Gray Cook: "Maintain the Squat - Train the Deadlift"

Bro1989

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you agree or disagree with legendary physical therapist Gray Cook that one should only keep the ability to squat but to train the deadlift as it is less stressful on the joints as it is much more of a true 'muscle movement pattern'?

Balanced Body Series - Dead Lifting

I read all 3 of your hastily made threads (3 threads in 6 minutes has to be a record).

I definitely disagree with what the 'legendary therapist' is saying. Neglecting a lift because it is perceived to be stressful on the joints (which is categorically false if performed properly) to train a different lift in it's place because it is more of a true 'muscle movement pattern.' Whatever the hell that means.

Every thread you posted seems to be info put out by people that don't want to squat, spewing BS and grasping at straws to make it seem like an unsafe or dangerous lift. Last portion of your third thread hints that you might want to squat more if the DL is too hard for you..still BS though there is more carryover from the squat to the DL than visa versa.

Calling the science-y guys to do a better job at refuting this with actual studies etc.
Arlecc, DrB, Miaou, Tosa, with your powers combined!!....

EDIT: The word function(al) is used 27 times in the article and is posted by "Functional Movement Systems." Don't bother, my head exploded.

Last edited:
"Bro" - are you just starting out your training and in the overanalyzing phase?

Thank you for your replies, guys!

"Over-analyzing" might be it. I have injured myself around a month ago, and I guess I spent too much time reading what "gurus" have to say. Things were much better as I had a lot less time to read as I was lifting iron in the gym. Another two weeks or so, and I will be back in the gym.

Thanks again, and please keep the replies coming.

How did you injure yourself?

Instead of posting X threads about dl / squats & knee/hip dominant movements, you could just ask what's on your mind, you know?

No.

Not even worth replying to any more. He used junk science and assertions to support his viewpoint.

Fuck him.

i was once trolled by michael boyle and quit powerlifting for functional training and paid for it, i will not let this happen again.. lalalallalala

I read all 3 of your hastily made threads (3 threads in 6 minutes has to be a record).

I definitely disagree with what the 'legendary therapist' is saying. Neglecting a lift because it is perceived to be stressful on the joints (which is categorically false if performed properly) to train a different lift in it's place because it is more of a true 'muscle movement pattern.' Whatever the hell that means.

Every thread you posted seems to be info put out by people that don't want to squat, spewing BS and grasping at straws to make it seem like an unsafe or dangerous lift. Last portion of your third thread hints that you might want to squat more if the DL is too hard for you..still BS though there is more carryover from the squat to the DL than visa versa.

Calling the science-y guys to do a better job at refuting this with actual studies etc.
Arlecc, DrB, Maiou, Tosa, with your powers combined!!....

EDIT: The word function(al) is used 27 times in the article and is posted by "Functional Movement Systems." Don't bother, my head exploded.

The grey text on white background combined with the overuse of the word functional is giving me a headache, seriously. I got through a couple paragraphs and quickly scanned the rest.

My respond is: do deadlifts and squats and learn to do them both properly.

Example:

"For functional hip strength:"

"For functional stability:"

What are dysfunctional strength and stability? Would this not be weakness and instability? He is either incorrectly using terms or using trendy verbage to sound like he knows what he is talking about while spamming shit he has written (DVD for sale, etc.)

If you are recovering from injury, or need counseling, see a therapist. If you want to get strong, ask a coach who has produced strong, healthy athletes.

TS, shut up and fucking squat.

Do you agree or disagree with legendary physical therapist Gray Cook that one should only keep the ability to squat but to train the deadlift as it is less stressful on the joints as it is much more of a true 'muscle movement pattern'?

Balanced Body Series - Dead Lifting

Was going to check out the link but then I saw that and decided against.

Also, "functional movement" is in the damn URL so... I'll pass.

Go Squat.

Was going to check out the link but then I saw that and decided against.

Also, "functional movement" is in the damn URL so... I'll pass.

Go Squat.

after watching the other vid, "functional training" def came from physical therapy..

Remember, he's recommending kettlebells for this. A single leg kettlebell deadlift has about as much to do with a barbell deadlift as [snotty]kettlebells have to do with legitimate methods of strength training[/remark].

From - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/26/s...s-have-winning-fitness-strategy.html?_r=2&hpw

"The Falcons, who visit the New Orleans Saints on Monday night [losing 26-23], have emphasized flexibility, based on a procedure called Functional Movement Systems. Its developer is the physical therapist Gray Cook, who has offered demonstrations at the N.F.L. Combine and estimates that 8 to 10 teams use the methods, which he said departed from the long-held credo of bigger, faster, stronger.

I've watched Cooks' presentations of his FMS and various corrective exercise protocols and have been very impressed. His approach to p/rehab is highly empirical and above reproach IMO, and throughout he stresses that nothing he teaches is intended to replace proper strength training, but merely serves as the groundwork for such (which I believe the term "functional" is in reference to, e.g. training without dysfunctional movement patterns).

Back