Gray Maynard vs. Fabricio Camoes set for UFC 176

Gray is getting ko'd. Pretty sad that his chin got broken by himself and Frankie Edgar.

Of all the fighters at 155lbs why do they keep on matching Camoes with big names? Guillard, Miller, now Maynard?

Maynard UD

The only thing I can think of, is that he's a BJJ black-belt and quite a well respected one, I believe.

It's basically a way of giving a fighter a gimme/tune-up victory, without it being completely obvious to a casual fan, that it's a gimme fight.

If they made Garrett Whiteley vs. Gray Maynard, even casual fans would raise their eyebrows but when Camoes is walking to the cage Rogan can bang on about his BJJ prowess and it seems like a reasonable match-up.

Camoes decent but getting stiff competition. This is not as lopsided as it may appear. Might be a decent entertaining bout.

This is hardly among gimmees like Mendes vs McKenzie or DC vs Cummins and many others.

The only thing I can think of, is that he's a BJJ black-belt and quite a well respected one, I believe.

It's basically a way of giving a fighter a gimme/tune-up victory, without it being completely obvious to a casual fan, that it's a gimme fight.

If they made Garrett Whiteley vs. Gray Maynard, even casual fans would raise their eyebrows but when Camoes is walking to the cage Rogan can bang on about his BJJ prowess and it seems like a reasonable match-up.

He could hype the fuck out of Whiteley too, he only has to begin with 'make no mistake'.

Camoes might be a legit black belt but he is not taking Maynard down unless he pulls guard.

Glad to see Maynard finally back. He should get an easy win from this fight.

He could hype the fuck out of Whiteley too, he only has to begin with 'make no mistake'.

Camoes might be a legit black belt but he is not taking Maynard down unless he pulls guard.

"Mike, make no mistake - he may only be 7-3, but Whiteley is legit. He got KO'd by a grappler in his first UFC fight and out-wrestled by a striker in Vinc Pichel. He has no tools to speak of, but he trains with Chris Lytle."

I totally agree with you, but if a guy has a legit background in something he's easy to sell as a decent fighter to someone whose never seen him fight before - hence, Camoes gets given big name LW's who they desperately want to get back in the win column.

"Mike, make no mistake - he may only be 7-3, but Whiteley is legit. He got KO'd by a grappler in his first UFC fight and out-wrestled by a striker in Vinc Pichel. He has no tools to speak of, but he trains with Chris Lytle."

There you go man, lol.

War Gray

Assuming he wins this, I hope he doesn't get thrown back to the wolves immediately. I'd like to see him get a few more easier fights to hopefully build his confidence first. Between his wrestling and boxing I thought we'd see him at the top of the division for quite some time.

Big step down for Gray. Guy needs to get his head on straight

a step down on competition for maynard (compared to his previous fights) but i really hope he wins. if he doesnt then he needs to retire

Definitely a gimme fight.

Camoes is hard to finish though so Gray should get a UD just by having better boxing.

There you go man, lol.

Haha, bit harsh on Whiteley but still!

Definitely a gimme fight.

Camoes is hard to finish though so Gray should get a UD just by having better boxing.

This is exactly what I see happening, gonna be a boring fight too. Most of Camoes' fights have been dry as fuck, apart from when Jim Miller subbed him. Actually, I remember his victory being quite entertaining as well but he was fighting a bottom-level dude.

Haha, bit harsh on Whiteley but still!

This is exactly what I see happening, gonna be a boring fight too. Most of Camoes' fights have been dry as fuck, apart from when Jim Miller subbed him. Actually, I remember his victory being quite entertaining as well but he was fighting a bottom-level dude.

Really? There is always interesting grappling in his fights. I've been entertained at least.

Surprisingly, takedowns are one of the strongest aspects of his grappling game (he took Miller down pretty easily). Fight will be closer than expected imo.

Poor Garett Whiteley getting bashed harder than Camoes lol.

Back