1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

grappling tournament

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Oregonmma, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Oregonmma

Oregonmma 2x Ice cream belt

alright so heres the deal. ive been training bjj privately for about a year now and im going to enter a bjj tournament that starts in about a month. Depending on how well i do i will grapple up to 5 different people in one 5 minute round each. Any strategies on how i should prepare for this tournament?

BTW i have an excellent body for Bjj being 6'2" and weighing 145. I am very flexible and can pull rubber guard very easily and usually do. I usually use the rubber guard too keep control of my opponent and look for an armbar or gogo/omoplata.

2. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Start sparring stand-up 6 minutes with point systems.

5 minutes break in between.

Decide on a strategy but train for worst case scenario.

You like playing guard..but what if the guy pulls gaurd instead and vice versa.

Good luck.

3. Oregonmma

Oregonmma 2x Ice cream belt

i know many many subs from top position. I can also break guard fairly well. Thanks for the advice though ill try that out.

4. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Sounds like you are more confident on top but what if you end trailing by points against someone who only wants to play top as well.

I guess good TKD skills is always a must.

5. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

I'm not exactly the ACDC winner of the universe, but one thing that's a must is to practice with points and advantages. Learn how to score, start using knee-on-belly if you don't use it already, polish your sweeps, especially the mount escape.

If there's one advice I am qualified to tell you, in spite of my wonderful 1-6 record in tournaments, is that if you're in a choke, don't tap right away. Keep a straight face, make it as hard as possible for the opponent to choke you, and don't tap just yet! Most people just don't have the patience to try choking you forever, especially if it seems it doesn't work. If you have to ask yourself if you're caught or not, you're not caught. Of course, if you're caught in a joint lock, then tap or scream or whatever will save your limb for another day.

If you lose, don't beat yourself over it. Losing is hard and painful, but if you keep training, you're bound to learn something from the loss. I'm not a good grappler, but each of my losses has shown me something about myself and my flaws, and the quickest progress you can make is when you work on your worst abilities.

Good luck on the tournament!

6. PerfectBalance

PerfectBalance Yellow Belt

What tournament are you going to in a month. Just curious because I live in Oregon too and I'm not aware of any tournaments coming up.

7. loc0plata

loc0plata White Belt

if you get points for takedowns in the tournament practice your sprawl and your singles a lot. it sounds like since it's your first tourney you'll be in the beginner class and there's always lots of wrestlers turned jiu jitsu players in that class, so either work a lot on your standing game or work a lot on setting up subs from you guard.

run lots, and lift to improve your static strength. after about three matches your muscles fill with lactic acid and it gets harder to squeeze for triangles and guillotines and stuff like that, and your static strength is what helps you hold on to subs longer and make them tighter.

i'd use the team quest workout routine at this link, it helped me prepare for my last tournament:

Randy Couture Workout for MMA Conditioning

other than that good luck brother

8. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Jesus christ man, EAT