Grappling- suplay/suplex legal?

IrishBeatDown****

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
so i am new to grappling but i wrestled for many years, mostly greco-roman and nothing is more exciting in a wrestling match than executing a good suplay or "suplex"

my question is are throws like this legal in NAGA, Grappler's Quest and other grappling competitions?

i have read the rules but they seem very sketchy... you get 5 points for high amplitude throws but would this be considered a spike or a slam therefor making it illegal?

heres a picture for those who don't know what a suplay or "suplex" is:

scr_20007181a_hr.jpg

As far as I know it would be considered a slam due to the impact (and lack of control that most people have) that normal comes with a suplex.

As far as I know it would be considered a slam due to the impact (and lack of control that most people have) that normal comes with a suplex.

well thats where the risk comes into play in performing the move... even in greco it is only a legal technique if you maintain constant control of your opponent. you cannot just throw him over your shoulder with utter disregard and let him land how he will... you have to guide him down to as "safe" a landing as possible... if properly executed your opponent should land on his shoulders not his head and you should be in a dominant position.

its great that the guy getting thrown is already holding up five for the thrower in that picture.

I don't think a suplex is any more dangerous in no gi or gi then some of the throws I've had hit on me in judo, but then again I dont see the point of suping someone in competition as you don't usually end up in the best of positions after a supe and I've seen more then once where the guy suping or hitting a salto breaks his nose. PS as a disclamer never practice supes without a crashpad its just not nice.

Don't quote me on this, but I think as long as you don't spike the guy on his head you won't have any problems. Even if they did they would probably just check on him and restart the match.

Back