grappling sessions w/ striking allowed

DonkeyKong

Frazier > Ali
@purple
Reaction score
sometimes at Gracie Barra when a submission match is too tied up Z

hell yes grappling with striking is a lot more realistic.

whenever me and my brother train together, we always make sure to incorporate strikes into our submission wrestling, not just grappling.

if you dont do it, then your jiu jitsu is worthless on the street, unless you

triso said:
Dude that is just stupid. What's up with you people and these ridiculous comments about the street.

spoken like a true street-virgin.

triso said:
You people are hysterical.
Can you, at least, give an argument or are you gonna post stupid things all day long?

I'm not posting stupid things, and I am not arguing.

I agree with the original post, I think grappling with strikes is an effective training method. I believe it definitely helps your game, and adds a new perspective to positions, grips, and moves.

I just don't agree with all the "street" talk around here lately (I'm on a tear with this for some reason, it's my new pet peeve), and to make a comment saying if you don't train strikes, your Jiu Jitsu is useless for the street to me, at least, is saying something stupid.

Sorry, I'm not instigating anything, and I don't want to hijack the thread, I'm just sick of hearing about "the street".

Most BJJ training is done without strikes. I guess therefore we are all just wasting our time training BJJ. Oh well, it was fun while the delusion lasted that it had some benefit. Now I find out from someone named DonkeyKong that Rickson's school is absolutely worthless. Damn it. I hate to break the news to Rickson...

If your goal is to compete in mma I think you should incorporate grappling with striking fairly early and fairly regularely.

At one of the no-gi places I attend we sometimes incorporate limited striking with mma gloves into the grappling (i.e. I'll punch as hard as you punch). I wouldn't call it mma since we don't do any kicks or really hard punches. The reasoning is that it makes your grappling a lot faster since getting hit is annoying. So I think it used partly a conditioning/speed tool.

(P.S. I also think all the street smarts chat is a little annoying too.)

how do you incorporate stiking into your grappling, safely? head gear? little gloves? thanks guys...

All the street talk is sickening, dont you listen to your teachers? The first practice they will probably say something like "what happens in here, stays in here.. dont apply this in street fights etc" you guys are fucking morons and i would definetly love to whopp your asses.. (under controlled conditions ofcourse ;) )

edit: oh yeah on topic (im really grumpy today, sowweey)
I train judo and MMA in the same dojo.. I do GI grappling without strikes and noGI grappling with strikes.. We dont use any knockout power punches, but we put enough power for the opponent to not want to recieve anymore.. (open palm to head, knees elbows closed fists to body) and to be absolutley honest ive submitted more when theres been striking involved.. (we also sometimes warm up with noGI grappling without strikes) .. I seldom strike myself and I know thats a weakness in my groundgame, so im learning to use strikes to open up their defenses.

I mean learning self defense is good, but why are you grappling then? I mean youre gonna get youre face stomped into a the pavement if you try to bring it to the ground. Why not buy a gun or maze if youre only doing it for self defense.. i dont get it

snigg said:
how do you incorporate stiking into your grappling, safely? head gear? little gloves? thanks guys...
We just use mma gloves and the honor system. Like Jaggulat1on said, enough power for the opponent to not want to recieve anymore but nothing really serious. Now I'm off to gi practice....

I used to have a hour and a half session of just sparring once a week and we tended to mix in some striking matches, both with and without gis. Really helped break up training, made it more interesting and forced you to avoid doing some things that you could get away with if it was just subd.

johil d'o said:
Most BJJ training is done without strikes. I guess therefore we are all just wasting our time training BJJ. Oh well, it was fun while the delusion lasted that it had some benefit. Now I find out from someone named DonkeyKong that Rickson's school is absolutely worthless. Damn it. I hate to break the news to Rickson...

Rickson trained with strikes often. He learned BJJ as a self defense art, not as a sport

Back