Grappling with instructor

my instructor usually just says that he wont submit me and to just try and get the dominant position and try to tap him out. Not that I do its hard as hell. He probably just doesnt try and tap me tho cuz im only 16 lol.

Remeber that you pay HIM to teach you, not to own you all the time to perfect his own technique. My belt is as white as they get and I like the fact that when I roll with my instructor, either I just try to go for basics like the bent armbar, collar choke, and basic sweeps with him doing the same at 50% or less. Then if I ask he will go hard on me and I will learn just trying to survive for as long as possible. Which is not long. I don't want a kiss-ass fake 24 hour fitness customer service freak instructor, but I don't want one who sees me as a novice who is there to be a blue belt practice dummy either. I left my ego at home (adhering to the popular phrase) the instructor and mr. bad ass blue belt should too.

Dude...enjoy the experience. After he does this for a while you'll start to develop good instincts. You'll also learn not to panic when something unexpected happens. I have a pretty large arsenal of submissions, many of which are unorthodox. The best guys don't even pause when I work for one, while others get a "deer in headlights" look and usually don't survive. The best guys save their questions for afterwards (if they have them).

I'm a fair bit bigger than my instructor. ( Around twice the size actually. )
We always go full on since he has trouble finishing me and I've never been able to finish him even though I've had him in trouble a couple of times.
Of course my submission game doesn't get much practice from this but my ground control, submission defense and guard passing improves by leaps and bounds not to mention my cardio.

The thing is an instructor can try new stuff on beginners and they can learn from it. I try to explain to people that if there is a big difference in skill level the lower skilled person will, and should be defending most of the time. You should learn how to stay out of bad positions first, and that includes avoiding stuff you haven't been taught yet.

You shouldn't have to know how to do a technique to be able to defend it. Usually defending techniques of any kind is a matter of posture or proper postioning. Which is another reason it makes since that an instuctor would practice on a beginner. It lets them by pass the stage of having to set up or break posture/position and concentrate on the mechanics of the position on a resisting (although less experienced) opponent. It also exposes weeknesses in the beginners posture or positioning that the good instructor can help point out after words.

I think that's a good thing. I mean would u rather him do just kimuras on you for two years? Being exposed to a variety of technique isn't so bad. I mean u'll get the heads up early on and have better experiance just from early exposure.

Ybot said:
The thing is an instructor can try new stuff on beginners and they can learn from it. I try to explain to people that if there is a big difference in skill level the lower skilled person will, and should be defending most of the time. You should learn how to stay out of bad positions first, and that includes avoiding stuff you haven't been taught yet.

You shouldn't have to know how to do a technique to be able to defend it. Usually defending techniques of any kind is a matter of posture or proper postioning. Which is another reason it makes since that an instuctor would practice on a beginner. It lets them by pass the stage of having to set up or break posture/position and concentrate on the mechanics of the position on a resisting (although less experienced) opponent. It also exposes weeknesses in the beginners posture or positioning that the good instructor can help point out after words.

yupp exactly , i mean it is jiu jitsu if you don't want to be exposed to certain things well yer not going to learn anything. Yer instuctor knows exactly what he's doing!

I doubt he is trying to show you that advanced stuff exists and works, i think he is working
on his own shit, which to me is messed up to do that to a weaker guy.

I hardly train with white belts at all now. I always go after guys better than me, why?
I'm not a bully.

Whenever I roll with white belts and beginners, I always just try to maintain my position/work out kinks, or try weird submissions or work on my weaker areas of my game.

when I work with beginners, I try to help them out in a few major things,
and not over flood them with info.

but to help them is my major concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back