Grappling-specific breathing/conditioning training?

G

Green Monkey

So I'm having a ton of trouble rolling and breathing - especially when I'm on the bottom and top has a shoulder in my solarplexus.

Basically, tapping so I can breathe/not puke.

I know things will get better as I get in better shape and get less nervous, but I'm also wondering if grappling-specific conditioning would be a good idea.

My thought was to lie down and set a relatively heavy DB on my solar plexus after a cardio session. I was just thinking that might get me used to the sensation/situation.

Anyone else have magic workout/exercise out there?

rosstraining.com

Burpees, situps, pushups, jogging, etc...

Here's a couple of things you can do to help.

1) Do an intense set of cardio (burpees, sprints, etc.). Immediately after the set, lie on your back and try to throw your legs over your head. Stay in that position and focus on relaxed breathing.

2) Do an intense set of cardio, lie on your back and wrap your gi jacket over your face and focus on relaxed breathing.

3) Again, intense cardio, lie with your chest directly on a medicine ball, basketball, etc. and only allow your toes to touch the ground. Focus on relaxed breathing.

Good luck. With more experience, your anxiety in these situations will improve.

Train hard cardio and if you use a mouthpiece try training in it sometimes. Nice info tf^^.

wanderlei doing some snorkel training:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1iVKIwo8Qc&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1iVKIwo8Qc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

probably would not do it unless under supervision

I had this prob for awhile was gassing too quick in wrestling matches because low on gas+nervousness+dead tired. I found just running and rolling as much as possible helped me.

Yeah there's no real secret to anything. Just keep going and work hard.

You don't need to do any grappling specific conditioning. I'm not saying that its bad and it certainly can't hurt, but you don't HAVE to do it.

I don't do any grappling specific cardio training, in fact I haven't in years, I'm more of a LSD runner when it comes to cardio.

Seriously dude, all it is is breathing. A lot of people have never been taught the correct way to breathe when grappling, its very simple. Just relax, breathe IN through your nose (use your diaphragm, deep breathing) and when you exhale don't just let the air out but PUSH it out. I breathe in through the nose, and out through the nose most times I'm grappling, if things are really heating up and it gets fast paced, every now and then I may breathe out of my mouth, but even then I push the breath out, almost like I'm blowing air through a straw. Think of it like that.

Above all else. Relax. Seriously. The more relaxed you are the better you will be able to breathe. Also, how new to grappling are you? Some people at first just aren't used to the pressure that an opponent can put on you (especially with things like knee on belly) but the more you grapple the less things like that bother you and affect your breathing.

You can do all the grappling specific conditioning drills you want, but you can't recreate the pressure that an opponent will put on you. Just keep grappling, relax, and breathe like I told you. I picked up that type of breathing very early and I've never had problems with cardio in grappling.

1) Do an intense set of cardio (burpees, sprints, etc.). Immediately after the set, lie on your back and try to throw your legs over your head. Stay in that position and focus on relaxed breathing.

We did this alot in grappling classes, helps get used to the feeling which does help. In most cases the probelm just works itself out with experiance, but anytime you have another persons weight on your chest it's going to make breathing harder.

One thing i always did when i had top control is use my forehead to press down on their sternum, works well at controlling and sucking the wind out of people, always remember what works against you always works on other people too

yoga has helped me out a ton. you learn to concentrate on your breathing while in uncomfortable positions. pilaties helps as well

Thanks all - good advice.

I should've mentioned that I have asthma, so my anxiety is a bit exagerated.

I like the idea of the self-stack and laying on a medicine ball after cardio.

These last couple of months are my first live rolling experience, and I've been a bit irregular in attendence, so I know that's not helping.

I have trained through the stress/anxiety of stand up sparring, but that was years ago and my cardio/gas has gone to pot.

Thanks again!

Back