faq-update-beginner-intermediate-routines-1210858/

Regarding the BMI: it's real usefullness is as any easy statistical tool for examining large populations. Using it as a measure of individual health doesn't work so well. For example, many of the posters here have BMI's that would make them "overweight", yet are healthy because it's not due to having excess fat. Additionally, someone can have a "healthy" BMI, yet have very poor body composition (i.e. too much fat, not enough muscle), and is therefore unhealthy.

You have a good BMI, but haven't stepped in a gym in 20 years and wonder why you're weak? As mentionned above, the BMI dosen't mean anything. I'm considered overweight, almost obese, and I can clearly see my abs without flexing.

At 5'10 150lbs you have the shape of a teenage boy (no hate), your priority right now is to put on weight, get on a strength program and eat, eat, eat.

Here's a good program for beginners: 5x5 Calculator

You have a good BMI, but haven't stepped in a gym in 20 years and wonder why you're weak? As mentionned above, the BMI dosen't mean anything. I'm considered overweight, almost obese, and I can clearly see my abs without flexing.

At 5'10 150lbs you have the shape of a teenage boy (no hate), your priority right now is to put on weight, get on a strength program and eat, eat, eat.

Here's a good program for beginners: 5x5 Calculator

Exactly what you need. Depending on what you want for endurance, SS could work very well for you. How often do you do conditioning, boxing classes, kickboxing classes, etc?

Endurance will come with training, theres no rush.
To increase strength for a pure beginner the best program, and the one that i used, is starting strength. After NO LESS than 6 months, when your gains plataue (dno how to spell that) move on to madcows 5x5.
Just remember less is more.

40 is no excuse not to lift. Squt dead bench and press. You will get strong. BMI is dumb.

In his age is better to focus on kickboxing routine with simple bodyweight exercises. He doesn't need to risk injury from heavy weights, he doesn't need more strenght that much(40 probably has a weapon if he feels need to).
Will he have time to to SS and kickboxing?
He is not teenager to watch Lesnar and then hit the gym.
IMO it is better to do kickboxing and then he'll feel much better physically and mentaly, with better overall health, and low injury risk. In his age wounds don't heals as fast as in 22.

In his age is better to focus on kickboxing routine with simple bodyweight exercises. He doesn't need to risk injury from heavy weights, he doesn't need more strenght that much(40 probably has a weapon if he feels need to).
IMO it is better to do kickboxing and then he'll feel much better physically and mentaly, with better overall health, and low injury risk. In his age wounds don't heals as fast as in 22.

^ It's reasons like this you have a double yellow. Here's the problem with just doing kick boxing and not strength training. You are more likely to get injured without strengthening your core and all of your muscles surrounding your joints.

Do the Starting Strength program and eat > 3,000 calories/day. Your endurance will come from your boxing training. I'm 6'0 192 lbs, low bf% and I don't consider myself big at all. But I have a good strength base because my lifting is structured around the big 3 and few good assistance lifts. You don't need to be 260 but you do need to be able to hold your own in the strength dept or you will get bullied. Strength matters in the fight game don't believe all of those Karate Kid movies. In real life he would have got his shit smacked.

^ It's reasons like this you have a double yellow. Here's the problem with just doing kick boxing and not strength training. You are more likely to get injured without strengthening your core and all of your muscles surrounding your joints.

Dude don't you know to read? Read at least 1st post. Hint: his goals.
He doesn't want to live life like you. You can't asume what is good for u it is also good for him.

Yep your opinion is superior than anybody else's here since you got that mark Amateur Fighter under your name. You are my hero. May I apologise to you and the GTFO this thread?

First, bmi is shit. It means nothing. In fact it probably means you need to eat a sandwich. Accordding to bmi, I'm borderline obese, and while I'm not exactly sportin a sixpack, I'm not captain beer belly either. It fails to account for a lot, and has no bearing on strength, endurance or any other facet of athletic performance.

As for the rest of your post, you and to get stronger, get better endurance and get better in boxing? Read the faqs, and box more.

I just calculated my bmi and i am overweight, bordering obese as well. Although my body fat is around 12%.....

Dude don't you know to read? Read at least 1st post. Hint: his goals.
He doesn't want to live life like you. You can't asume what is good for u it is also good for him.

Yep your opinion is superior than anybody else's here since you got that mark Amateur Fighter under your name. You are my hero. May I apologise to you and the GTFO this thread?

Learn how to formulate a complete sentence and spell correctly before attacking someone's ability to read. It makes you look less than intelligent.

"Kicker" i'm pretty sure anyone who knows a damn thing will agree with me over your advice. I never said my opinion is superior. I am taking time out of my day to give the guy solid advice since i've been through all of this already.

Have you ever trained in your life? It doesn't sound like you know a damn thing about it. Hell your advice suggested he just buy a gun instead of worrying about physical attributes...seriously??

people will disagree with me here but here goes:

I recommend doing 3 sets of 20-30 reps squats (below parallel), lunges, bench press/pressups, horizontal rows, other important exercises (forget machines, only use free weights) and do this for a good 8 weeks or so maybe once a week increasing to twice per week when you feel you can recover. Ignore the people saying to do 'starting strength'...imo you need to ease into things gently and condition your tendons, ligaments, etc, first. The squats and lunges will probably need to be bodyweight i.e. no weight when you start out. Use correct form - e.g. no standing on your toes as this can damage your knees.

At the same time, do some "long slow distance" cardio (elliptical machine/cross trainer/cycling/running/swimming/anything but it must be very low intensity for an hour or more in order to get the best heart adaptations...imo do this twice a week though once a week would also work).

After 8 weeks of this (1 day weightlifting, 1-2 days LSD cardio) I think you could make the weightlifting more intensive and heavier e.g. you could follow Starting Strength/Stronglifts or some other strength training programme. As it's a long term hobby and your priority is to avoid injury, make sure you research the lifts properly before you start one of the strength training programmes, e.g. there are videos online teaching technique for squatting and deadlifting.

Final words: avoid all advice from bodybuilders and anyone who does a "chest and biceps day". Avoid machines, and ignore anyone who tells you to go straight into a strength routine without doing some general conditioning first.

Learn how to formulate a complete sentence and spell correctly before attacking someone's ability to read. It makes you look less than intelligent.

"Kicker" i'm pretty sure anyone who knows a damn thing will agree with me over your advice. I never said my opinion is superior. I am taking time out of my day to give the guy solid advice since i've been through all of this already.

Have you ever trained in your life? It doesn't sound like you know a damn thing about it. Hell your advice suggested he just buy a gun instead of worrying about physical attributes...seriously??

First of all sorry for my bad english, you glorious fighter. I'm still learning.
I told you to read because you were giving advice to this old man without even consider his lifestyle and goals. I'm not saying that your advice is bad, in fact I think is really good, but NOT FOR THIS (relatively)OLD MAN.
He is 40, probably have wife and kids, job, and all kind of shit going on in his 40is life.
When will he be able to find time to do all the things you're sugesting? It is better to do something than nothing. My advice is better than yours because of that.
If you really want to know what am I doing you are welcome check my log any time. Link is in my signature. I'll be glad to hear your opinion, if it is not ignorant like this.

Wrong. Older people stand to benefit just as much, if not more, than younger people from barbell strength training.

First of all sorry for my bad english, you glorious fighter. I'm still learning.
I told you to read because you were giving advice to this old man without even consider his lifestyle and goals. I'm not saying that your advice is bad, in fact I think is really good, but NOT FOR THIS (relatively)OLD MAN.
He is 40, probably have wife and kids, job, and all kind of shit going on in his 40is life.
When will he be able to find time to do all the things you're sugesting? It is better to do something than nothing. My advice is better than yours because of that.
If you really want to know what am I doing you are welcome check my log any time. Link is in my signature. I'll be glad to hear your opinion, if it is not ignorant like this.

You keep attacking the fighter thing.. are you jealous or something? I skimmed your log. I really wouldn't give any more advice...

Just wanted to tone down your arogance with that.
Keep up the good work.:D

Back