Gray "The Bully" Maynard's Resume Is IMPRESSIVE! (With PICs and GIFs!)

He lost both his fights against Nate. Got submitted in the TUF house, but then was on the right side of a bad decision. I'd say Nate Diaz, Gilbert Melendez, Anthony Pettis and Bendo all beat him handily. He's in a place like that of Koscheck, or Florian from years ago. Not quite champion-material. He makes a good gatekeeper. That's no offense to anyone, he's a damn good fighter, I just don't think he'll ever get another win over top 5 LW's. But he's definitely in the top 10

In my opinion, he is able to replicate what Guida did to Pettis. Would still be very competitive though.

His resume is good but I remember when he was just a straight up 'lay n pray' wrestler. In his fights before the two Edgar fights, he literally did nothing but controlled people on their back. He KO'd Joe Veres and KO'd himself in the Emerson fight. He was one of the most boring fighters on the roster at the time and he was dubbed 'Lay n Praynard'.

He's turned things around nicely now though and I actually am enjoying his fights, he actually comes to 'fight' now which is a huge turnaround.

[WITH_TEETH];77281901 said:
He should be champ. His fights with Frankie could/should have been stopped at least four times. I'm not even a fan of Gray but he got screwed in both Frankie fights. he should have been champ years ago then he'd underestimate Bendo and lose.

Should have been stopped? How so when the other fight clearly could comeback both times from adversity, which he did.

his resume is very impressive. i hear that guy even KO'd Gray Maynard

maynardko.gif

I lost my shit here.

Should have been stopped? How so when the other fight clearly could comeback both times from adversity, which he did.

Don't rehash the whole issue of fights being stopped inconsistently.

There are so many fights which could have been stopped and NO ONE would have an issue with it being so.

One that makes me sad is Wand vs. Rich II, that could've been stopped twice.

He's elite, and one of my favorite LW's.

he has beaten a few good guys but he hasnt had that many fights in his career. He is a good fighter but hes not championship material at all. Hes a really tough guy and is a hard fight for anybody at that weight.

Maynard has always been underrated and he has a great resume, although he clearly lost the second Diaz fight.

"clearly lost"? lol
Maynard 30-27, 29-28 Diaz 28-29.
You're incapable of recognizing anything clearly through that cloud of sensimilla you're toking.

He is really impressive. I never expected his hands to get so good.

he has beaten a few good guys but he hasnt had that many fights in his career. He is a good fighter but hes not championship material at all. Hes a really tough guy and is a hard fight for anybody at that weight.
Yet Nate Diaz, who Maynard has beaten, is?
I could have sworn when he knocked Edgar down 4 times, Edgar was cling to the Cage, back to the fight, and his Corner screaming for the Ref to stop the fight, that Maynard looked like "championship material" to me.
Of course, being a Penn fan, you're probably making an unfair comparison because BJ dominated Edgar so badly, twice.....Right?

The split w/ Huerta and Guida should have been UD with the judges, I have no idea what they were thinking.

I'm on the side of the fence that thinks he lost the Nate fight though. Not really because of his skill, just because of his horrible gameplanning going into the fight.

The guy is easily top 3 at LW at the moment and will really give anyone, including the champ, a run for their money on any day. I hope he comes back strong from his injury.

Not really, GSP, Silva, and Aldo are still champs unlike Frankie. Frankie isn't even in the division anymore. There's no roadblock at the top for Gray, rather there's a fresh and arguably favorable match up for him.

Plus through the three Frankie fights it left an impression that they're closely matched and always will be as opposed to Gray has nothing for the champ(who again has been dethroned).

Rich was clearly stalling from the bottom at multiple points. They were both at fault for that being underwhelming.

Maynard had 5 Pro Fights total when he fought Clementi. Clementi, with close to 50 Pro Fights, was on a run with recent wins over Anthony Johnson and Melvin Guillard.
Clementi was an expert at tying up Maynard's hands from the bottom.

He should fight the winner of Miller/Lauzon for a title shot after Pettis/Cerrone

His resume is good but I remember when he was just a straight up 'lay n pray' wrestler. In his fights before the two Edgar fights, he literally did nothing but controlled people on their back. He KO'd Joe Veres and KO'd himself in the Emerson fight. He was one of the most boring fighters on the roster at the time and he was dubbed 'Lay n Praynard'.

He's turned things around nicely now though and I actually am enjoying his fights, he actually comes to 'fight' now which is a huge turnaround.

This assessment coming from one of the more misinformed on the sdog forum.
Maynard still holds the UFC LW Record for fastest KO.
Maynard battered Jim Miller standing. He busted Jim's face up to pizza comparison.
Knocked Huerta down multiple times in addition to a kimura that was grotesque.
The story of the Maynard/Diaz was quite simple. Maynard had effective striking, Diaz did not. Maynard knocked down/Rocked Nate in every round. Diaz, when he knew he had lost the fight standing, attempted to initiate a wrestling match.
Maynard/Florian, contrary to sherdog reality, was a bell to bell ass kicking in every phase of MMA. Maynard busted Kenny's face open with a short right hook that basically took any fight left out of Florian.
And Emerson, It's apparent you've only seen an inaccurate highlight. Maynard beat on Emerson from the opening bell.
Why would you outright lie and mischaracterize, when it's so easy to verify what really occured? Strange.

**so how close is Maynard to another title shot?

and how does Gilbert Melendez factor into the UFC LH Title picture when he's done with Strikeforce?

alot of split decisions in there... would love to see him fight nate again

He's a badass, and has become more of a risk taker later in his career (putting his hands down vs Guida, standing and banging with Frankie, etc), which is unusual.

Back