Great BJJ school, or decent MMA school

jenglish3186

White Belt
Reaction score
Posting this in standup forum also

Brand new to MMA, my long term goal is for both fitness and to hopefully one day compete (most interested in MMA competition, would grapple though also but not a priority)

Trying to figure out what kind of facility would be best suited for my needs and goals, thought this would be a great place to ask for suggestions

I've narrowed it down to 2 gyms in my area,

1) Great looking BJJ gym with what seem to be many competent teachers and students, but only hold MMA specific classes once a week. All BJJ classes are with a gi. Muay thai classes also held here.

or

2) Decent looking MMA gym with considerably less experienced teachers and students, but all seem eager to learn and get better. Grappling done without a gi. These guys seem much more oriented towards reaching a very high level of conditioning with workouts before class.

price and driving distance is pretty much equal, with the exception of having to buy gis for the bjj class

#2 seems the more likely choice but it seems that the grapplers in #1 outclass the ones from gym #2, though my judgement could be wrong due to my lack of experience

I work 24 hour shifts, then I'm off for 48 hours. So i would miss 1/3rd of the MMA classes for gym #1. In turn, I would also miss at least one takedown class a week for gym #2.

So really, just wondering what you all think, I appreciate you guys reading and taking the time to respond.

i would go with gym 1 hands down, your in dallas, so it isnt draculinos gym is it?

Gym number one. I would work on either grappling or muay thai rather than just an mma gym

no I don't think i've even tried that one out yet, not coming up with much on google either. whats the name of the place?

#1... I love doing both MT and BJJ. But having an amazing instructor is going to do wonders. I would go to the Bjj experts fo sho

Thanks guys, I had hoped for more replies but this will do.

Definately having the more experienced teachers and sparring partners was a big plus, I appreciate your time guys. Will definately take your words into consideration before I sign up at either.

#1 sounds like North Dallas BJJ on Spring Creek?

I'd PM hayliks for info about schools in Dallas, although I think it's been some time since he's been back in that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back