Grappling wresting neck injuries breaks

Nickthai247

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi am new to grappling just wondered how common neck injuries and even necks breaking during takedowns especially when your kind of landing in a bridge position?

I've seen a few wrestling videos on YouTube of wrestlers breaking their necks. Anyone on here with wrestling backgrounds seen bad neck injuries as bad as necks breaking ? Would neck strength exercises reduce the chance of injuries?
Cheers

Breaking or injuring the neck? Breaking the neck will get you quadruplegic, or dead.

breaking is probably rare, most likely scenario would be you do a double leg opponent guillotines you continue the takedown and spike your head

...but I get a stiff/sore neck all the time playing 1 legged x...people try and hold on to your head which works for about 5 seconds then they fall over...still it adds up and I get neck ache

Nastiest I've seen was that 15 yr old kid in Brazil. I haven't done BJJ in a good 11 years so don't know the name of the technique... but it's the guard pass where you stack your opponents guard while standing, grab the bottom of the gi skirt by their butt and flip them over then drop your weight onto them. He didn't flip him all the way and dropped all his weight on the kid with his head still trapped.

It was gruesome. His body flipped over and his head just stayed there trapped. Then when they pulled his body off of it it just flopped over like crocops foot after the Gonzaga head kick. It was very disturbing to watch and even more-so knowing that it is a kid.

I guess a bright side is that he didn't die. I think I heard he is now quadriplegic though. Sucks..

I imagine this type of injury is very rare, and only occurred because of an overzealous and unskilled opponent using brute force instead of technique.

Can be found on youtube I think.

breaking is probably rare, most likely scenario would be you do a double leg opponent guillotines you continue the takedown and spike your head

That really doesn't happen in wrestling because when you shoot the opponent isn't going for a guillotine.

What TS is describing can happen, but is rare. I've seen neck injuries in wrestling from explosive bridges, but not off takedowns. This is just personal experience though. I don't doubt that it's happened.

Back